Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Senior Member jpatkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Gunnar, Surly
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "I would never rebuild a wheel, even a new one." - mechanic to me

    I just bought a Surly Disc Trucker. It's fitted with Alex Adventurer, 36h black rims (which I can't find on the Alex website). I have decided to fit a generator hub to the bike, and figured I would leverage the shops 30-day discount for accessories and labor. The rim looks to cost around $30 (assuming the shop can find one with a black side wall). I can't seem to wrap my head around the need to buy a new rim for my build. The mechanic explained that it is just too risky, even with the new rim on my bike -- it will likely be very difficult to true. "Just keep the current wheel as a spare, or give it to a friend."

    Does this sound rational to everyone here? I have no experience with this!

  2. #2
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There would be no problem lacing the rim to a new hub. However, if a new hoop is only $30, I think keeping the wheel as a backup makes sense.

  3. #3
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A spare wheelset is always good to have. I don't currently have one since I used my good set on my new bike build and put the spare set on my old bike which I sold... Guess I need to go buy a new wheelset!

  4. #4
    Collector of Useless Info
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,404
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may be incompetent. Find a new shop to build the wheel. I've rebuilt many wheels with no issue, from replacing spokes to hubs to rims, re-using parts that were 20 years old. If he's afraid of re-using a new rim, he might be scared stiff of liability because he's not sure of his wheelbuilding ability.

    On the other hand, are you absolutely *sure* you want to use an Alex rim on your new wheel? Maybe that's the hesitancy the mechanic has...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,556
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would never disassemble a decent wheel. Not because rebuilding on a slightly used rim would be a problem, but because the built wheel is worth more that what you'd save.

    Also consider the shop's issues. If they disassemble the wheel, it's a time consuming process to do so without risking distorting the rim. If you do it, they are relying on you to do it right (though they can tell you how), then is the question of sorting the spokes for reuse (sort 4 piles by flange and direction), and then the nipples may be in less than perfect condition, but that's a small cost.

    Save the wheel and build fresh.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  6. #6
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were building it yourself, then you could decide what is best for you. I'm not sure how "risky" it is, but the shop still has a choice in the matter. Find another shop, or lace it up yourself. You will still need to get the correct spokes.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  7. #7
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    5,905
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could sell it for more than your cost of a new rim.....................

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,439
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a difference between the mech voicing an opinion about wheel building in general, and turning away business. it sounds like the former. in addition, the statement may also be a result of differing opinions as regards the 30-day discount for accessories and labor.

  9. #9
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    You could sell it for more than your cost of a new rim.....................
    I'm wondering why he needs a new hub in the first place. I'm not at all familiar with the replacement hub. Is it of better quality?
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  10. #10
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
    there's a difference between the mech voicing an opinion about wheel building in general, and turning away business. it sounds like the former. in addition, the statement may also be a result of differing opinions as regards the 30-day discount for accessories and labor.
    Personally, I hate tearing down an old rim, and I could see a shop turning down that kind of business if they are already offering a discount.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW UK
    My Bikes
    1992 Marin Eldridge Grade, 2007 Kona PHD and 199? Trek 1000 (current build project)
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    I'm wondering why he needs a new hub in the first place. I'm not at all familiar with the replacement hub. Is it of better quality?
    He wants a new hub that comes with a generator built in to it, AIFAICT...

  12. #12
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    5,905
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    switch to generator hub

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    26,176
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The labor cost alone to unlace the old wheel, transfer in a new hub and relace it, even assuming the hub dimensions are close enough together to be a direct replacement, are probably a large fraction of the cost of a complete new wheel. Add in the cost of the generator hub itself and I agree that buying the wheel you want and either selling or keeping the old one intact as a spare is the smart way to go.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,540
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    The labor cost alone to unlace the old wheel, transfer in a new hub and relace it, even assuming the hub dimensions are close enough together to be a direct replacement, are probably a large fraction of the cost of a complete new wheel. Add in the cost of the generator hub itself and I agree that buying the wheel you want and either selling or keeping the old one intact as a spare is the smart way to go.
    All true.

    But the logic the mechanic used pretty much translates to, "I suck at wheelbuilding."

    He can't build a wheel with a used rim? If you can't build a wheel with a used rim, you really can't build it with a new rim either.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    7,382
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    The labor cost alone to unlace the old wheel, transfer in a new hub and relace it, even assuming the hub dimensions are close enough together to be a direct replacement, are probably a large fraction of the cost of a complete new wheel. Add in the cost of the generator hub itself and I agree that buying the wheel you want and either selling or keeping the old one intact as a spare is the smart way to go.
    +1
    A generator hub is going to require new spokes.
    So, you have a labor intensive job building a new wheel with a entry level rim.
    Add that this is the "busy time" for bike shops and I can see the reluctance of the mechanic in building a so so wheel.
    My LBS has a 2-3 week waiting list for repairs during this time of the year. I'd think if you approached the mechanic in January you'd get a similar response, but more willingness to do it if you were willing to PAY.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,556
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achoo View Post
    All true.

    But the logic the mechanic used pretty much translates to, "I suck at wheelbuilding."

    He can't build a wheel with a used rim? If you can't build a wheel with a used rim, you really can't build it with a new rim either.
    I don't think he's saying I can't, he's saying I won't.

    I build wheels on a referral basis (not my living) and turn down jobs that I can do, all the time. It might be because the client wants me to use parts I can't vouch for, or do something I don't think will hold up. The finished product reflects on me, and if it doesn't pan out for any reason, nobody will factor that I was given poor raw materials or direction.

    In the case of a used rim, what if the prior build overstressed the rim forming unseen latent stress cracks? Who's fault would it be if the rim showed spoke hole stress cracking 30 days out?
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,389
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commercially, it makes sense. Disassembly takes time, and if the rim - despite being new - has taken a ding, rebuild will be longer and might not be entirely satisfactory.
    Using new stuff is just faster and more predictable.

    But mechanically, it should be a non-issue.

  18. #18
    Senior Member SquidPuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post

    If they disassemble the wheel, it's a time consuming process to do so without risking distorting the rim.
    Would you expand on that, please?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,556
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
    Would you expand on that, please?
    If you disassemble a tight wheel by removing one spoke at a time, you can either warp the rim beyond it's elastic limit, or increase the stress on near spoke holes high enough to cause stress cracks.

    This is probably less of an issue on modern overbuilt rims, but it used to be possible to rip out an eyelet on light rims simply by cutting out nearby spokes.

    When planning on saving a rim, I reduce tension by degrees, starting with the already looser (applies to rear or disc wheels only) side, then when these approach zero tension, do the right by degrees until tension is low. Then spokes can be removed one at a time without issues.

    This is a time consuming process, and takes about 1/3rd of the time a new build takes, so would have to factor in the total labor cost.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  20. #20
    Senior Member SquidPuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    If you disassemble a tight wheel by removing one spoke at a time, you can either warp the rim beyond it's elastic limit, or increase the stress on near spoke holes high enough to cause stress cracks.

    This is probably less of an issue on modern overbuilt rims, but it used to be possible to rip out an eyelet on light rims simply by cutting out nearby spokes.

    When planning on saving a rim, I reduce tension by degrees, starting with the already looser (applies to rear or disc wheels only) side, then when these approach zero tension, do the right by degrees until tension is low. Then spokes can be removed one at a time without issues.

    This is a time consuming process, and takes about 1/3rd of the time a new build takes, so would have to factor in the total labor cost.
    Thank you!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,540
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I don't think he's saying I can't, he's saying I won't.

    I build wheels on a referral basis (not my living) and turn down jobs that I can do, all the time. It might be because the client wants me to use parts I can't vouch for, or do something I don't think will hold up. The finished product reflects on me, and if it doesn't pan out for any reason, nobody will factor that I was given poor raw materials or direction.

    In the case of a used rim, what if the prior build overstressed the rim forming unseen latent stress cracks? Who's fault would it be if the rim showed spoke hole stress cracking 30 days out?
    Yeah, but this is a pretty new rim on a bike the OP just bought.

    All the other reasons make sense - the labor to take the wheel apart is probably more than the rim is worth, and that's pretty much sufficient right there.

    But risky? Difficult to true? Those are bull, and IMO indicative of someone who doesn't know his craft very well.

    Look how easily you come up with legit reasons it doesn't make sense.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    1990 Romic Reynolds 531, 2009 Giant TCR Advanced custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build
    Posts
    8,948
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since new spokes would be needed, and OP may have no use for the old, they could just be cut out without significant labor. Admittedly cutting the first few spokes cans stress the rim until the overall assembly loosens up, but folks do this all the time without rim damage. I've personally done it many times without any harm to the rim that was detectable during the rebuild.

    On the other hand, I agree that keeping the spare wheel intact, perhaps as a trainer wheel or just a spare has a lot of merit.
    Robert

    My hero: "Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nuthin'..." (Joel Chandler Harris, Uncle Remus")

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    1990 Romic Reynolds 531, 2009 Giant TCR Advanced custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build
    Posts
    8,948
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought about dissambly stressing the rim, especcially the traumatic disassembly method of cutting the spokes: I have never heard anyone suggest that a wheel on which a spoke snapped while riding should not be repaired and continue to be used. Nothing could be more similar to cutting the first spke during disassembly than that.
    Robert

    My hero: "Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nuthin'..." (Joel Chandler Harris, Uncle Remus")

  24. #24
    Passista Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not worth it maybe, but not "risky" IMO.

  25. #25
    Senior Member jpatkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Gunnar, Surly
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I appreciate all the insights. I will just keep the old rim in my (tiny) garage. Having the spare makes sense! - JP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •