Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Peugeot Corvier Read Axle bent (http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/937292-peugeot-corvier-read-axle-bent.html)

databaze 03-08-14 12:55 PM

Peugeot Corvier Read Axle bent
 
3 Attachment(s)
I have an old Peugeot Corbier that has a bent rear axle, it is not a huge bent but noticeable when spinning the wheel. I would like to find a new axle but I am having a little trouble with measurements & source for this same axle.

The read wheel has a maillard freewheel 24 spline, with a Sachs Huret hub (?), the axle is measured by ruler end to end 163 mm & 8.77 mm diameter in center measured with caliper & 9.30 mm over the threads. It looks like this:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=367779http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=367777http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=367778

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fietsbob 03-08-14 01:02 PM

bronze tools let you bang on it without messing up steel threads, because, bronze is softer.

you might be able to straighten out, what you have for now.

have you asked at your LBS or you want only online stores ? I have no input on the latter..


C&V may have some horders of discontinued parts like old Peugeots require

FBinNY 03-08-14 01:23 PM

First of all, a bent axle doesn't affect the spinning wheel in any way, because the axle is stationary. Yes, the axle will wobble when it's spun while the wheel is stationary, but that's not an issue in the real world.

I suspect that you have a 9.5mm axle (threads often measure short because the crests are truncated), and they are available from a few sources. However, no harm will come from using this axle either as is. Or you may try to straighten a bit by mounting the cone and locknut and setting it up against the bend. Then stand in a vise and use a piece of pipe to lever it, or gently tap it home with a plastic mallet.

Either way, use the bad side to the left, so the stronger, undamaged side is on the right where stresses are higher. If you don't straighten the axle, it's orientation may slightly affect the wheel position, so mark one spot so you can always mount the wheel with that spot in the same place.

databaze 03-08-14 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16560245)
bronze tools let you bang on it without messing up steel threads, because, bronze is softer.

you might be able to straighten out, what you have for now.

have you asked at your LBS or you want only online stores ? I have no input on the latter..


C&V may have some horders of discontinued parts like old Peugeots require

Hi fletsbob, thank you for your reply, I would rather buy it online, I do not have a shop close by and the ones in town are kind of stuck up & don't like to deal with old bikes. I also rather buy a new one than try to bend it back.

C&V? Sorry I'm quite new to the slang.

Quote:

First of all, a bent axle doesn't affect the spinning wheel in any way, because the axle is stationary. Yes, the axle will wobble when it's spun while the wheel is stationary, but that's not an issue in the real world.

I suspect that you have a 9.5mm axle (threads often measure short because the crests are truncated), and they are available from a few sources. However, no harm will come from using this axle either as is. Or you may try to straighten a bit by mounting the cone and locknut and setting it up against the bend. Then stand in a vise and use a piece of pipe to lever it, or gently tap it home with a plastic mallet.

Either way, use the bad side to the left, so the stronger, undamaged side is on the right where stresses are higher. If you don't straighten the axle, it's orientation may slightly affect the wheel position, so mark one spot so you can always mount the wheel with that spot in the same place.
Thanks FBinNY, I wish I had all the tools to be able to bend it back into shape but at this point I rather buy a new one if possible, if you also know of any places I could get one from, please let me know. Thank you for your reply, I will eventually get to the point where I can do these kinds of fixes myself and use your recommendation.

FBinNY 03-08-14 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by databaze (Post 16560340)

C&V? Sorry I'm quite new to the slang.

Classic and Vintage forum here on BF
Quote:

Originally Posted by databaze (Post 16560340)


Thanks FBinNY, I wish I had all the tools to be able to bend it back into shape but at this point I rather buy a new one if possible, if you also know if any places I could get one from, please let me know.

Quick search for 9.5mm QR axle. You can simply enter 9.5mm axle and scroll through the listings.

databaze 03-08-14 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 16560346)
Classic and Vintage forum here on BF


Quick search for 9.5mm QR axle. You can simply enter 9.5mm axle and scroll through the listings.

Again, thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Chombi 03-08-14 01:51 PM

As mentioned by FBinNY, many confuse freewheel wobble to a bent axle. Freewheel wobble is pretty much normal. while bent axles should be fixed, a small amount freewheel wobble is pretty much normal for about 90 percent of freewheels out there. It was just acceptable manufacturing tolerances involved in putting threads on freewheel bodies back then, that is in play. Best way to fin out whether you have a bent axle is to roll the axle on something really flat and true like a glass table. If there is a hop when you roll it, then you can find out where it is bent. If you are competent enough a mechanic, you might be able to straighten the axle yourself using creative methods with hand tools but it would be easier for most to just change out the axle.
I've straightened out a few steel axles through the years using a plastic dead blow mallet and a good sturdy surface (These days, I use a section of heavy rubber parking lot bumper stop to act like a resilient anvil) to put the axle on while I give it a few measured, careful blows from the mallet and checking it for straightness on a glass surface. As long as the bend is not too bad, it should be easy enough to straighten the axle, but if the bent is too much, you might end up with an axle that will be weakened if atempts are made to straighten it. You have to make that call whether to bother fixing it or just replacing it.
Lots of spare NOS axles always for sale at eBay, so you most likely will find the right one easy enough if you have to go that way....

fietsbob 03-08-14 01:54 PM

Roll the axle like a pool Cue how bent is it?

I like people to have Jobs , At other than Amazon warehouses ,

so that is why I reccoment a relationship with the local businesses ..

databaze 03-08-14 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chombi (Post 16560355)
As mentioned by FBinNY, many confuse freewheel wobble to a bent axle. Freewheel wobble is pretty much normal. while bent axales should be fixed, a small amount freewheel wobble is pretty much normal for about 90 percent of freewheels out there. It was just acceptable manufacturing tolerances involved in putting threads on freewheel bodies back then, that is in play. Best way to fin out whether you have a bent axle is to roll the axle on something really flat and true like a glass table. If there is a hop when you roll it, then you can find out where it is bent. If you are competent enough a mechanic, you might be able to straighten the axle yourself using creative methods with hand tools but it would be easier for most to just change out the axle.
I've straightened out a few steel axles through the years using a plastic dead blow mallet and a good sturdy surface (These days, I use a section of heavy rubber parking lot bumper stop to act like a resilient anvil) to put the axle on while I give it a few measured, careful blows from the mallet and checking it for straightness on a glass surface. As long as the bend is not too bad, it should be easy enough to straighten the axle, but if the bent is too much, you might end up with an axle that will be weakened if atempts are made to straighten it. You have to make that call whether to bother fixing it or just replacing it.
Lots of spare NOS axles always for sale at eBay, so you most likely will find the right one easy enough if you have to go that way....

Thanks for the reply, I did test the axle on the glass table I took the photos on, it is bent on the left side (by photo placement), I do know that the wobble is not that huge, but since I started learning how to clean, fix, etc my own bikes and this is a good training, I can live with it but it would be great to learn more about this kind of axle, the "guide" on it also is required for the washers to be used, and that would be another thing that I would have to get if I can't get the same axle. I really thanks all who took the time to reply, the input is great on this forum, I am glad I am a part of it. Again, thanks

databaze 03-08-14 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16560360)
oll the axle like a pool Cue how bent is it?

I like people to have Jobs , At other than Amazon warehouses ,

so that is why I reccoment a relationship with the local businesses ..

Oh I agree, I do too, but some times you can't choose who owns small businesses and who they want as customers, sadly, in my case all they work with is high end new road bikes..I may have to venture away from my city to find someone that works with vintage bikes.
Thanks!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.