Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    wheel size : tube size : tire size...confused

    I just had a shop rebuild one of my bikes. They put the tires on backwards so I took them off which is when I noticed that the tires and tubes were way bigger than what I previously had on the wheels and seem too big. Can anyone tell me if these tubes and tires are too big for my wheel?

    Wheel Size: 622-14
    Tube Size: 700x28/32c
    Tire Size: 37-622 (28x1 3/8 x 1 5/8)

    My previous tires were 25-622 (700x25c) and they seem to be a perfect fit. These new tires are supposed to be cold weather tires. Is that why they sized them up? Is this safe? If it is acceptable, I don't know how I'm going to get them back on either way. I've tried multiple times and I've been unsuccessful. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    622 is the BSD (Bead seat diameter) in millimeters also known as ISO, since ISO uses BSD to describe rim size. It is the same as 700c. 14 should be the inner width of the rim where the tire goes in millimeters.

    Tube size is for 700c rims/tires and the tube is suitable for tires between 28-32mm. Ignore where the c is. People debate where the c belongs, but it means the 700 is 700c. There are other 700 sizes but they are exceptionally rare.

    The tire size means 37mm width, for a 622 BSD (700c) rim. That means your tube is too small, although you might be able to get away with it. Sheldon Brown would advise not using a 37mm wide tire on a 14mm wide rim. You might also want to check you have the frame clearance. The difference between 25mm and 37mm is rather large.

    You can read more here. http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

  3. #3
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    12,117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your new tires are significantly larger than your old tires. Not huge, but bigger than what you were running.
    Have never heard of cold weather tires. Do they have a tread that would work better with snow?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  4. #4
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edwardsville or Chicago Illinois
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Posts
    9,583
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Your new tires are significantly larger than your old tires. Not huge, but bigger than what you were running.
    Have never heard of cold weather tires. Do they have a tread that would work better with snow?
    He might have Continental Top Contact Winters. These are not studded, but the tread design and compound is intended for winter weather. See: http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...Winter_en.html
    When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

  5. #5
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    12,117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    He might have Continental Top Contact Winters. These are not studded, but the tread design and compound is intended for winter weather. See: http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicy...Winter_en.html
    Interesting.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Your new tires are significantly larger than your old tires. Not huge, but bigger than what you were running.
    Have never heard of cold weather tires. Do they have a tread that would work better with snow?
    They're not "cold weather tires", just tires that have more tread on them. I have a surly so I can put some decent sized tires on. They put some Continental Travel Contacts on.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Cycle View Post
    622 is the BSD (Bead seat diameter) in millimeters also known as ISO, since ISO uses BSD to describe rim size. It is the same as 700c. 14 should be the inner width of the rim where the tire goes in millimeters.

    Tube size is for 700c rims/tires and the tube is suitable for tires between 28-32mm. Ignore where the c is. People debate where the c belongs, but it means the 700 is 700c. There are other 700 sizes but they are exceptionally rare.

    The tire size means 37mm width, for a 622 BSD (700c) rim. That means your tube is too small, although you might be able to get away with it. Sheldon Brown would advise not using a 37mm wide tire on a 14mm wide rim. You might also want to check you have the frame clearance. The difference between 25mm and 37mm is rather large.

    You can read more here. http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    Thanks. I've read Sheldon Brown's webpage regarding all this info, but I'm an idiot. The frame clearance is fine because it's a Surly.

    It sounds like the tire width is too large for the wheel and the tube is too small for the oversized tire. My next question...what is the ideal sized tire I should purchase for my wheels? Was my old tire, the 25-622 (700cx25) the ideal size? How much bigger could I go?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably get away with 28mm or even 32mm. Sheldon lists 25mm for 13mm and 32mm for 15mm. That would place 28mm for 14mm in the middle. Beyond that, while you could still fit fatter tires on the rims, it may be wise to use wider rims for wider tires but you could probably still get away with going a little wider than what Sheldon recommends.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 road bikes
    Posts
    5,325
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are fine, if you wanted sturdy, last forever, heavy, tires on your bike. probably get fewer flats too. it's up to you. i wouldn't worry about the tube size.

    the fact that you can't remount the tires is problematic though. if you DO get a flat, it could turn out to be a real inconvenience.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
    you are fine, if you wanted sturdy, last forever, heavy, tires on your bike. probably get fewer flats too. it's up to you. i wouldn't worry about the tube size.

    the fact that you can't remount the tires is problematic though. if you DO get a flat, it could turn out to be a real inconvenience.
    I definitely did want sturdy tires for the winter, so that is good news. I'll go back to the lbs to see if they can show me the trick to getting them on.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. After I got the assurance that the tires weren't too big I got them on pretty easily. It was a mental thing.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,593
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tubes will pretty much stretch to fit whatever casing they're put in, and it's very rarely an immediate problem.
    The more they stretch, the thinner the rubber gets though, which can influence how well they hold pressure, and may also make them more vulnerable to getting flats.
    A tube from the lower end of the range is often recommended, as it can make it easier to mount the tire w/o damaging the tube.
    Yours is rated to go to 32 and you're using it in a 37, not a big deal.
    I'd replace-if-proven-needed, but otherwise ride it.

  13. #13
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    16,388
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monroeja View Post
    Thanks. I've read Sheldon Brown's webpage regarding all this info, but I'm an idiot. The frame clearance is fine because it's a Surly.

    It sounds like the tire width is too large for the wheel and the tube is too small for the oversized tire. My next question...what is the ideal sized tire I should purchase for my wheels? Was my old tire, the 25-622 (700cx25) the ideal size? How much bigger could I go?
    Brown's chart for tire fit is overly conservative. Mountain bikes regularly use 17mm rims with 50mm wide tires without issues. He mentions this above the chart

    If you use a very wide tire on a narrow rim, you risk sidewall or rim failure. This combination causes very sloppy handling at low speeds. Unfortunately, current mountain-bike fashion pushes the edge of this... Such narrow rims work very poorly with wide tires, unless the tires are overinflated...
    Very wide tires do put some stress the rim but rim failure isn't all the common in mountain bikes. Sidewall failure is even less of a problem. And mountain bike tires are anything but "overinflated". They are usually run at from 20 to 45psi, depending on rider weight and trail conditions. And mountain bikes spend a lot of time in low speed situations where handling is very important. Brown wasn't a mountain biker so he had no experience with the issues.

    You shouldn't be overly concerned about the tires on your bike. You shouldn't be concerned at all about the tubes. Tube expand to fill the tire. If they had put 19/23mm tubes in the tires, the tubes would still stretch enough to fill the space. They might be a little thinner when filled but that's not much of a problem is practice. With the exception of "thorn proof" tubes, tubes don't provide much protection against puncture. The difference in thickness between a 19/23mm tube stretched to fill a 37mm tire and a 37mm tube are only going to be fractions of an inch...not enough to make a difference.

    I'd say ride the tires and see how they work. An added bonus of wide tires is that the rolling resistance is lower. It's counter-intuitive but true.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,360
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about the tube, it will be fine.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,299
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try them and see. It really depends on how you plan to use the bike and what you are use to. If your bike feels sluggish it's because the tires are too big and too heavy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •