Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Sanko?

  1. #1
    Yeah. I Race. minichamp31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    My Bikes
    Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR
    Posts
    2,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sanko?

    I was told by a friend that Sanko chromoly dents easier than regular 4130 chromo. I was thinking about starting to save up for a new frame after I pick up the GT Bump this weekend. So, which is better, Sanko or American chromoly.

  2. #2
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American fo sure. I refuse to get sanko anything.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  3. #3
    Live To Ride Ride To Live FuzzyRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Fit flow
    Posts
    2,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure they are both just as good lol.
    BMX For Life

  4. #4
    Yeah. I Race. minichamp31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    My Bikes
    Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR
    Posts
    2,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I was just wondering. I love the Sputnic frames and but was kind of leery about the Sanko.

    And I didn't feel like starting a new thread for something stupid, but who made the flourescent orange parts? It was Odyssey right? I can't find them anywhere.
    Last edited by minichamp31; 04-05-09 at 09:29 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Punx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    2008 Kink Transition with upgrades, 2007 Haro Thread 1 with upgrades.
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they were limited edition.
    Oddysey always has like random colors and then there gone 2 months later.

  6. #6
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyRyder View Post
    Im pretty sure they are both just as good lol.
    But we all know when it comes down to things like bikes, Americans make better quality ones.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanko is the Japanese 4130 Chromoly right?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a pretty funny discussion... you do know that 4130 is simply a designation number for steel right? All 4130 means is that the steel contains other elements in a defined percentage range.
    As far as American vs. anything else goes, that is a goofy way of deciding on a bike frame. Name some tubing manufacturers that are well known in the cycling world, Reynolds (England), Columbus (Italy), Tange (Japan), Sanko (Japan), True Temper (US)....they all make all sorts of tubing that meets the criteria to be called 4130.
    Sanko tubes are considered desirable as they are "drawn" tubes, meaning the tube was formed through a forging process rather than formed by rolling a sheet and welding it along the seam. Does that mean it dents easier, I doubt it. What would make a frame dent easier is how thin the tube wall is at the spot that gets hit. A butted tube is made lighter by having thinner walls in the middle and thicker at the ends where it is welded. So if you want a heavy frame that resists denting don't get butted tubes.
    What is going to make more difference is the frame design and the welding, a poorly designed frame with bad welds and the best tubing available is still a piece of junk.

  9. #9
    Live To Ride Ride To Live FuzzyRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Fit flow
    Posts
    2,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey View Post
    Sanko is the Japanese 4130 Chromoly right?
    yes
    BMX For Life

  10. #10
    Live To Ride Ride To Live FuzzyRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Fit flow
    Posts
    2,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
    But we all know when it comes down to things like bikes, Americans make better quality ones.
    Eh not even. Every company putting out top notch bikes stuff, american or not, is puting out good quality gear.
    BMX For Life

  11. #11
    Live To Ride Ride To Live FuzzyRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Fit flow
    Posts
    2,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andymac View Post
    This is a pretty funny discussion... you do know that 4130 is simply a designation number for steel right? All 4130 means is that the steel contains other elements in a defined percentage range.
    As far as American vs. anything else goes, that is a goofy way of deciding on a bike frame. Name some tubing manufacturers that are well known in the cycling world, Reynolds (England), Columbus (Italy), Tange (Japan), Sanko (Japan), True Temper (US)....they all make all sorts of tubing that meets the criteria to be called 4130.
    Sanko tubes are considered desirable as they are "drawn" tubes, meaning the tube was formed through a forging process rather than formed by rolling a sheet and welding it along the seam. Does that mean it dents easier, I doubt it. What would make a frame dent easier is how thin the tube wall is at the spot that gets hit. A butted tube is made lighter by having thinner walls in the middle and thicker at the ends where it is welded. So if you want a heavy frame that resists denting don't get butted tubes.
    What is going to make more difference is the frame design and the welding, a poorly designed frame with bad welds and the best tubing available is still a piece of junk.
    Wicked explanation. If anything sanko is better because its seamless.
    BMX For Life

  12. #12
    Yeah. I Race. minichamp31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    My Bikes
    Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR
    Posts
    2,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation andymac. Alright, now I'm not at all worried about it. I want to start to save up for a Sputnic frame.

  13. #13
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanko things are usually cheaper than US. I rather have some guy put quality time than some sweatshop working person trying to make numbers.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

  14. #14
    Live To Ride Ride To Live FuzzyRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Fit flow
    Posts
    2,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol are you serious? Its cheaper because the labor is cheaper over there and they can get good quality steel for a better deal. Doesn't mean they do a bad job manufacturing it. it's probably 80% machine done. Its just as good.
    BMX For Life

  15. #15
    Yeah. I Race. minichamp31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    My Bikes
    Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR
    Posts
    2,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I just found the Premium Deathtrap frame and it is so nice looking. Not that bad of a price either.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That frame (Deathtrap) makes no mention of being butted at all and it is a bit heavier than much of the competition so there is a good chance that the tubing has the same wall thickness throughout, which should lead to a more dent resistant frame.

    ....even if it turns out it is made in a sweatshop in Greenland...

  17. #17
    Yeah. I Race. minichamp31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    My Bikes
    Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR
    Posts
    2,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the look of that frame. And the fact that it's Garret Reynolds' signature frame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •