Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 81 of 81
  1. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
    I bought some Chain-L in So. Cal. It has the distinctive oder of gear oil.
    I could be wrong, but IIRC what you're smelling is a sulfur additive which is supposed to improve lubrication under high pressure or something like that. Park Cutting Oil also smells a little like that, BTW. It doesn't mean they're all the same stuff though (though I wouldn't be surprised if the cutting oil fared well as a chain lube).

  2. #77
    "LOGIC!" lopek77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SE MICHIGAN
    My Bikes
    10 Specialized Crosstrail, 09 Raleigh Mojave 5.0, 70's Panasonic DX-2000, 70's Schwinn world traveler (originally owned by Prady family - "The Big Bang Theory") , 96 Mongoose switchback, 80's Romet Wigry 2, 80's Romet Wigry 3, Romet Pelikan...
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
    I could be wrong, but IIRC what you're smelling is a sulfur additive which is supposed to improve lubrication under high pressure or something like that. Park Cutting Oil also smells a little like that, BTW. It doesn't mean they're all the same stuff though (though I wouldn't be surprised if the cutting oil fared well as a chain lube).
    Gear oil includes some additives that helps in high pressure applications. After reading all the opinions and "science" behind chain lubes, I think I will go back to my old diy mix. I didn't use any oil lubes on my first "modern" chain in 3x7, and it lasted the same amount of miles looking and working good, the same way as other chains that received a lot of lube love.
    It's one of a very few topics that gets so many completely different opinions...
    "The clear problem of the outlawing of insult is that too many things can be interpreted as such. Criticism, ridicule, sarcasm, merely stating an alternative point of view to the orthodoxy, can be interpreted as insult." - Rowan Atkinson
    Cycling Videos

  3. #78
    Senior Member trailangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    SOMA ES, MEDICI PRO STRADA, JAMIS CODA COMP
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Chain-L.
    It's thick, and so is the factory lube that comes on the chain, it's like grease.
    Some of these companies use the "fast food" way of marketing. They come up with a different lube for different weather or terrain... just to get you back in the store to buy something new.
    So to answer the OP's question, use thick lube.
    Beside, the smell of the Chain-L takes me back when I used gear oil...it's like coming home!

  4. #79
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
    I like the Chain-L.
    It's thick, and so is the factory lube that comes on the chain, it's like grease.
    Some of these companies use the "fast food" way of marketing. They come up with a different lube for different weather or terrain... just to get you back in the store to buy something new.
    So to answer the OP's question, use thick lube.
    Beside, the smell of the Chain-L takes me back when I used gear oil...it's like coming home!
    The smell of Dumonde is similar to when you disturb a large red ant pile... like pheromones.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  5. #80
    Senior Member trailangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    SOMA ES, MEDICI PRO STRADA, JAMIS CODA COMP
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never bent over to smell an ant hill.
    What is that like?

  6. #81
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
    I've never bent over to smell an ant hill.
    What is that like?
    You've never played with ants? Lucky you!
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •