Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Wheel rebuild

  1. #1
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wheel rebuild

    How practical would it be for me to buy new spokes and nipples, then relace my wheel one spoke at a time? It sounds time consuming, but I need the experence.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  2. #2
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    replace your wheel one spoke at a time? Do you mean rebuilt it with entirely new spokes all at once? Or just as each one breaks. If your buying new spokes and nipples just build it all at once and save yourself the hassle of constantly retruing
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  3. #3
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you afraid of? Relace it all at once. There's plenty of information on the net to tell you how to create the spoke pattern. If you get hopelessly frustrated with truing, you can always take the wheel to your LBS and let them finish it up for you.

    That's the best experience you can get.

  4. #4
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in order to not screw up the pattern you can loosen all the spokes and all but instead of taking htem alll out. Remove just one, and replace it, how it was before you removed the old spoke. ANd keep doing that for all however many spokes you've got.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  5. #5
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    Well in order to not screw up the pattern you can loosen all the spokes and all but instead of taking htem alll out. Remove just one, and replace it, how it was before you removed the old spoke. ANd keep doing that for all however many spokes you've got.
    That's my plan. I did NOT misspell "replace". The word is "relace" as intended. How practical is this method?
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,007
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan
    How practical would it be for me to buy new spokes and nipples, then relace my wheel one spoke at a time? It sounds time consuming, but I need the experence.
    Well, it would be possible but it's not going to be very practical at all. You are going to have to bend every single spoke, especially the ones that have the heads on the outside of the hub flanges, to get it into it's proper orientation. Not having tried it I don't know for sure, but I suspect that you are going to have a much more difficult time trueing and bringing the spokes up to even tension due because each one will have it's own unique residual curl. I don't see how this experience is going to be very beneficial. I think that it's a bad idea.

    I taught a class for wheelbuilders at an LBS where I used to work. My recommendation is to start with medium priced, all brand new components for your first attempt. That way you know that all of the spokes are the same, the hub doesn't have any funky wear patterns, and you have a reasonably rigid and true, eyeletted rim to start with. All of the guys in my class were able to get good results on their first attempt doing it that way. to be honest, I don't think that most of them needed very much input from me.

  7. #7
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Well, it would be possible but it's not going to be very practical at all. You are going to have to bend every single spoke, especially the ones that have the heads on the outside of the hub flanges, to get it into it's proper orientation. Not having tried it I don't know for sure, but I suspect that you are going to have a much more difficult time trueing and bringing the spokes up to even tension due because each one will have it's own unique residual curl. I don't see how this experience is going to be very beneficial. I think that it's a bad idea.

    I taught a class for wheelbuilders at an LBS where I used to work. My recommendation is to start with medium priced, all brand new components for your first attempt. That way you know that all of the spokes are the same, the hub doesn't have any funky wear patterns, and you have a reasonably rigid and true, eyeletted rim to start with. All of the guys in my class were able to get good results on their first attempt doing it that way. to be honest, I don't think that most of them needed very much input from me.
    I agree entirely. Replacing one by one means you wont mislace (less chance at least) but leads to a whole new set of problems its just not worth it. There are guides out there that teach you to lace, best to follow them and pay close attention as its easy to make a mistake for your first time
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,208
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it that way, once. It's easier and quicker to start from scratch with new components. Lacing is easy if you have step by step instructions, I like Jobst Brandt's best but you could use Sheldon Brown's or Zinn's and get equally good results. Radial truing, tensioning, rim centering, and lateral truing require more skill and patience.

    Al

  9. #9
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just de-spoke the wheel first and have another wheel sitting next to you for reference while you relace the wheel.
    It is important to get the cross/lace pattern correct (a common newbie mistake).

    Enjoy

  10. #10
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powers2b
    Just de-spoke the wheel first and have another wheel sitting next to you for reference while you relace the wheel.
    It is important to get the cross/lace pattern correct (a common newbie mistake).

    Enjoy
    Sounds like a good plan, as my front wheel isn't as bad off as my rear. My biggest fear is getting the lacing pattern wrong and making a bigger mess. I could fork over $60 to my LBS and get the wheelsmith there to do the job. I would have to take the wheel to the LBS to get the dishing correct.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  11. #11
    The Red Lantern Rev.Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    5,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lace it from scratch. The only time I do the one spoke at a time deal is when someone wants a rim replaced but no t new spokes. It is a pain. It takes longer than starting with bare parts.

    buy a cheap stand, it will make the job a lot easier. You can dish it in the stand by flipping the wheel 180 and checking against the same guide everytime.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

    I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.

  12. #12
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped the wheel off at my LBS, and he's charging me for parts only, but I had to assemble a Trek Pilot and an Electra Townie, then fix three flats.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •