Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    meech151
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    My Bikes
    MEECH road & cross bike
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Canti Placement on BMX

    Hey guys, I'm working on finishing up my first BMX frame build. It was originally for someone however they recently bailed on the project
    and I'm left finishing it up. I've never built a frame for 20" wheels and was wondering how far the canti brake studs are mounted from
    the dropouts? Also, if there is a necessary distance between the studs would be helpful as well. I'm not a bmxer so if anyone has some preferred brake info
    out there I would love to hear it.

    thanks

    Dimitri
    MEECH Custom Bicycles

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,877
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Just bought the brake parts, put the wheel in the otherwise complete frame.

    and only made 1 brazing jig, a piece of flatbar,
    drilled a bunch of holes in it, the last one a slot to adjust width by less than a whole between holes.

    holes sized for rhe 6mm bolt that holds the brake on. so the bosses are parallel .

    My Ca. '75. DIY frameset. Mafac Cantilevers . in my case,
    Where I put the brake boss on the frame was the adjustment.

    now the pads can be moved in the slot, that might be handy since tensioning the chain
    moves the rim away from the brake pad, then you have to readjust the brake pad.

    BMX a V brake is not going to get kicked , neither are U brakes.
    that is why they use either 1 or the other

    U brake frame pivot is above the rim, V brake Below.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 02-13-13 at 02:22 PM.

  3. #3
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why Canti's? U-brakes, maybe V if its a racing frame, are what get used on BMX frames. Canti's should be saved for cx racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  4. #4
    meech151
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    My Bikes
    MEECH road & cross bike
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    I Just bought the brake parts, put the wheel in the otherwise complete frame.

    and only made 1 brazing jig, a piece of flatbar,
    drilled a bunch of holes in it, the last one a slot to adjust width by less than a whole between holes.

    holes sized for rhe 6mm bolt that holds the brake on. so the bosses are parallel .

    My Ca. '75. DIY frameset. Mafac Cantilevers . in my case,
    Where I put the brake boss on the frame was the adjustment.

    now the pads can be moved in the slot, that might be handy since tensioning the chain
    moves the rim away from the brake pad, then you have to readjust the brake pad.

    BMX a V brake is not going to get kicked , neither are U brakes.
    that is why they use either 1 or the other

    U brake frame pivot is above the rim, V brake Below.
    So at the moment I am without bmx parts of any kind because I sent them back to the guy who decided to bail out on this build. Do you happen to know the
    measurement from the front center of the track dropout(like the wheel axle is slammed) to the center of the cantilever stud measured along the side of the seat stay?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always wanted to do this and i may when it gets warmer now that i have a mig and spare frame. I think You just need to mount the wheel with the correct tension on the chain and place the pads in the middle so you can adjust either way. i saw a video on youtube where a guy did it to a fixie but i dont remember the title. as for why... Ive always wondered why dirt and street frames used u brakes... v brakes work waaaay better. Even pos vbrakes are better than some u brakes u pay 60 bucks for. I am pretty good at adjusting brakes and the only time ive ever been able to get brakes to actually lock on stuff like fufanus, is with a chrome rim and with eagle 2's.

  6. #6
    Senior Member IthaDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    My Bikes
    Click on the #YOLO
    Posts
    4,620
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meech151 View Post
    Do you happen to know the
    measurement from the front center of the track dropout(like the wheel axle is slammed) to the center of the cantilever stud measured along the side of the seat stay?
    From Here:

    The last time I asked about canti spacing, the number I got was 80mm center to center, apparently from the literature of the big S. I expect it should depend on the rim width, but they didn't mention a correction. As to distance from axle, I was told 25mm less than the bead seat diameter...
    I have a bike in the garage, but it's 14 degrees outside, I can measure, but I'd imagine it's pretty easy to line up.

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Why Canti's? U-brakes, maybe V if its a racing frame, are what get used on BMX frames. Canti's should be saved for cx racing.
    V-brakes mount on cantilever studs.

    _________________________________________________________________________


    Quote Originally Posted by mroyal87 View Post
    always wanted to do this and i may when it gets warmer now that i have a mig and spare frame. I think You just need to mount the wheel with the correct tension on the chain and place the pads in the middle so you can adjust either way. i saw a video on youtube where a guy did it to a fixie but i dont remember the title. as for why... Ive always wondered why dirt and street frames used u brakes... v brakes work waaaay better. Even pos vbrakes are better than some u brakes u pay 60 bucks for. I am pretty good at adjusting brakes and the only time ive ever been able to get brakes to actually lock on stuff like fufanus, is with a chrome rim and with eagle 2's.
    Because U-brakes are much stronger in BOTH directions than V-brakes. It doesn't take a lot fufanus before the pivot bushings on the V's wear out and the bosses start bending.
    Last edited by IthaDan; 02-21-13 at 08:31 AM.

    Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang

  7. #7
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IthaDan View Post
    V-brakes mount on cantilever studs.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •