Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Back home in Iowa
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    To sleeve or not to sleeve, that is the question.

    I am considering replacing my carbon seat post, one I have found is a smaller diameter, it is carbon. Is it OK to sleeve a carbon frame for a carbon seat post?

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,014
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the aluminum accurately machined sizing shim should be fine ..

    though I'm told 7000 series aluminum , because of its Zn content is not the best, in contact with carbon..

    but 6000 series should be fine ..

    have used several shim adaptations 25.0 seat posts in 27.0 & 27.2 frames

    have shims around the 27.2 thudbuster seatposts in 2 bikes I use all the time, now ..

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tim_Iowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    My Bikes
    1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1997 Giordana XL-Eco (gofast), 2005 Cannondale F400 (MTB), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel grinder), 2015 Specialized Fatboy
    Posts
    369
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you'll be ok if you:

    1) Use the correct seatpost shim. Problem solvers sells many, and any LBS can order from their catalog.
    2) Use carbon assembly paste

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    24,954
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, but there's the issue of galvanic corrosion where carbon and aluminum meet. Use an anti-seize and hopefully there'll be enough traction to hold. Otherwise you can use carbon assembly paste which offers more traction on both the inner and outer surfaces of the sleeve.

    Lastly, the slot in the sleeve and seat tube have to line up so the clamp can work effectively. That means you'll have an open channel for war to enter the frame. I use a dab of silicone bathtub caulk to seal this, and even with a decent seal make sure I have an open weep hole in the BB shell of all my bikes.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  5. #5
    Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Back home in Iowa
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bike doesn't get ridden in the rain, not saying it couldn't get caught out if it started raining. Would there be any advantage to using a thermoplastic shim?

  6. #6
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,014
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, trying to imply, the C-Zn Al being more reactive than a C-Si Al alloy being 1 difference in the 2 alloy groups

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 road bikes
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldn't involve any shim unless there was no other alternative, so i would search for a post of the right dimension. if all else fails, i wouldn't worry at all about a carbon post/alloy shim/carbon seattube combo.

    if i understand it correctly, a galvanic reaction involves two dissimilar metals in contact and an electrolyte. there is only one metal and precious little electrolyte, but others will no doubt disagree.
    Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-16-14 at 03:06 PM.

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,014
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the epoxy of the composite is thick enough .

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    1990 Romic Reynolds 531, 2009 Giant TCR Advanced custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build
    Posts
    11,666
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
    i wouldn't involve any shim unless there was no other alternative, so i would search for a post of the right dimension. if all else fails, i wouldn't worry at all about a carbon post/alloy shim/carbon seattube combo.

    if i understand it correctly, a galvanic reaction involves two dissimilar metals in contact and an electrolyte. there is only one metal and precious little electrolyte, but others will no doubt disagree.
    Galvanvic reaction does not require two metals per se, just two substances of different electrolytic potential. Cabon qualifies just like in a low end dry cell battery.
    Robert

    My hero: "Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nuthin'..." (Joel Chandler Harris, Uncle Remus")

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Yes, but there's the issue of galvanic corrosion where carbon and aluminum meet. Use an anti-seize and hopefully there'll be enough traction to hold. Otherwise you can use carbon assembly paste which offers more traction on both the inner and outer surfaces of the sleeve.
    Anti-seize prevents corrosion by way of a metal filler at lower potential than what you're protecting.

    Most anti-seize is aluminum based; and while you get some protection from the grease excluding water there's nothing to sacrificially corrode instead of an alloy bike part. In fact, the zinc-based alloys used for structural purposes are at a lower potential and should oxidize preferentially to the pure aluminum in the anti-seize.

    Zinc based anti-seize is intended for aluminum.

  11. #11
    Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Back home in Iowa
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the insight. I seen a seat post for sale on the forum I was considering, unfortunately I realized this afternoon as I was getting ready to head out and get a few miles in, I left my cycling shoes behind after Saturdays ride. So instead of replacing my stem and seat post, I will be buying new shoes. Crap like this almost makes me physically sick.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    24,954
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Giant View Post
    Thanks to all for the insight. I seen a seat post for sale on the forum I was considering, unfortunately I realized this afternoon as I was getting ready to head out and get a few miles in, I left my cycling shoes behind after Saturdays ride. So instead of replacing my stem and seat post, I will be buying new shoes. Crap like this almost makes me physically sick.
    I'm sorry to hear that, but shoes? I've heard of helmets, and front wheels being lost this way, but shoes? Did you go home barefoot?

    Sorry to give you some grief, which I hope you'll accept as good natured, but sometimes you have to laugh in the face of minor misfortune.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  13. #13
    Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Back home in Iowa
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, but shoes? I've heard of helmets, and front wheels being lost this way, but shoes? Did you go home barefoot?

    Sorry to give you some grief, which I hope you'll accept as good natured, but sometimes you have to laugh in the face of minor misfortune.
    Taken as intended, I can't drive wearing them so I wear flip flops to and from the trail and switch. I took them off and intended to set them in the back of the truck with my bike, didn't realize they weren't there when I got home, had I noticed I may have been able to go back for them.

    Live and learn, someone got a nice pair of cycling shoes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •