Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with Suntour Hidden Spring Brake

    I have been working on an old centurion road bike. The Suntour GPX hidden-spring brakes were not returning well so I took apart the front brake. Now for the life of me I cannot get it back together with the springs. Does anyone have any guidance?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,033
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mathpants View Post
    I have been working on an old centurion road bike. The Suntour GPX hidden-spring brakes were not returning well so I took apart the front brake. Now for the life of me I cannot get it back together with the springs. Does anyone have any guidance?
    Having done this job decades ago with a similar design Superbe Pro brake, my advice is going to be too late for you. Don't take these apart.

    Yes, I got it working again, but sorry, it's been too long to remember what the trick was.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Having done this job decades ago with a similar design Superbe Pro brake, my advice is going to be too late for you. Don't take these apart.

    Yes, I got it working again, but sorry, it's been too long to remember what the trick was.


    Thank you, I managed to get it after struggling more. I wont take one of them apart again for sure. I would suggest that anyone who reads this leave them together as well.

  4. #4
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,828
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mathpants View Post
    I would suggest that anyone who reads this leave them together as well.
    Unless they like a challenge

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    3,977
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had the same problem with a rubic's cube.

  6. #6
    Andrew R Stewart Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder
    Posts
    3,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My coworker took on a SRAM 11 speed RH shift pod problem yesterday. He opted to take it apart, as in levers off the shafts and more. He wished he had a couple of extra hands the size of a barbie doll's.

    Being older then he is I saw the likely outcome last night. This morning he was still trying to reassemble the shift pod. Sometimes a man has to know his limitations. Andy.

  7. #7
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,828
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    This morning he was still trying to reassemble the shift pod. Sometimes a man has to know his limitations. Andy.
    Stuff like that is mostly a matter of how much patience and persistence you can bring to bear... sometimes you have to wait for inspiration to strike, other times you just give it another crack and somehow pull it off without quite knowing why.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •