Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mongoose BMX PRO

    Just arrived CHROME and rusty...
    I took the brass brush to it and a lot of the rust disappeared but there is bad rust in the joints...
    Shimano XT Deore shifters thumb and Rear Derailleur crank headset and brakes and a nice bell(doesn't work)

    Is this worth saving?
    Cool Handlebars


    Suntour XC cleaned up nice Sugino FX triple and







    and some cool pedals

    z

  2. #2
    Local Weed/gardening services Blak Majyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Shock Town, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Custom Verde Modus
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got a Mongoose? I'm sorry.
    2011 Custom Verde Modus, "Blak Majyk."

  3. #3
    Powerful-Ugly Creature Greyryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask down in the mountain bike forum, seeing as what you have there is a mountain bike. Judging by the roller cam brakes, I'm guessing it's from some time in the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    When some wild eyed eight foot tall maniac grabs you by the throat and taps the back of your favorite head head against the barroom wall, and he looks crooked in the eye, and he ask you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

  4. #4
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,131
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kc0yef View Post
    Just arrived CHROME and rusty...
    I took the brass brush to it and a lot of the rust disappeared but there is bad rust in the joints...
    Shimano XT Deore shifters thumb and Rear Derailleur crank headset and brakes and a nice bell(doesn't work)

    Is this worth saving?
    Cool Handlebars
    I wouldn't scrap it. Wouldn't spend a ton on it either. It's not a gold mine, so you can't really make money flipping it after fixing it if that's what you mean. If you want to flip it, just clean it and sell it, don't fully restore.

    If you want a killer old trail bike then go for it. It's a nice-riding piece of history.

    New wheels, chain, cables, housing, tires, tubes, seatpost and saddle. Repack bearings, treat rust throughout (this will be a big job with so much rust) and you've got a nice mid-80s ride there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyryder View Post
    Ask down in the mountain bike forum, seeing as what you have there is a mountain bike. Judging by the roller cam brakes, I'm guessing it's from some time in the 80s.
    Classic and Vintage might go better. You can find instructions for cleaning chrome and aluminum there too.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-03-12 at 12:30 AM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  5. #5
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By cool bars you mean stem, there's a difference. Especially when they're just risers. And did you post those pedals in ssfg? I swear that same picture was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  6. #6
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,131
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, he must've been talking about the stem. Kind of a bullmoose style stem. Proper bullmoose setup was typically one-piece bar/stem combo.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  7. #7
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sorry your rusty

    I also got the original high flange hub with steel spokes and holes between every spoke...
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    If you want a killer old trail bike then go for it. It's a nice-riding piece of history.
    Yeah I was thinking something along that line or fix it and give it away...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak Majyk View Post
    You got a Mongoose? I'm sorry.
    OK thanks for sharing but your current condition is a little off topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    By cool bars you mean stem, there's a difference. Especially when they're just risers. And did you post those pedals in ssfg? I swear that same picture was there.
    Yes I did they are going on my Fixie... SR made a fine pedal didn't they?
    The handlebars are steel cool...and painted even cooler...which is why they had no rust...the riser stem is great because I am tall

  8. #8
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get retention on those pedals? Do they have anything in the from/back to thread some in?
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Can you get retention on those pedals? Do they have anything in the from/back to thread some in?
    Yes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •