Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-05, 07:13 PM   #1
joejack951
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Bikes: 1984 Trek 660, 2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i (RIP), 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2014 Islabikes CNOC 14 (son's)
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
I'm a little further along with my bike build and last night I started adjusting my front derailleur. I ran into a snag though and while I think I know the answer, I'd like a second opinion. The problem is that because of the design of the derailleur (large inner plate), when adjusted for the proper clearance on the 52 tooth outer ring, it hits my 42 tooth inner ring (Stronglight crankset). The Shimano website states that the derailleur was designed to work with 39 tooth middle rings but I didn't take that as it won't work with 42 tooth inner rings. In order to get it to clear the middle ring, it needs to be above the outer ring by about 5mm which I think is too much.

Anyone using this derailleur with a 42 tooth middle ring? How did you get it to work and how well does it work? If this won't work, can I use a Campy 10 speed front derailleur or a Shimano 9 speed which do not have the large inner plate?

[edit] I did more reading on Shimano's site and it states that the minimum difference between top and middle rings is 13 teeth. Certainly explains what I'm seeing. So can anyone suggest a front derailleur to work with Ultegra 10 shifters and a 52/42/30 crankset? [edit]

Last edited by joejack951; 03-11-05 at 07:36 PM.
joejack951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 07:35 PM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack951
I'm a little further along with my bike build and last night I started adjusting my front derailleur. I ran into a snag though and while I think I know the answer, I'd like a second opinion. The problem is that because of the design of the derailleur (large inner plate), when adjusted for the proper clearance on the 52 tooth outer ring, it hits my 42 tooth inner ring (Stronglight crankset). The Shimano website states that the derailleur was designed to work with 39 tooth middle rings but I didn't take that as it won't work with 42 tooth inner rings. In order to get it to clear the middle ring, it needs to be above the outer ring by about 5mm which I think is too much.

Anyone using this derailleur with a 42 tooth middle ring? How did you get it to work and how well does it work? If this won't work, can I use a Campy 10 speed front derailleur or a Shimano 9 speed which do not have the large inner plate?
If you want the correct FD for a 42 middle,use a 105 9 speed. Otherwise switch the 42 out for a 39. Campy is not going to work with shinmao STI on a triple setup.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 07:38 PM   #3
joejack951
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Bikes: 1984 Trek 660, 2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i (RIP), 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2014 Islabikes CNOC 14 (son's)
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
If you want the correct FD for a 42 middle,use a 105 9 speed. Otherwise switch the 42 out for a 39. Campy is not going to work with shinmao STI on a triple setup.
The 105 9 speed derailleur will work properly with a 10 speed chain? If so, I'll probably do that and if I'm not happy with it I guess I'll be stuck switching to a 39 middle ring. Thanks.
joejack951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 09:31 PM   #4
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack951
The 105 9 speed derailleur will work properly with a 10 speed chain? If so, I'll probably do that and if I'm not happy with it I guess I'll be stuck switching to a 39 middle ring. Thanks.

I had the same problem the other way around. My pops wanted a 39 to go with the sora triple. It did not shift right not b/c of lack of ramp but b/c the ring was too low for the drl...you can see a grove where the chain is suppo to go. So I put the 42 back in defeat. I was going to look for the right drl for the job and ask here.

and by the way I really tried to get it work.
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 11:03 AM   #5
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg300
I had the same problem the other way around. My pops wanted a 39 to go with the sora triple. It did not shift right not b/c of lack of ramp but b/c the ring was too low for the drl...you can see a grove where the chain is suppo to go. So I put the 42 back in defeat. I was going to look for the right drl for the job and ask here.

and by the way I really tried to get it work.
The Dura-Ace 9-speed triple derailleur is designed to run with a 39 middle ring.

Last edited by Al1943; 03-12-05 at 11:09 AM.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 05:24 PM   #6
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 17,162
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
It's pretty sad when we can't even regear our bikes modestly without replacing derailleurs.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 05:31 PM   #7
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E
It's pretty sad when we can't even regear our bikes modestly without replacing derailleurs.
What's this we business John? Did you finally come over to the dark side of Shimano STI?
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 PM.