Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2 and Trek 6500
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Velocity Rim Plug for Giant P-R2

    Anyone using these plugs for this wheel and know the size plug I need? --they are the stock Defy 1 set--

    I been having really bad luck with rim strips and Velox tape shifting on me.

    I check my tire pressure every ride, the Velox is still sticky and I am still getting pinch flats

  2. #2
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinch flats aren't caused by rim tape. What tire pressure are you running? Are you sure its a true pinch flat?
    commuter turned bike mechanic turned commuter (also a Velocity USA employee, but this is my personal account)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY state
    My Bikes
    See Signature...
    Posts
    1,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I will say velo plugs are great, I NEVER had an issue with Velox. I would guess something else is going on, velox should not shift if installed properly. Do you have the right width of velox?

    The plugs come in two sizes. 8mm and 8.5mm.... You have to measure the holes!
    2012 Diamondback Podium 2 - Ready for spring! :D
    1995 Specialized Rockhopper Rigid - SS converted!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,033
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plugs are fine (I don't know if those are the right or wrong ones for you), but the key to a successful repair is to find and correct the actual problem. You wouldn't treat a knee problem with an elbow pad (even a great elbow pad), and the same logic applies to any repair.

    As noted above, pinch flats aren't caused by rim strip issues. They're usually caused by overly impacts on sharp edges like pothole rims with narrow tires and/or low pressure. Another common cause of pinch flats is poor mounting technique.

    One benefit of plugs can be that they may reduce the diameter at the center of the rim, making tire mounting a bit easier.

    If tape moving is a problem for you, the likely causes are that you applied the tape to a rim which still had an oil or waxy film, and/or that you didn't tension the tape enough as you applied it. Millions of people are using rim tape with no issues of tape movement, so that's not an inherent issue with tape.

    As I said starting out, find the true cause of your tire problems before spending money on a fix that might not make a difference.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    7,033
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
    As much as I will say velo plugs are great, I NEVER had an issue with Velox. I would guess something else is going on, velox should not shift if installed properly. Do you have the right width of velox?

    The plugs come in two sizes. 8mm and 8.5mm.... You have to measure the holes!
    +1
    I had a similar issue with flats because I used too narrow of a tape.
    It worked until I had my 1st flat and I inadvertently moved the tape over a bit with the tire lever.
    It uncovered one of the spoke holes just enough that the tube would extrude into it after a day or 2 and get a leak.
    I pushed it back over, but it wouldn't stay and had a few more flats from the same cause.

    I went to the next wider size which runs up almost to the bead seat, but not quite. I did have to use extreme care when applying it to keep it centered though. It appears after airing up the tire, it kind of pushes it down just a bit and clears the bead seat a bit better.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2 and Trek 6500
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    Pinch flats aren't caused by rim tape. What tire pressure are you running? Are you sure its a true pinch flat?
    Oh I had the wrong idea of what a pinch flat was.......Newb What is happening is the tape shifting over and revealing a bit of the spoke hole and I always ride at the max psi for the tire. I like how it rolls when it is at the max

    Quote Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
    As much as I will say velo plugs are great, I NEVER had an issue with Velox. I would guess something else is going on, velox should not shift if installed properly. Do you have the right width of velox?

    The plugs come in two sizes. 8mm and 8.5mm.... You have to measure the holes!
    I'm using the the 17mm right now and it almost covers edge to edge , maybe 1mm left. I seen some 19mm ones but thought they were not for road wheels maybe give them a try if this keeps happening. I don't have the tool to measure hole properly and it is really easy to make an error with a ruler when were talking about .5mm. So I was hoping someone here is using the plug with that wheelset.


    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Plugs are fine (I don't know if those are the right or wrong ones for you), but the key to a successful repair is to find and correct the actual problem. You wouldn't treat a knee problem with an elbow pad (even a great elbow pad), and the same logic applies to any repair.

    As noted above, pinch flats aren't caused by rim strip issues. They're usually caused by overly impacts on sharp edges like pothole rims with narrow tires and/or low pressure. Another common cause of pinch flats is poor mounting technique.

    One benefit of plugs can be that they may reduce the diameter at the center of the rim, making tire mounting a bit easier.

    If tape moving is a problem for you, the likely causes are that you applied the tape to a rim which still had an oil or waxy film, and/or that you didn't tension the tape enough as you applied it. Millions of people are using rim tape with no issues of tape movement, so that's not an inherent issue with tape.

    As I said starting out, find the true cause of your tire problems before spending money on a fix that might not make a difference.
    Just wiped down with isopropyl alcohol (bit of grim) and reinstalled. Hope that will resolve the shifting. Thanks. I searched here and some are saying that tape shifting happens to them after a long wet ride or when their tires gets soaked. Have anyone of you experienced that?.. cause it rains a lot here in Van

  7. #7
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the VeloCity rim plugs are for VeloCitys rims and of course the company can tell you what size plugs you need ..
    measure the size of the holes the plugs go into will give you a clue..

    there are fused loop nylon rim tapes also .. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=140
    Last edited by fietsbob; 07-30-14 at 09:11 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2 and Trek 6500
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    the VeloCity rim plugs are for VeloCitys rims and of course the company can tell you what size plugs you need ..
    measure the size of the holes the plugs go into will give you a clue..

    there are fused loop nylon rim tapes also .. Universal Cycles -- Rims > Rim Tape
    I had something like that on when I first pickup the bike and switched to velox cause it got such good praise. The fused strips just snaps on and do not have a sticky side do they?

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine dont .. Mavic EX 721 rims even have a channel the rim strip loop snaps into..

  10. #10
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Drop View Post




    Just wiped down with isopropyl alcohol (bit of grim) and reinstalled. Hope that will resolve the shifting. Thanks. I searched here and some are saying that tape shifting happens to them after a long wet ride or when their tires gets soaked. Have anyone of you experienced that?.. cause it rains a lot here in Van
    If you continue to have issues, I would recommend switching to plugs or plastic tape like our Velotape or Stan's. Velox does definitely absorb water, and will shift when it does. As far as plug fitment goes on other manufacturer's rims, it's somewhat hit or miss as we size them for our rims, but they do work with some others as well.
    commuter turned bike mechanic turned commuter (also a Velocity USA employee, but this is my personal account)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2 and Trek 6500
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    If you continue to have issues, I would recommend switching to plugs or plastic tape like our Velotape or Stan's. Velox does definitely absorb water, and will shift when it does. As far as plug fitment goes on other manufacturer's rims, it's somewhat hit or miss as we size them for our rims, but they do work with some others as well.
    Cool thanks for the info. Was really hoping to figure out the sizing for my wheels. I just keep hearing such good things about the plugs and it seems they last forever.

  12. #12
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Drop View Post
    Cool thanks for the info. Was really hoping to figure out the sizing for my wheels. I just keep hearing such good things about the plugs and it seems they last forever.
    They do! I forget the exact figure, but they have something like a 400psi blowout strength, so they handle high pressure really well. I've got one set myself that I've probably used in a dozen different wheels.
    commuter turned bike mechanic turned commuter (also a Velocity USA employee, but this is my personal account)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •