Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Clarification on crank/chainwheel interface?

    i might be using a few incorrect terms here...but you'll know what i am refering to. the small bolt that attaches the chain wheel to the crank arm is what i am wondering about. i haven't dealt with this set-up since probably the 80's...at that time i was too young to have worked on things so basically i never dealt with them.

    question is this:

    1) seems kind of like a delicate design...are there ever problems? does the bolt ever shear off?

    2) does backward pedal/crank pressure cause fore and aft movement in the chain wheel slot?? it just doesn't look secure to me...or maybe only secure in the forward direction because the hole looks significantly larger than the bolt.

    thanks

  2. #2
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) If you're talking about the sprocket bolt, well, I've never broken one.
    2) How would it move? The slot for it is only as wide as the bolt is.

  3. #3
    "Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles." hypersnazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    My Bikes
    '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hole is usually slotted to compensate for slightly different placement of the bolt on the crank arm. And you shouldn't worry yourself too much...it's a beefy steel bolt sunk into a beefy steel crank arm. I've not had problems with the design so far, and solid sprockets are MUCH stronger than spiders/rings.

  4. #4
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) How would it move? The slot for it is only as wide as the bolt is.
    okay...like i said i never held these parts in my hand...only MTB stuff. this is new to me.

    as i was looking at pics, it looked as though the width of the slot was much great than the bolt...that is what made me think about play developing.

    ...but thanks for clarifying guys!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't run it tight enough play can appear as the threads dig into the sides of the sprocket hole. IMO it's a ****ty way to attach a sprocket and it's a leftover from the days of 1pc cranks. A bullseye style method of attaching them would be much better.

    Oh yeah, don't run a spacer between the crank arm and the sprocket at the sprocket bolt or at the axle, not only does it increase the leverage on the bolt but it reduces the amount of working thread by quite a bit.

  6. #6
    "Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles." hypersnazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    My Bikes
    '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dooley
    If you don't run it tight enough play can appear as the threads dig into the sides of the sprocket hole. IMO it's a ****ty way to attach a sprocket and it's a leftover from the days of 1pc cranks. A bullseye style method of attaching them would be much better.

    Oh yeah, don't run a spacer between the crank arm and the sprocket at the sprocket bolt or at the axle, not only does it increase the leverage on the bolt but it reduces the amount of working thread by quite a bit.
    BMXers don't break sprockets with torque forces, they break sprockets by smashing them on curbs. The single bolt is MUCH stronger under those types of stresses. More bolts = more stress risers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersnazz
    BMXers don't break sprockets with torque forces, they break sprockets by smashing them on curbs. The single bolt is MUCH stronger under those types of stresses. More bolts = more stress risers.
    Curbs? O rly

    My reasoning is the more support a sprocket has, the stronger it is. The fact there are more sprocket holes is irrelevant, because only one of them is going to be under real stess from a sprocket trick at any one time. Now bearing in mind that with the current set up the sprocket bolt doesn't do a whole lot to support the sprocket when you're doing a sprocket trick, maybe you'd like to explain to me how it's stronger?

  8. #8
    "Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles." hypersnazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    My Bikes
    '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)
    Posts
    1,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dooley
    Curbs? O rly

    My reasoning is the more support a sprocket has, the stronger it is. The fact there are more sprocket holes is irrelevant, because only one of them is going to be under real stess from a sprocket trick at any one time. Now bearing in mind that with the current set up the sprocket bolt doesn't do a whole lot to support the sprocket when you're doing a sprocket trick, maybe you'd like to explain to me how it's stronger?
    Because when you're doing sprocket tricks, the impact is taken by a nice strong spindle, not a weak-ass bolt.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not thos sorts of impacts that **** dprockets up, it's lateral ones. Besides, in my theoretical SupaDupa™ cranks there would still be something supporting axle hole, the additional sprocket bolts would be to counteract the lateral forces.
    Imagine a cross between this http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/...ombolttech.jpg
    and this
    http://www.bikepro.com/products/cran...eye_cranks.jpg

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Rosmeount Minnesota
    My Bikes
    I own 1 custom bike, and i'm to lazy to list parts
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy, I just got back from riding today early because my sprocket bolt(on my crank arm) was cracked almost all the way off. They're Redline Monster cranks, and I am surprised that they have lasted this long(two years), and at one point they bent so much that I had to heat up one of the arms with a blow torch and bent it back with a sludge hammer. I obvously didn't have enough money to get new cranks at the time. Luckily now my Odyssey 41 thermal cranks are on their way. Lucky meeeeee! : )
    Last edited by bmichaelx; 03-02-06 at 05:56 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •