A small bike / correct bike, for an 8 year old, ideal price range $250 - $600.
He is going to a local BMX park that was just built, with tons of jumps. All dirt park.
He is really trying to jump, and having difficulty. He is a wiry, 60-pound kid
He is having 2 primary problems, #1 getting enough speed at the start of the top of the hill, #2 strength, and probably upper body on a bike that is too small and too heavy
He is riding a small, rear braked bike that I will trade in or sell separately.
So here are my thoughts, which is a consolidation of this forum. I would really love comments and feedback.
My assumptions/no feedback unless I am clearly not thinking correctly
A. Rear brake is all I want, front brakes would need to be removed if bike comes with it
B. Need to buy, if the bike does not come with, a set of pads for the top tube and stem at least, and the bars if they have a cross bar.
C. I donít care if it is used or new, as long as used doesnít mean stressed frame etc. if it is used
1. Weight is a HEAVY consideration. I could use some thoughts here. Is 16 pounds light, or can I/should I get lighter?
2. Tires should be, ideally, 1 1/8" or 1 3/8", not 1.75" - 2.25" tires because they will only slow the kiddo down. Any disagreement here? Is there weight considerations here as well?
3. Three piece cranks are a bonus, but if the cranks are short, say 115 mm - 125 mm they should be fine. Three piece will allow you to change to shorter crank arms if needed, and they usually are because the poor kids are real choopy on cranks that are too long. This sounds neat, what does it mean? And any suggestions are welcome here.
4. Sizing indications that I can apply. If there is sizing, arms, where body is, handlebars etc, and I need to normalize an adult sizing version, please point me in that direction
5. A San Fran Bay area store that specializes in Kids BMX, east bay even better, and do these shops sell used along with new?