Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-10, 12:31 PM   #1
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting a bike even though Im old

Hey guys. I used to be in the sport years ago and have been thinking about getting a BMX bike for three reasons:
1. I want a bike that is smaller than my mountain bike to exercise my dog with. If my dog suddenly jerks me off my present bike I'll probably will not be able to have more kids. (Bad joke)
2. I showed my 5 year old daughter the other day girl BMX races on YouTube and her face lit up. Would love to get her into the sport because there is a local track.
3. I just for whatever reason love to get one.
I just feel a little silly being 37 years old looking for a BMX bike. Went to a shop the other day and the guy thought I was buying for my son. Any old timers on this forum?
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 12:41 PM   #2
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
37? that is old!
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 03:24 PM   #3
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. Old for BMX. lol
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 04:31 PM   #4
n0+4c|u3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about a 24" BMX cruzer, and I'm 47, so you're not that old yet.
Go for it.
n0+4c|u3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:15 PM   #5
MY26INCHCRUISER
I abubacad your sister
 
MY26INCHCRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Sunday Model-c full custom,Sunday second wave full custom ,Supercross RCR Full custom bmx race cruiser
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shawn
BMX is fun at any age
Do not feel like you are to old to have fun
Check out the Sunday Model-c completes at Dans,they are around 550.00 and is a great 24 inch
I have 2 of them and they are great
MY26INCHCRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:38 PM   #6
mykesbykes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bc
Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hiyaz, Im 36 myself, and while I own numerous other bikes, I use my bmxs the most, its easier to navigate city streets, easier to maintain, lighter carrying up stairs, I can buy a Ice Cap with my daughter and sit back on our bmxs and chill out, and we have a small dirt track one block over. Do you have a favorite from when you were young? Oh ya, one thing you want to think about is size, Id think you should look for something with a 20-21 inch top tube. I run 175 cranks and if Im not careful they catch, not fun on pavement, and check for stem reach, most run their seats low like the pic above, but I still run a 16 inch seat post. If your looking for something new Id say check out Redline, they make some wicked race bikes, Im biased tho, cuz I love flights. They are one of the only old school companies that havent been bought by Pacific Cycle. maybe pick something up from CL, pinkbikes, or ebay.

for your daughter, and for you.

whatever you do, beware of these things..

1. plastic anything. breaks easy
2. high tensil steel anything. heavy
3. painted bar clamp areas on bars/stem. bars slip=face plant.
4. 1 piece cranks. 3pc are cheap
5. weeeaak brakes. check bike reviews
6. expensive over-rated bikes. see above

well i hoped I helped even a little, if you want let me know where your at, and I can try to find you something local and priced right.

http://issuu.com/redlinebicycles/doc...edline-bmx-cat

Last edited by mykesbykes; 03-29-10 at 08:58 PM.
mykesbykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:39 PM   #7
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
37? that is old!
OY! where is my walker and dentures LOL

look at a 26" wheeled cruiser. they are a bit more expensive but it may be more comfortable. you might even consider rebuilding a small MTB to a BMX bike
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:58 PM   #8
toytech 
Senior Member
 
toytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: san leandro
Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 45 and have a 26" bmx cruiser, some of the SE reproductions are nice ie Floval flyers, OM flyers etc.
__________________
"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day."--Harry S. Truman
toytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:00 PM   #9
MY26INCHCRUISER
I abubacad your sister
 
MY26INCHCRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Sunday Model-c full custom,Sunday second wave full custom ,Supercross RCR Full custom bmx race cruiser
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykesbykes View Post
Hiyaz, Im 36 myself, and while I own numerous other bikes, I use my bmxs the most, its easier to navigate city streets, easier to maintain, lighter carrying up stairs, I can buy a Ice Cap with my daughter and sit back on our bmxs and chill out, and we have a small dirt track one block over. Do you have a favorite from when you were young? Oh ya, one thing you want to think about is size, Id think you should look for something with a 20-21 inch top tube. I run 175 cranks and if Im not careful they catch, not fun on pavement, and check for stem reach, most run their seats low like the pic above, but I still run a 16 inch seat post. If your looking for something new Id say check out Redline, they make some wicked race bikes, Im biased tho, cuz I love flights. They are one of the only old school companies that havent been bought by Pacific Cycle. The sunday above is probably a descent bike, although Id question spending that much loot on your first bike, maybe pick something up from CL, pinkbikes, or ebay.

whatever you do, beware of these things..

1. plastic anything. breaks easy
2. high tensil steel anything. heavy
3. painted bar clamp areas on bars/stem. bars slip=face plant.
4. 1 piece cranks. 3pc are cheap
5. weeeaak brakes. check bike reviews
6. expensive over-rated bikes. see above

well i hoped I helped even a little, if you want let me know where your at, and I can try to find you something local and priced right.

http://issuu.com/redlinebicycles/doc...edline-bmx-cat
Ok alittle over the line there
I just tried to help the guy
Just Because you have a different view on things,you don't have to slam mine
I like my Sundays they are far from over rated and suit my needs for my type of riding
Yes they are expensive because I like them custom and I can afford it.
MY26INCHCRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:01 PM   #10
mykesbykes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bc
Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh ya I forgot about those, isnt there a good online source for SEs? like i remember a PK ripper somewhere...
mykesbykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:05 PM   #11
mykesbykes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bc
Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I edited it out, once I saw what bikes were going for now, sorry for any inconvience...

PS: I didnt mean your suggestion was over-rated, when I said see above I meant check bike reviews..

here is that site I was talking about...

http://www.coloredtuffs.com/shop/ind...iewDoc&docId=8

my pick for 550ish range..


Last edited by mykesbykes; 03-29-10 at 09:09 PM.
mykesbykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:13 PM   #12
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. I was almost afraid to post. I belong to other forums (car related) that like to slam nubies. I'll let you know what I get.
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:17 PM   #13
mykesbykes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bc
Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i guess we should have asked a bunch of questions like...

1. how tall are you.
2. what are you using it for.
3. what surfaces are you using it on.
4. how much do you want to spend.
5. where are you located.
6. color preferences.

its no problem, most of us lurkers are just waiting for someone to help.
mykesbykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:18 PM   #14
MY26INCHCRUISER
I abubacad your sister
 
MY26INCHCRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Sunday Model-c full custom,Sunday second wave full custom ,Supercross RCR Full custom bmx race cruiser
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend has one of those in the same color,nice looking bike
This is the model-c cruiser I was talking about for 550.00
They have it in all black too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model-c-vanilla.jpg (74.9 KB, 6 views)
MY26INCHCRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:30 PM   #15
agoodale
Senior Member
 
agoodale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Murrieta, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn28 View Post
Hey guys. I used to be in the sport years ago and have been thinking about getting a BMX bike for three reasons:
1. I want a bike that is smaller than my mountain bike to exercise my dog with. If my dog suddenly jerks me off my present bike I'll probably will not be able to have more kids. (Bad joke)
2. I showed my 5 year old daughter the other day girl BMX races on YouTube and her face lit up. Would love to get her into the sport because there is a local track.
3. I just for whatever reason love to get one.
I just feel a little silly being 37 years old looking for a BMX bike. Went to a shop the other day and the guy thought I was buying for my son. Any old timers on this forum?
I hope you're not too old... I'm 39 and just picked up a Redline MX24 for myself over the weekend. My boys just started BMX and I needed the bike so I could ride the track with them. Go for it!
agoodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:45 PM   #16
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. 6 foot and 200 pounds
2. exercise the dog, maybe try some jumps
3. street, light trail
4. Under a $1000.00. These bikes seem like bargains compared to mountainbikes.
5. South Florida
6. No color preferences

Any other bike suggestions?
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:57 PM   #17
umpire54
Senior Member
 
umpire54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: 1953/54 Bianchi CdM, 63 Bianchi Record, 2~1968 Bianchi Record , 81 Raleigh Competition, 73 Italvega Nuovo Record , 76 Araya Randonneur, 72 Gitane Interclub, 87 Centurion Le Mans RS , 2008 Motobecane Hybrid, 86 Miyata 710, 91 Miyata Triple Cross
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey shawn28...check out the 29er bikes made by various companies out there. You can get into something not a lot of people have but yet be different. Also...I see tons of nice well equipped bmx bikes on Craigslist all the time here in the Houston area cheap, I am sure you will see them as well. Lots of really loaded bikes almost new from people/kids that just didn't ride them and their parents are selling them. Sounds great that you want a hobby to be enjoyed by you and your daughter! Good luck and you guys (and girl) have fun! Don't worry about age...I am lucky in that once in shape I can beat most "boys". Lots of mountain bike riding and cyclo cross out there for different ages. You daughter will love spending time with you (and mom?)!
umpire54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 11:18 PM   #18
mykesbykes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bc
Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/bik/1657530363.html

225 bucks gets you racing? crazy...my top pick so far, I love Kuwis, and you get all your gear to, heres hoping your a large,32,and wear 10-11s..

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/1654531795.html


http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/1641350361.html


check out these rides at coloredtuffs.com
http://www.coloredtuffs.com/shop/ind...&productId=912


2010 SE Racing 26" RETRO Looptail OM FLYER Bike- $100 Bill Wrap $669.

http://www.coloredtuffs.com/shop/ind...&productId=615


2010 SE Racing Limited Edition 24" Quad Looptail Bike $709.

http://www.coloredtuffs.com/shop/ind...&productId=729



2010 SE Racing 29" Big Ripper bike $449.


http://www.coloredtuffs.com/shop/ind...&productId=466


SE Racing 26" RETRO Looptail OM FLYER Bike- BLUE 2009 $499.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/1645177974.html
buy me this, and Ill mail you a kidney...Im O+.

Last edited by mykesbykes; 03-30-10 at 12:52 AM.
mykesbykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 12:53 AM   #19
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature
 
Greyryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 34, and got back on my BMX last year, after nearly ten years away from bikes. You're never too old, for a BMX. They've been making frames sized all kinds of people since at least the mid 90s.

I've heard that BMX bikes feel twitchy, if you're used to a mountain bike. I don't know anything about that, since my BMX is my mountain bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
OY! where is my walker and dentures LOL

look at a 26" wheeled cruiser. they are a bit more expensive but it may be more comfortable. you might even consider rebuilding a small MTB to a BMX bike
To quote a post from the Vintage BMX forums, "Big wheels are for when you've admitted to yourself that you're old."
Greyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 11:50 AM   #20
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realize its personal choice. But for those of you who are around 6ft 200 pounds, what size tire are you riding on? If any of you still race or just go all out is there more control with a smaller bike. I was looking around and saw 24", 26", and 29". I haven't sat on it yet but I was leaning towards the 24" because of it being more compact but still giving me more size than the average 20".
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 02:48 PM   #21
mykesbykes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bc
Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im 5-10ish 185 pounds, I ride a 21inch Team Mongoose, its a little longer than most bmxs. bars are forward a little and I have a long stem on it, but Im comfortable, I can jump, race dirt. Did you see that kuwahara I found near ya? damn I wish I lived down there, and that $100 bill wrap 24?!?? thats sick massive wickedly bloody awsome...dude..

I find control is good for me on a 21, but 19 and lower and its gets flakey, I would say a 24 is probably best for ya, and any bigger and it would just be a mountain bike.
mykesbykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 03:22 PM   #22
RatedZ
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Dude, you're not as rare as you think, being 37 years old. I just turned 36 3 days ago and I'm looking back into bikes. I miss the dirt and miss jumping "Devil's Pit." No, it wasn't extreme, at being a 3-foot highramp and 6 foot-long pit, but I've been having one Hell of a time getting answers on what type of bike I should go with.

I'll be doing a lot of riding on asphalt with my wife, but there are times when I'm just going to have to get down and dirty. Street-riding honestly bores the Hell out of me. The only problem is that I need something that I'm going to be able to ride distances on, as well as hit the dirt jumps.

I've been looking more into the mountain bike side of things; GT Avalanche 1.0, Cannondale F5, and some competitors. Then, I keep getting 20 different answers from 20 different people that these bikes won't withstand that type of abuse, or from others that claim they'll be great for what I'm doing.

I will be getting back on a bike for my first time in 22 years. Given that I want to do different styles of riding; some "extreme," and some not-so-extreme, I'm confused as to whether I should be looking into a BMX bike like a GT Ruckus, or I'll be okay with a mountain bike.

Then, I'm confused. What exactly is mountain biking? Is it just riding over bumpy roots, or are there jumps involved on the paths? I don't know the first thing about it. All I know is that I have the urge to hit some dirt and jump some dirt ramps from time to time.

Maybe somebody can help me, while we're at it here...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 04:11 PM   #23
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedZ View Post
Dude, you're not as rare as you think, being 37 years old. I just turned 36 3 days ago and I'm looking back into bikes. I miss the dirt and miss jumping "Devil's Pit." No, it wasn't extreme, at being a 3-foot highramp and 6 foot-long pit, but I've been having one Hell of a time getting answers on what type of bike I should go with.

I'll be doing a lot of riding on asphalt with my wife, but there are times when I'm just going to have to get down and dirty. Street-riding honestly bores the Hell out of me. The only problem is that I need something that I'm going to be able to ride distances on, as well as hit the dirt jumps.

I've been looking more into the mountain bike side of things; GT Avalanche 1.0, Cannondale F5, and some competitors. Then, I keep getting 20 different answers from 20 different people that these bikes won't withstand that type of abuse, or from others that claim they'll be great for what I'm doing.

I will be getting back on a bike for my first time in 22 years. Given that I want to do different styles of riding; some "extreme," and some not-so-extreme, I'm confused as to whether I should be looking into a BMX bike like a GT Ruckus, or I'll be okay with a mountain bike.

Then, I'm confused. What exactly is mountain biking? Is it just riding over bumpy roots, or are there jumps involved on the paths? I don't know the first thing about it. All I know is that I have the urge to hit some dirt and jump some dirt ramps from time to time.

Maybe somebody can help me, while we're at it here...
Thanks to all of you guys again. I probably could add a little input here. I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur mountain bike and love it. But to be honest I think the BMX bike would be more fun. The BMX bikes are lighter and alot easier to maintain. No worrying about gears and shocks. I have pedals on my bike that were about $200, 10 years ago. My shock was over $500, again 10 years ago. For the price of those two items you can get a really good BMX bike. I would think (not sure) that a light mountain bike would be heavy compared to the average BMX bike.
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 05:27 PM   #24
RatedZ
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn28 View Post
Thanks to all of you guys again. I probably could add a little input here. I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur mountain bike and love it. But to be honest I think the BMX bike would be more fun. The BMX bikes are lighter and alot easier to maintain. No worrying about gears and shocks. I have pedals on my bike that were about $200, 10 years ago. My shock was over $500, again 10 years ago. For the price of those two items you can get a really good BMX bike. I would think (not sure) that a light mountain bike would be heavy compared to the average BMX bike.
I looked at (and lifted...) a few of the bikes, including a Specialized "Hard Rock" and it was fairly light, but this is a brand that I'm not familiar with, so I'm probably not going to be interested in it. The Cannondale F5 wasn't too bad.

See, most of my riding is going to be on asphalt, but I want something that can handle some rough stuff if I see something to jump. I drove by the bike trail by our home today and there are a lot of "opportunities" to go down big, rocky hills, and that would be fun, but I'm still going to need to "get some air" from time to time.

If I didn't want something I'd be able to ride some distance on, I'd be looking more towards a BMX bike.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 06:26 PM   #25
shawn28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys. Bought a Redline Proline 24 at a local dealer. Figured it will be more than enough for what i need. How can I find out about local tracks in south Florida? There use to be one in coral Springs but I heard they hold races only every once in awhile. Thanks to all of you guys again.
shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 PM.