Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    ......... diggy488's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My Bikes
    2012 C'dale Supersix
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Please help troubleshoot ticking sound. Maybe BB30 ? *VIDEO*

    I'm getting a ticking/pinging sound when I apply a lot of pressure to the pedals, like when climbing a hill or sprinting. While on the trainer, I can feel the pinging when I grip the frame. I don't think it's a pedal bearing nor is it my cleats. I don't feel it through my feet. I get the same sound if I wear flip flops. Performance otherwise feels normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Don't know if it's worth getting checked out. Please excuse mess (kids' playroom).

    More info:
    • 2012 Cannondale Supersix (1,400 miles)
    • Happens at the same crank position (top peak of right crank)
    • Only happens when applying lots of pressure (climbing/sprinting)
    • Ticking sound may be soft or loud
    • Changed seats and adjusted seat post - no change


    Last edited by diggy488; 02-07-14 at 10:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard procedure is to first tighten both pedals and crank arms. Sounds like too low a pitch to be chainwheel bolts, too high to be in the BB - though I'll admit to very little exposure to BB30's.

    If you want to be thorough remove the pedals and crank arms, clean the interface surface between pedal and crank with steel wool, then grease pedal threads, splines, and the face that the cranks fit against.
    Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-07-14 at 11:08 AM.
    There's no such thing as a routine repair.

    Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

    If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

    Please take the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Posts
    2,897
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the easiest thing first; remove the pedals, clean and grease the pedal and crank threads, re-install and properly tighten the pedals.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PDX
    My Bikes
    Orbea & Bianchi
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also check the rear quick release. My "BB30 click" was found to be a rear quick release that didn't have enough clamping force. Greasing the rear drops and replacing the quick release with a heavier duty one made it go away. In my case the noise was transmitted by the chain stays and it sounded like it came from the BB.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the quick-release.
    You fixed my flat tire and now my light doesn't work, so...

  6. #6
    Senior Member bikeman715's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Salinas , Ca.
    My Bikes
    Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others
    Posts
    2,090
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +2 on the QR .
    bikeman715

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,683
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rollers limit troubleshooting in that coasting, standing up, etc. is difficult, if not impossible. i'd take it out, if practicable, and eliminate possibilities by coasting while simultaneously standing, which eliminate many possibilities. there are other tests that can also be made.

    i've often had success isolating noises well before my ride has ended. good luck.

    for example: assume you have 1 million in stock, and you lose half of it each day. you'd be surprised at how soon you will become a pauper.
    Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-07-14 at 04:59 PM.

  8. #8
    ......... diggy488's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My Bikes
    2012 C'dale Supersix
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input thus far. I know it's extremely hard to help without looking at it closer, so thanks again. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

    This has been happening on the road for several rides. The video was taken last night and it was the first time on a trainer with a different skewer, so that can be eliminated. It definitely sounds like it's around the cranks/bb area though.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diggy488 View Post
    It definitely sounds like it's around the cranks/bb area though.
    If I got a penny everytime someone came in with a noise like that and it WAS the BB or crankset I'd be a millionaire.

    All creaks and pings and whatnot sound as if they come from the BB area, especially on carbon frames.

    Some causes:

    Loose bolt that secures the aluminum dropout to a carbon rear end on some Pinarello.

    A dry/corroded bottle cage bolt

    The aforementioned rear quick release

    Rusted out cartridge headset bearings

    Dry carbon headset spacers rubbing against eachother

    This one actually in the BB: BB30 bearings mounted without grease ('But I just had the bearings replaced!')

    Another one in that area: Undertightened/dry mounted crankset bolt

    Chainring bolts

    Seatpost dry mounted

    Corroded seatpost clamp

    Seat rails

    Derailer hanger slightly loose and rubbing against dropout.

    Broken pawl spring in freewheel body

    Destroyed to the point of exploding freewheel body bearings.

    This one is my favourite:

    Customer comes in with an immaculately cleaned drivetrain and complains about creaking noise.

    I test ride and hear this horrible metal against metal screeching sound.

    Come back, lube chain and voila problem solved. The look on his face: priceless.
    Last edited by Batavus; 02-08-14 at 03:58 AM.
    You fixed my flat tire and now my light doesn't work, so...

  10. #10
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diggy488 View Post
    ... Thanks for the input thus far. I know it's extremely hard to help without looking at it closer, so thanks again. Any other tips are greatly appreciated...
    A longer list is irrelevant until you've tried the primary suggestion of grease and tighten cranks/BB, and if that does not work you needed to focus on causes that would be in response to the stress of crank revs.
    Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-08-14 at 05:40 AM.
    There's no such thing as a routine repair.

    Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

    If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

    Please take the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

  11. #11
    ......... diggy488's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My Bikes
    2012 C'dale Supersix
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batavus View Post
    If I got a penny everytime someone came in with a noise like that and it WAS the BB or crankset I'd be a millionaire.

    All creaks and pings and whatnot sound as if they come from the BB area, especially on carbon frames.

    Some causes:

    Loose bolt that secures the aluminum dropout to a carbon rear end on some Pinarello.

    A dry/corroded bottle cage bolt

    The aforementioned rear quick release

    Rusted out cartridge headset bearings

    Dry carbon headset spacers rubbing against eachother

    This one actually in the BB: BB30 bearings mounted without grease ('But I just had the bearings replaced!')

    Another one in that area: Undertightened/dry mounted crankset bolt

    Chainring bolts

    Seatpost dry mounted

    Corroded seatpost clamp

    Seat rails

    Derailer hanger slightly loose and rubbing against dropout.

    Broken pawl spring in freewheel body

    Destroyed to the point of exploding freewheel body bearings.

    This one is my favourite:

    Customer comes in with an immaculately cleaned drivetrain and complains about creaking noise.

    I test ride and hear this horrible metal against metal screeching sound.

    Come back, lube chain and voila problem solved. The look on his face: priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by cny-bikeman View Post
    A longer list is irrelevant until you've tried the primary suggestion of grease and tighten cranks/BB, and if that does not work you needed to focus on causes that would be in response to the stress of crank revs.

    Many thanks to you both. I will check out the mentioned items.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •