Hello all - I'm pretty new to the forums as well as to bike repair/upgrade, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!
I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ MTB as well as a Fuji Palisade hybrid (I think?). On both bikes, there are some issues with shifting.
On the Fuji (21 spd - all Shimano GS200 - it's OLD):
- The shifter for the FD doesn't click like the shifter for the RD - should it?
- The RD skips the 2nd largest cog when shifting up the cassette (to larger cogs) and the 2nd smallest cog when shifting down the cassette (to smaller cogs)
- I have to click twice to get off the largest cog and similarly to get off the lowest cog
- Every once in a while, I have to click twice to shift in the mdidle gear ranges as well
- It also seems that the RD indexing is off - I've not read up on how to adjust the indexing ... I assume there's some sort of cog inside the shifter mechanism ...
On the MTB (27 spd - Shimano XTR FD/RD and Deore Mega shifters):
- To get any shifting at all of the RD, if I click once, nothing happens, but if I click twice, it shifts, but sometimes skips cogs. When it's up on the bike stand, it seems to shift correctly, but when I'm actually riding it, shifting is not reliable at all. It all seems to be the case regardless of which chainring I'm on.
- Also, once I shift, if I try to shift again, the lever just goes "to the floor" so to speak the first time I press it, then seems to reset and grab the second time.
Are these symptoms of cable stretch? Or something else?
Thanks for your advice!