Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: 3 piece cranks

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    My Bikes
    Haro Backtrail X1
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    3 piece cranks

    what is the advantage of a 3 piece crank. is it easier to pedal,is it lighter? are they easy to install. i am only 13 and neither me or my dad are real good at fixing bikes.

  2. #2
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're stronger, easier to maintain, easier to install and remove.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    san marcos california
    My Bikes
    haro backtrail x1
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats my question, but wheres the maintanence in a one pice crank, i want 3 pc, but i really wanna know if its worth it.

  4. #4
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't broken your one-piece cranks and you don't plan on doing a lot of really hadr riding, then there's no real reason to switch. Also, keep in mind that you'd need to get new pedals if you got three-piece, because three-piece cranks use 9/16" pedal spindle bosses, unlike one-piecers, which use 1/2".

  5. #5
    Senior Member BMXTRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are worth it if you are constantly needing to maintain your cranks - that's it.

    I grew up on one piece cranks and rode the first 3 years of freestyle on one piece cranks. When I switched, I was having to adjust my one piece cranks every other day and was constantly screwing up the bearings and stuff.

    So, if you don't have issues with your one piece cranks, then don't switch them out for three piece. Good three piece cranks are at least $120.00 - though you can get used Profile cranks on eBay for under $100.00 usually. Either way, you will need the new pedals and will need to install them which is fairly difficult for a non-mechanical person the first couple of times.

  6. #6
    Senior Member sxe fbm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Noobie
    thats my question, but wheres the maintanence in a one pice crank, i want 3 pc, but i really wanna know if its worth it.
    If you ride hard, constantly having to adjust your bb.

  7. #7
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
    They are worth it if you are constantly needing to maintain your cranks - that's it.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought redline flights, just the way they gleam on my master they are as important as the wheels.......much clown luv

  9. #9
    Obeying Gravity
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    easier to maintain
    agreed. i have 3 piece cranks on both my BMX bikes, and they're great. I bent my chainwheel a few days ago, and the replacement part is only like $10. better than replacing the whainwheel and the crank and all. In my opinion it's a good investment.

  10. #10
    BMX_69
    Guest
    3 piece cranks r alot lighter, easier 2 work with and 2 install

  11. #11
    very very confused haro_rider09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My Bikes
    Haro F3, new 2005 DK Cincinnati
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldnt say lighter because some times there heavier when u have it all put together

  12. #12
    Rides Street haro_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your not a hardcore rider, and u dont have alot of money to spend on a 3-piece just get a strong one piece. they r not as good but they will still hold.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 piece cranks will add weight to your bike there is no dout about it but they have some very serious advantages. wen i went frum 1 peice to 3 i definetly notics a weight chage on my bike but u cant beat them. the frist and probabaly biggest advantage is that if you get good crank with sealed bearings, unless u are a crazy muther f***ing phyco u will probabally never hafta worry about fixing or gettin new bearings again. another is that they are by far alot stronger and if you are the type of person that bends 1 pc cranks to hell within a week ov getting it like me then u want to make the change. i bent 1 pc cranks like they were made ov plastic but my 3 pc take all the abuse i can shell out. some people might complain about having to swither your pedasl 2 but there is also an advantage there. the pedals you need have a bigger spindle and are much stronger (9/16) and usualy have bettr features compared to they 3/8 of 1 pc pedals as some people call them the overall thing is probabally the look it gives your bike, it just make everyhting look so tough and high quality and also the smoothness you will get frum the bearings. even if u dont ride hard if you have money and u like to ride bike ans build them then get a set of 3 pc cranck you wont regret it

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o and by the way im not a newb, iv been riding for about 6 years im just to lazy to change my thing

  15. #15
    Dig. KinetikBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    My Bikes
    S&M, Nishiki
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_rider
    3 piece cranks will add weight to your bike there is no dout about it but they have some very serious advantages. wen i went frum 1 peice to 3 i definetly notics a weight chage on my bike but u cant beat them. the frist and probabaly biggest advantage is that if you get good crank with sealed bearings, unless u are a crazy muther f***ing phyco u will probabally never hafta worry about fixing or gettin new bearings again. another is that they are by far alot stronger and if you are the type of person that bends 1 pc cranks to hell within a week ov getting it like me then u want to make the change. i bent 1 pc cranks like they were made ov plastic but my 3 pc take all the abuse i can shell out. some people might complain about having to swither your pedasl 2 but there is also an advantage there. the pedals you need have a bigger spindle and are much stronger (9/16) and usualy have bettr features compared to they 3/8 of 1 pc pedals as some people call them the overall thing is probabally the look it gives your bike, it just make everyhting look so tough and high quality and also the smoothness you will get frum the bearings. even if u dont ride hard if you have money and u like to ride bike ans build them then get a set of 3 pc cranck you wont regret it
    you mean 1/2" right...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_rider
    3 piece cranks will add weight to your bike there is no dout about it but they have some very serious advantages. wen i went frum 1 peice to 3 i definetly notics a weight chage on my bike but u cant beat them. the frist and probabaly biggest advantage is that if you get good crank with sealed bearings, unless u are a crazy muther f***ing phyco u will probabally never hafta worry about fixing or gettin new bearings again. another is that they are by far alot stronger and if you are the type of person that bends 1 pc cranks to hell within a week ov getting it like me then u want to make the change. i bent 1 pc cranks like they were made ov plastic but my 3 pc take all the abuse i can shell out. some people might complain about having to swither your pedasl 2 but there is also an advantage there. the pedals you need have a bigger spindle and are much stronger (9/16) and usualy have bettr features compared to they 3/8 of 1 pc pedals as some people call them the overall thing is probabally the look it gives your bike, it just make everyhting look so tough and high quality and also the smoothness you will get frum the bearings. even if u dont ride hard if you have money and u like to ride bike ans build them then get a set of 3 pc cranck you wont regret it

    nice bump

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no acctually it is 3/8, go to ur local shop and check it out

  18. #18
    Dig. KinetikBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    My Bikes
    S&M, Nishiki
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    nice bump
    i try

  19. #19
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_rider
    no acctually it is 3/8, go to ur local shop and check it out
    One-piece cranks use a 1/2" pedal spindle; three-piecers use 9/16". It's been that way since before I was born, and still is that way.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking of bb and cranks....do you guys know what exactly what to do about a ''popping'' crank....everytime i do a manual and i put just a little bit of pressure on the crank...this big like noise(pop) comes from it....i am not peddling when it happens....any ideas?

  21. #21
    have a tail will travel
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    eastern ace of spades
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yuo might have cracked your bearing case or sumthing check

  22. #22
    Jerzee Devil LaBella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Jerzee
    My Bikes
    standard bmx trls 250
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Line Flight Cranks!

    way tougher and are "bulletproof"...LOL

    you need to 'upgrade'

  23. #23
    Dig. KinetikBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    My Bikes
    S&M, Nishiki
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBella
    Red Line Flight Cranks!

    way tougher and are "bulletproof"...LOL

    you need to 'upgrade'
    OR NOT. go with either Proflies or Primo cranks...there the best...

  24. #24
    Baned. mude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    nice bump
    Quote Originally Posted by KinetikBiker04
    i try
    he wasn't talking to you

  25. #25
    Dig. KinetikBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    My Bikes
    S&M, Nishiki
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mude
    he wasn't talking to you
    ya, he was...and you just bumped your self....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •