Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-14, 08:27 AM   #1
damian.garcia83
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: Ridley Fenix, GT Zaskar, Scott Speedster
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Switching from AL to CF fork on a 2007 Scott S60 Speedster

All,

I understand my frame set/bike isn't a top of the line model, I don't care, I want to upgrade the fork to CF. However, all the CF forks I have found will not necessarily look right with the frame. Basically the top of the fork legs would not match with the bottom of the head tube. Size wise, it's not a problem and functionally it would be fine, but my little of OCD would feel stupid and I couldn't go through with it.

I have been trying to find a Scott CF fork that would work, but haven't been able to. Any help in the BF universe?

Added a couple of pics so you see what I mean.





Damian

Last edited by damian.garcia83; 07-20-14 at 09:32 AM.
damian.garcia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 04:11 PM   #2
damian.garcia83
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: Ridley Fenix, GT Zaskar, Scott Speedster
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ttt
damian.garcia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 05:00 PM   #3
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 30,013
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
You have a nice fork matched cosmetically to the bike, which suits your OCD. What benefit do you hope to gain with the "upgrade"?

Even if you could find a CF fork with a crown of a similar type (not common in modern CF fork construction), it would be a B quality fork, since all modern A-level CF forks are of a unicrown construction with the steerer built in. Also, unless you paint it, you can't match the overall cosmetic.

Even though I'm not OCD about bikes, I'd leave well enough and keep the original fork until a crash eliminates the option.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 08:21 AM   #4
reddog3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: River City, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You didn't mention what your budget is. Perhaps you're looking at some of the lower end forks, which most likely won't match the headtube diameters with integrated headsets. There's quite a few out there which do match. Look at 3T- Control Tech- Enve- Ritchey- Whisky, etc. Expect to be in the $4-600 range. These are all top quality forks.

In your case there is probably a big benefit in moving to carbon. You are going to shave off over a pound, and I'd be surprised if the ride quality didn't (change for the better.) In every case I've seen there's been a significant improvement. You don't want to stray too far from the existing rake of your current fork. Up to 5mm less won't hurt. More? NO. Check what you've got.

Next? Light wheelset.
reddog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 06:27 PM   #5
damian.garcia83
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: Ridley Fenix, GT Zaskar, Scott Speedster
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Even though I'm not OCD about bikes, I'd leave well enough and keep the original fork until a crash eliminates the option.
I'm tired of getting my teeth shaken and I have ridden a carbon fork/aluminum framed bike back to back with mine and it was a very different experience on the same piece of road. While I may follow this, that experience is what has driven me to want to change to/upgrade to a CF fork.
damian.garcia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 06:31 PM   #6
damian.garcia83
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: Ridley Fenix, GT Zaskar, Scott Speedster
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog3 View Post
You didn't mention what your budget is. Perhaps you're looking at some of the lower end forks, which most likely won't match the headtube diameters with integrated headsets. There's quite a few out there which do match. Look at 3T- Control Tech- Enve- Ritchey- Whisky, etc. Expect to be in the $4-600 range. These are all top quality forks.

In your case there is probably a big benefit in moving to carbon. You are going to shave off over a pound, and I'd be surprised if the ride quality didn't (change for the better.) In every case I've seen there's been a significant improvement. You don't want to stray too far from the existing rake of your current fork. Up to 5mm less won't hurt. More? NO. Check what you've got.

Next? Light wheelset.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I guess next I will have to figure out actual dimensions that match well. It would be even better if I can find a matte black fork with yellow accents.

How could I determine rake on my current set up? I've tried googling that year speedster and am coming up empty. I wouldn't mind the steering getting a hair lazier, but not too much.

Not really too worried about budget since I have an emotional tie to this bike.

I have Mavic Cosmos on there right now that are serving me well. Granted I know they are not lightweights, but they have been tough as hell thus far.

Damian

Last edited by damian.garcia83; 07-23-14 at 01:40 PM.
damian.garcia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 06:31 PM   #7
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 30,013
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian.garcia83 View Post
I'm tired of getting my teeth shaken and I have ridden a carbon fork/aluminum framed bike back to back with mine and it was a very different experience on the same piece of road. While I may follow this, that experience is what has driven me to want to change to/upgrade to a CF fork.
Then you've made a decision. Find the best match, and live with the cosmetic issues, if any.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 02:34 PM   #8
AAZ
Senior Member
 
AAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascadia
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see that the 2007 Scott Speedster S30 CD looks black.
Maybe Scott still keeps some around?
AAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 01:22 AM   #9
reddog3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: River City, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian.garcia83 View Post
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I guess next I will have to figure out actual dimensions that match well. It would be even better if I can find a matte black fork with yellow accents.

How could I determine rake on my current set up? I've tried googling that year speedster and am coming up empty. I wouldn't mind the steering getting a hair lazier, but not too much.

Not really too worried about budget since I have an emotional tie to this bike.

I have Mavic Cosmos on there right now that are serving me well. Granted I know they are not lightweights, but they have been tough as hell thus far.

Damian
I looked at the Scott site and they still list a Speedster, and given their MO I doubt the specs have changed. They don't show the fork rake (offset) or the trail numbers. Given the frame size we know the head tube angle. If they listed the trail number, figuring the fork offset is easy.

To explain how to measure it in text (for me at least) can be confusing. Search for "measuring rake bicycles" and there will be some illustrations pointing you in the right direction. Don't let the reference to motorcycles (and you'll see some) throw you off. Their "rake" angle is a completely different thing. Hope this might help.

OTOH- most "spirited" road bike forks have a rake (offset) of 42-45mm. It's dependent on other angles as well, but that's generally the range, and most aftermarket for will be in this range. The thing to consider- if you want a "lazier" feel, go with a fork with less rake, which results in more trail. Without delving further into your current bike's specs, I think any of the 42-43mm rake forks would do fine. All these higher end forks are road forks, so there is really no need to concern yourself with axle to crown height.

FWIW- the ENVE forks (and that's good as it gets) have optional graphics colors. Yellow on black? No problem.
reddog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 PM.