Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-14, 07:53 PM   #1
dwmckee
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring Bike, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring Bike, Merckx Strasbourg71
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
105 and Dore XT Compatibility

Does anyone know if the new Shimano Deore XT rear derailed and cassette will be compatible with the new 105 STI shifters (ST-5703)? Both are 10 speed but not sure if the spacing is the same.
dwmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 08:32 PM   #2
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
All of Shimano's 10 speed mountain bike rear derailleurs are for Dyna-Sys drivetrains only. The cable actuation ratio of the derailleur won't work with your 10-speed road shifters. If you use a "nine speed" (or earlier) Shimano mountain rear derailleur, it will work fine with the road shifters, the cable actuation ratio is the same. As for the 10-speed XT cassette, the spacing between the cogs is the same as a 10 speed road cassette, so no problem there.

Edit: I just checked, and the spec says the spacing between cogs on Dyna Sys cassettes is "Shimano DynaSys". I've not used a 10 speed Dyna Sys cassette with a 10 speed road shifter, so I don't know first hand if the spacing is different or not, had made an assumption that may not be correct.

Last edited by well biked; 08-19-14 at 08:37 PM.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 09:46 PM   #3
Preco
Member
 
Preco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coarsegold Ca
Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have installed this on my bike works fine 105 STI shifters 10 speed same RD as you want to install. I did it so I could have 11-34 cassette.

Last edited by Preco; 08-19-14 at 09:51 PM.
Preco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 08:36 AM   #4
alex jb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Bikes: Orbea Ora, Klein Palomino, Planet X Kaffenback, Custom Bamboo build, 1964 Schwinn deluxe.
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preco View Post
I have installed this on my bike works fine 105 STI shifters 10 speed same RD as you want to install. I did it so I could have 11-34 cassette.
I also just used the 5700 shifters with an XT rear mech, but the mech is an older XT 'mega 9' unit, works perfect with a 11-34 cassette.
I have an ultegra 6600GS rear mech, but it is not capable of going larger than a 30T highest cog, I tried.

what part number XT mech did you use?
is it a shadow+ mech?

in another thread I was also told the new XT stuff has changed ratio of cable mm/movement, if someone knows this exact info of before and after I'd love to know as I REALY want a shadow+ neck for the clutch chain tension on the canal tow paths.
alex jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 05:43 PM   #5
Slash5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 1,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Shimano 10 2.3 mm approx. 1.7:1 ratio
Shimano 10 (Dynasys) 3.4 mm approx. 1:1 ratio
Slash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 07:30 PM   #6
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Shimano home site shows the current Deore XT to be Dyna-sys. That seems to make it incompatible with STI road shifters. The current Deore RD shows to be Shadow, whatever that is. In another thread someone said the 10-speed Deore was compatible with road shifters but not the XT, I really have no idea.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:09 PM   #7
Preco
Member
 
Preco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coarsegold Ca
Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to apologize I misspoke.I'am using the Deore line for RD. When I went to LBS they said the new line of XT (shadow) would not work. Didn't want to wait and look for and older version of the XT. I do have a friend that is running the XT RD older version on his Roubaix so he can run 11-30 cassette. He says it works just fine. Sorry again for the confusion.
Preco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:21 PM   #8
dwmckee
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring Bike, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring Bike, Merckx Strasbourg71
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks everyone. Now can you answer why Shimano hates us all?
dwmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:37 PM   #9
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
Thanks everyone. Now can you answer why Shimano hates us all?
The introduction of Dyna Sys, with its own cable pull ratio, etc, does throw a wrench into the traditional capability with Shimano drivetrain parts to mix and match creatively, particularly on touring bikes, etc, where this sort of thing is most common. However, as someone who has ridden and raced a Dyna Sys drivetrain extensively, I can tell you that for its intended purpose (mountain biking), it's the best IMO. And this is coming from someone who also owns two Shimano-equipped touring bikes, both creatively equipped with combos of "road" and "mountain" parts.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 06:46 AM   #10
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,064
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
The introduction of Dyna Sys, with its own cable pull ratio, etc, does throw a wrench into the traditional capability with Shimano drivetrain parts to mix and match creatively, particularly on touring bikes, etc, where this sort of thing is most common. However, as someone who has ridden and raced a Dyna Sys drivetrain extensively, I can tell you that for its intended purpose (mountain biking), it's the best IMO. And this is coming from someone who also owns two Shimano-equipped touring bikes, both creatively equipped with combos of "road" and "mountain" parts.
The problem is that creatively equipping bikes with both road and mountain parts is, essentially, a thing of the past. We are now stuck with the range of gearing that Shimano thinks is best rather than what we think is best for our needs. Long cage road derailers can't handle a 32 tooth low on a cassette and mountain bike derailers won't work with road shifters. The road cranks are also limited to 24 tooth inner rings or to compact doubles so if you want to make a touring bike you are stuck with really stupid gearing. Look at the Salsa Vaya, for example. It has road bike gearing for a bike that is designed for loaded off-road use. A 52/42/30 crank with an 11-30 (or 11-28) might work for a 14 lb super bike but for loaded dirt roads? Dumb as a bag of hammers.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 06:55 AM   #11
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,918
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Long cage road derailers can't handle a 32 tooth low on a cassette......
Shimano says the Ultegra RD-6800GS will handle a 32T largest cog.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 07:00 AM   #12
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Posts: 10,404
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
The problem is that creatively equipping bikes with both road and mountain parts is, essentially, a thing of the past. We are now stuck with the range of gearing that Shimano thinks is best rather than what we think is best for our needs. Long cage road derailers can't handle a 32 tooth low on a cassette and mountain bike derailers won't work with road shifters. The road cranks are also limited to 24 tooth inner rings or to compact doubles so if you want to make a touring bike you are stuck with really stupid gearing. Look at the Salsa Vaya, for example. It has road bike gearing for a bike that is designed for loaded off-road use. A 52/42/30 crank with an 11-30 (or 11-28) might work for a 14 lb super bike but for loaded dirt roads? Dumb as a bag of hammers.
I agree. This is where friction shifters can make a lot of sense since you can mix and match to your heart's content, .

The good quality friction shifters currently available are spec'd for 9 speed but that is fine, IMHO, for touring. Here is one: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-shifters.html

Last edited by bikemig; 08-21-14 at 07:10 AM.
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 09:19 AM   #13
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,064
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Shimano says the Ultegra RD-6800GS will handle a 32T largest cog.
It's hard to keep up. 28 teeth used to be the max and still is on the 105 and (maybe) Tiagra. Sora seems to be the same as the Ultegra. That's good to know and maybe life for touring cyclists isn't a bad as it seems. I'm fairly certain that's just an oversight on Shimano's part

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I agree. This is where friction shifters can make a lot of sense since you can mix and match to your heart's content, .

The good quality friction shifters currently available are spec'd for 9 speed but that is fine, IMHO, for touring. Here is one: Dia-Compe ENE Bar-End Shifters
Different problem. The pull ratio for the Dynasys is for the rear derailer. Friction may not solve that problem and, frankly, friction front I could live with. Friction rear is just a pain.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 11:21 AM   #14
gearhead82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Bikes: 2014 Salsa Vaya 2, 2013 Trek Stache 8
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
It's hard to keep up. 28 teeth used to be the max and still is on the 105 and (maybe) Tiagra. Sora seems to be the same as the Ultegra. That's good to know and maybe life for touring cyclists isn't a bad as it seems. I'm fairly certain that's just an oversight on Shimano's part

I know Shimano says 28T for 105, but just to add to the confusion, the 105 (5700) group on my Vaya came spec'd with an 11-30 cassette. Judging by the clearance, it should be good for a 32T if desired.
gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 08:45 PM   #15
dwmckee
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring Bike, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring Bike, Merckx Strasbourg71
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sigh. Shimano hates us... I am glad I still have some 9 speed bikes still running well (and with great gears I can use here in Pittsburgh).
dwmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.