Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-05, 04:14 AM   #1
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok recently I bent the wheel on my mountain bike. I'd like to buy a new set of wheels for it with sealed hubs and double wall rims. I was looking around the net but I dont know what to order or whats compatible with what. PLEASE HELP

It's got a front disc brake thats held on by 6 allen bolts and the rear is a regular vbrake. But the chainstays do have mounts for rear discs.

I also need a place to find this stuff over the net. Is there a popular place that sells parts online?

PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Also I've got about 250-300 to spend so nothing to fancy. It will be used to go to and from work and to ride up and down the mountains they have here in korea
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 04:15 AM   #2
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/120...-Lite-Rims.htm
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 04:23 AM   #3
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of casset should I get for the rear hub?

btw thanks for the quick response!

Also what about these: link

I forgot to mention if they could be all black
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 04:27 AM   #4
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96s10
What kind of casset should I get for the rear hub?

btw thanks for the quick response!

Also what about these: link

I forgot to mention if they could be all black

It would help if I knew how many speeds we were talking about. I'm not a mind reader.
Personally I like SRAM products

The Rhynolite is a stronger wheel.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 04:34 AM   #5
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Damn you guys get stuff cheap.
anthonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 04:35 AM   #6
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry the front has 3 and the back has 6 so im guessing its an 18speed.
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 05:41 AM   #7
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep 18 speeds all up, 6 speed cassette.
anthonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 07:05 AM   #8
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonaut
Yep 18 speeds all up, 6 speed cassette.
Are all cassettes compatible with all hubs? Or is it brand on brand?
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 03:05 AM   #9
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96s10
Are all cassettes compatible with all hubs? Or is it brand on brand?
For a 6 speed rear, you're going to need a spacer to get it to work on any of the wheels I've shown you. What did you buy a bike at the BX or is it a hand me down "GI bike"
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 03:38 AM   #10
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL no its not a hand me down. I bought it at the PX/BX yes. Hopefully I can get household goods to ship it for me when I leave too.

I looked today and its a 21speed SORRY! So are these cassettes pressed on? How would I get the old 7 off? Also do I need a spacer for a 7speed cassette?
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 03:42 AM   #11
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96s10
LOL no its not a hand me down. I bought it at the PX/BX yes. Hopefully I can get household goods to ship it for me when I leave too.

I looked today and its a 21speed SORRY! So are these cassettes pressed on? How would I get the old 7 off? Also do I need a spacer for a 7speed cassette?
If it's something you bought at the BX, it's a X-mart special, and if you're already talking about leaving you're a short timer in country and you really don't want to bring that back with you. Use the weight savings under the cap for something cool. Sell it to someone green and buy a decent bike when you get stateside. To answer the question assuming that it IS a cassette you'd need a spacer for 7
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 07:20 AM   #12
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
If it's something you bought at the BX, it's a X-mart special, and if you're already talking about leaving you're a short timer in country and you really don't want to bring that back with you. Use the weight savings under the cap for something cool. Sell it to someone green and buy a decent bike when you get stateside. To answer the question assuming that it IS a cassette you'd need a spacer for 7
So true

I'm just trying to find out how people have nice bikes over here? I've seen a couple canyondales on post. This is my first duty station so I'm still green myself!
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 09:20 AM   #13
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
For a 6 speed rear, you're going to need a spacer to get it to work on any of the wheels I've shown you. What did you buy a bike at the BX or is it a hand me down "GI bike"
Actually, if its 6 speed it could just as well be a freewheel.That could also apply to a cheap current 7 speed too.If it'sd a real cheapie it may even have bolt on axels. This guy ought to take it to a LBS that isn't populated by nose pickers and find out what he's got before throwing money down a rathole.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 11:34 PM   #14
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Actually, if its 6 speed it could just as well be a freewheel.That could also apply to a cheap current 7 speed too.If it'sd a real cheapie it may even have bolt on axels. This guy ought to take it to a LBS that isn't populated by nose pickers and find out what he's got before throwing money down a rathole.
IF you had your reading comprehension switch turned on you would have seen that he was interested in a NEW wheelset which means if he wanted to get a decent deal it would (in most cases) make sense for him to get a wheelset with disc hubs front and rear as that's how the bulk of them are sold. He ALSO corrected himself and said that it's a 7 speed rear not a 6 speed which renders your point moot anyway.

Tell you what since you're the "expert" how about you show me a decent quality multispeed disc wheelset that's compatible with a freewheel and sold within his price range. Otherwise take your "nosepicker" comments elsewhere.
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 03-14-05 at 12:15 AM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 05:57 AM   #15
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well i talked around and found a korean bikeshop that the owner spoke some english So i bought a pretty nice wheel:

Some sealed shimano hub w/ 8gear cassette
Alex Double wall rim
Pretty nice looking 14gauge spokes

I prolly got ripped (100) but its a VERY nice wheel.
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 03:58 PM   #16
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96s10
Well i talked around and found a korean bikeshop that the owner spoke some english So i bought a pretty nice wheel:

Some sealed shimano hub w/ 8gear cassette
Alex Double wall rim
Pretty nice looking 14gauge spokes

I prolly got ripped (100) but its a VERY nice wheel.
Did you get a new shifter for the rear as well?
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 02:44 AM   #17
96s10
n00b army guy
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stationed in S. Korea
Bikes: Mongoose
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh no its all weird now. He didnt have any shifters. He had a niiiiiice custom trek there! He want 980 for it tho!!

I'm going to hitup the mountains now! I'll be sure to take some pics!
96s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 03:11 AM   #18
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget www.qbike.com. My favorite search engine/price comparator.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.