Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano - Assembly, compatibility and purchasing questions

    Hi everyone,

    I have a few questions about a bike Im building up. I bought a very lightly used (no scratches, even) Fuji Team Pro 2009 frame and fork. Ive gotten the right sized saddle and a seatpost and handlebar. The next thing is the drive train. Im in the market for an Ultegra 6800 drive train (other bike is Shimano 105, so sticking with the same company). I also picked up a set of used wheels for training with the plan to buy better wheels later. I have a few questions:

    Will Bontrager Race Lite wheels (pre-TLR wheels - 2009/2010-ish?) with the original hub work with a modern Ultegra setup? I assume the most it can handle is a 10 speed. I was thinking of going with a 10 speed cassette and then get an 11 speed later with new wheels, if I felt the need.

    Will a 10 speed cassette with no spacer behind it work with an 11 speed Ultegra setup or will there be side effects?

    Also, is it best to buy a groupset outright or piece it together? Which is going to be cheaper?

    Specs I am looking at buying are:
    Ultegra 6800 (non Di2)
    BB English
    Crank 50-34, 172.5
    Front Braze on
    Rear mid-cage derailleur
    Cassette 11-28 or 11-32

    Thanks for the help!

    Dave

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Mateo and a few others
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveleau View Post
    Will a 10 speed cassette with no spacer behind it work with an 11 speed Ultegra setup or will there be side effects?
    The spacing from cog to cog is slightly different between Shimano's 10-speed and 11-speed cassettes. You may be able to mismatch shifters and cassettes and get it working, but it may not shift smoothly throughout your entire gear range.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog75 View Post
    The spacing from cog to cog is slightly different between Shimano's 10-speed and 11-speed cassettes. You may be able to mismatch shifters and cassettes and get it working, but it may not shift smoothly throughout your entire gear range.
    Thanks. Is it better to get a 11-speed compatible wheel or replace the hub?

  4. #4
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,196
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get the whole group like they want you to do.

  5. #5
    Senior Member alcjphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveleau View Post
    Thanks. Is it better to get a 11-speed compatible wheel or replace the hub?
    Cassette bodies for 11 speed cassettes are longer than 8,9,10 speed cassette bodies so you have to buy an 11 speed wheel in order to be able to use an 11 speed cassette. Mavic wheels have used longer cassette bodies for many years, so pretty much any Mavic wheel made in the last few years is already 11 speed compatible. Replacing a hub is pretty much as expensive as buying a complete wheel and it is often difficult to rebuild a wheel using a used rim

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
    Cassette bodies for 11 speed cassettes are longer than 8,9,10 speed cassette bodies so you have to buy an 11 speed wheel in order to be able to use an 11 speed cassette. Mavic wheels have used longer cassette bodies for many years, so pretty much any Mavic wheel made in the last few years is already 11 speed compatible. Replacing a hub is pretty much as expensive as buying a complete wheel and it is often difficult to rebuild a wheel using a used rim
    Sweet. I have Aksiums on my Lynskey, but a 10 speed/105 setup. So I'll swap them and put the Mavics on with the Ultegra group.

  7. #7
    Senior Member alcjphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember that when you install the 11 speed cassette on the Aksiums that you remove both the thin spacer that Shimano provides with their 10 speed cassettes and the thicker spacer that Mavic supplies with their wheels. You need that extra space for the 11 speed cassette

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •