Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Check this out.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Check this out.

    Hey, I was just wondering about how much a custom bike would cost, so I took a look at danscomp.com and added up all of the parts I would put on a custom street bike. It totalled out at $991.58, with shipping and handling included. That is alot of money, but it is a custom bike. Well anyway, I was going to ask you guys to tell me if the parts I picked out are good ones that would last at least 2 years without breaking. Here is the part list:

    Kink Freebird Frame, Black, 20 inch, (American BB)

    4130 Cromoly Fork, Black, 20 x 1 1/8 inch -- 14mm drop outs

    Primo Hula Hoop Rim -- 14G, Crome, 48H

    Profile SS Cassette Hub (RHD) , Black, 48H, 14mm (Sealed)

    Kink OG Chainwheel, Black, 43T

    S&M Smal Bars, Black

    Industry Grips, Black

    DK MPH Headset, Gold (Sealed)

    Kink Frontloader Stem, Black

    Dan's Street/Trails Tubes, 20 x 1.75 1.95 2.20

    Alloy Hex Dome Valve Caps, Gold

    Primo Pro Tire, Black, 20 x 1.95 Inch

    Primo Pro Tire, Black, 20 x 2.10 Inch

    Primo Pro Front Hub, Black, 48H, 14mm (Sealed)

    Odyssey Midway Rim, Chrome, 48H

    Wellgo Comp Pedals, Black, 9/16 Inch

    Profile 3-PC Crank (RHD) , Black, 180mm (Sealed)


    I havn't picked any seat, seatpost, or gyro, but how does it sound so far? Anything I should change?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BMXTRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. 20" is a pretty short top tube.
    2. 43 tooth sprocket? Why not 33/12 gearing instead? Get with the times!
    3. American BB? Once again, get with the times!
    4. Fork = Odyssey, only thing you need
    5. You have two sets of rims listed... which is it?
    6. Welgo pedals... you can do better than that.
    7. That bike really won't be light by a long shot if that was your goal at all.
    8. No brakes? or pegs, or tubes, spokes, wheel building, bar ends, seat clamp, etc. You still have about $200.00 to build the bike completely if that's the goal.

    I wouldn't turn the bike down, but if you are spending that much cash, then there is a lot you can do to improve the bike right from the start and I would look at some other brands than Kink for different parts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should get a hazard light or 7ka rim to save weight in the front

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
    1. 20" is a pretty short top tube.
    2. 43 tooth sprocket? Why not 33/12 gearing instead? Get with the times!
    3. American BB? Once again, get with the times!
    4. Fork = Odyssey, only thing you need
    5. You have two sets of rims listed... which is it?
    6. Welgo pedals... you can do better than that.
    7. That bike really won't be light by a long shot if that was your goal at all.
    8. No brakes? or pegs, or tubes, spokes, wheel building, bar ends, seat clamp, etc. You still have about $200.00 to build the bike completely if that's the goal.

    I wouldn't turn the bike down, but if you are spending that much cash, then there is a lot you can do to improve the bike right from the start and I would look at some other brands than Kink for different parts.

    Ok, I know I picked the wrong sprocket. And what's wrong with an American BB? Most Euro cranksets cost an extra 10 to 15 dollars just to fit a Euro BB. And do you mean that I need to switch to an Odyssey fork instead of a factory direct fork? And the reason I have two rims is because one is for back, and one is for front. I didn't think that Hula Hoop rims could work for both front and back. Can they? And are Welgo pedals that bad? Wich would be a better replacement for the Wellgos? And I know I don't have brakes, spokes, and a seat post, but what in the world is a 'wheel building' ? And the grips come with bar ends I think. I may be wrong though. And I thought I already included innertubes if that is what you meant by 'tubes'. And I don't care too much about pegs, but what reccomendations would you have for a good set of pegs?

    And the biggest question of all is:

    Why wouldn't you recomend Kink?! I thought that it was a good company! They make their stuff in the USA, and it sounded good! Oh well, if you say they're not the best choice, then I beleive you... I don't know enough about these things anyway, so thanks for telling me. Dang, I thought I had made a good choice!

    I know I just asked you a whole crap load of questions, but I'd really really appreciate it if you would try your best to anwser them! Thank you very, very much!


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    you should get a hazard light or 7ka rim to save weight in the front

    So, hazzard lights are good rims then? Ok, thank alot! But will they take a beating? And do you mean put a hazzard light in the front instead of a Primo Hula Hoop? I'm sorry, but I just don't know a thing when it comes to rims, hubs, and tires! And will the tires I picked out fit on Hazzard Light rims, and Primo Hula Hoop rims? Thanks!


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BMXTRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom wheel building: When you order non-stock wheels then you have to pay to have someone build them up unless you are going to do it yourself. So, you need spokes and to pay for the wheels to be built.

    Euro BB will shave about half a pound of steel off the bike. I have never heard of anyone breaking a Euro BB, so IMHO it is the only way to go when buying stuff new.

    I would recommend Kink, if that is really what you want. They make good stuff, but I would also mix things up. The new Odyssey stem is awesome. There are other companies that make components (like sprockets) that are easily as good, if not far better than Kink. No specific ones, but the list of comparable product is long.

    You can use a Kink fork, the Odyssey is probably lighter and just as durable. If you aren't planning on grinding, then what is this bike for? Dirt? It's overkill for dirt in my opinion.

    Any rim can work front & back. If you aren't running brakes up front then you don't need to spend more for chrome plated though. Any decent rim for a fair price will work.

    Welgo pedals aren't that bad, they just aren't very good either. Someone else can give you a list of better pedals. I use nylon pedals.

    Innertubes - tubes - same thing. Yep, there's 6 bucks.

    Grips may come with plastic bar ends - they'll get trashed when you crash though. Aluminum will last longer, but your choice.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
    Custom wheel building: When you order non-stock wheels then you have to pay to have someone build them up unless you are going to do it yourself. So, you need spokes and to pay for the wheels to be built.

    Euro BB will shave about half a pound of steel off the bike. I have never heard of anyone breaking a Euro BB, so IMHO it is the only way to go when buying stuff new.

    I would recommend Kink, if that is really what you want. They make good stuff, but I would also mix things up. The new Odyssey stem is awesome. There are other companies that make components (like sprockets) that are easily as good, if not far better than Kink. No specific ones, but the list of comparable product is long.

    You can use a Kink fork, the Odyssey is probably lighter and just as durable. If you aren't planning on grinding, then what is this bike for? Dirt? It's overkill for dirt in my opinion.

    Any rim can work front & back. If you aren't running brakes up front then you don't need to spend more for chrome plated though. Any decent rim for a fair price will work.

    Welgo pedals aren't that bad, they just aren't very good either. Someone else can give you a list of better pedals. I use nylon pedals.

    Innertubes - tubes - same thing. Yep, there's 6 bucks.

    Grips may come with plastic bar ends - they'll get trashed when you crash though. Aluminum will last longer, but your choice.
    Ok, you anwsered my question fully and clearly, thank you very much! You don't know how much this means to me. So I got the tubes, could use better pedals but not a nessesity, stock grip bar ends are fine, but most likey to break soon. And I want brakes both in front and back, so chrome is better for braking, I think... And are Hula Hoop Rims good rims? And should I use something lighter for the front rim? And if so, any suggestions? And the fork thing, I'll check out some more stuff from Odyssey, they sound good. Are they a good company, with tough parts and such? Ok, so Kink is ok for the frame? I mean will that frame last for as long as I want it to last me? (wich is forever) Or should I look at a different frame? And at danscomp.com they build your custom wheels for free, so I don't need to pay that extra price. But thanks for clearing that up. And I guess a Euro BB is good, thanks. And what is the name of the new Odyessy stem, it sounds interesting. Would you recomend it? And finally, I'm almost embaresed to say this, but I don't know how to grind.... Yeah, I know I stink, but I wasn't actually planning on building this bike any time soon, espessially since I don't have NEAR enough money for it. I just wanted to get an idea of good parts and companies, and what the pricing would be. Thank you very very much, you're a very kind and patient person anwsering all of these questions for me! I have to go to bed, see ya'!


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  8. #8
    Canon fiend MadMan2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    old peugot frankenbike
    Posts
    3,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/haze...IL&item=211410

    How about that frame? It has a euro BB, has 'pantera' in the name (always a plus), and it even matches your user name.. heh.

    I'm guessing almost all the rims danscomp sells are decent. Are you going to be completely without funds for the rest of the time you'll have the bike?
    If not, just get whatever rim suits your fancy at the moment, then replace it if you break it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan2k
    http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/haze...IL&item=211410

    How about that frame? It has a euro BB, has 'pantera' in the name (always a plus), and it even matches your user name.. heh.

    I'm guessing almost all the rims danscomp sells are decent. Are you going to be completely without funds for the rest of the time you'll have the bike?
    If not, just get whatever rim suits your fancy at the moment, then replace it if you break it.

    Well, lets just say that if I bought this bike, I wouldn't be putting down any more green for awhile. LOL But thanks for the frame suggestion, it looks pretty good. The reason I picked Kink was because they make their frames in the USA, and it was on sale at danscomp.com, so it looked good, and I thought I could same some money. But I don't know, does anyone have anymore frame suggestions that are REALLY good frames and can take a beating, and that a dependable? I'd really appreciat any and all suggestions. Thanks!


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok! I've finalized my custom bike components list.(I'm sorry if it's in a weird order, but I'm just copying it by typing from the list I printed out at danscomp.com) This time it totalled out at 1258.47 dollars, with shipping included. Now just add another 50 bucks for the spokes and detangler, and, there you have it my custom bike! Take a look and see what you think:


    Odyssey Modulever (Brake levers)
    Black/Black, Pair

    Ultra Cable (Brake wire)
    Black

    Tektro 907/908 U-Brake
    Silver, Rear

    Tektro 907/908 U-Brake
    Silver, Front

    990 Brake Plate
    Black (Qty. 2)

    Odyssey 41 Thermal 3-PC Crank
    Black, 180mm- European BB

    Odyssey Chock Full O' Nuts Stem
    Black, With Gyro Tabs

    Poverty Hustler Pedals (Sealed)
    Black, 9/16 Inch

    Odyessy Pro Dirt Fork
    Black, 14mm Dropouts

    KMC Heavy Duty 410H Chain
    Silver, 1/8 Inch

    Shadow Monster Seat Post (Cromoly)
    Black, 25.4mm

    Alloy Hex Dome Valve Caps
    Gold

    Dan's Street/Trails Tubes
    20 x 1.75/1.95/2.20

    DK MPH Headset (Sealed)
    Gold

    Industry Grips
    Black

    S&M Smal Bars
    Black

    Profile SS 14mm Cassette Hub (RHD)
    Black, 48H, 14mm

    Primo Hula Hoop Rim --14G (For rear)
    Chrome, 48H

    DK Iron Cross Chainwheel
    Black/Silver, 33T, 1/8 Inch

    Odyssey Hazard Lite Rim (For front)
    Chrome, 48H---20 x 1.75 Inch

    Shadow Street Seat
    Black

    Odyssey Hazard Front Hub (Front only)
    Black, 48H

    Odyssey Elm Street Tire
    Black, 20 x 1.85 Inch (Qty. 2 )

    Kink Freebird Frame
    Black, 20.5 Inch (European BB)

    Profile Cassette Cog
    12T - 3/32 Inch

    Oddyssey Gyro 3 (Sealed)
    Black, 1-1/8 Inch

    I think that that is about it, so what do you think? If you could, tell me which parts should be replaced with a different part. And tell me what picks I made that were good. Thank you!

    PS: I didn't include a detangler, or spokes, but I know what spokes I'm going to get. I picked out 14G/15G Stainless Double-butted spokes. They have thinner 15G size in the middle of the spoke for weight savings, and 14G Double-butted for the ends. They include brass niples. And I was thinking about an ST Org Detangler, was that a good choice? And I still don't know about pegs.
    Last edited by FLyBOy; 02-12-05 at 04:22 PM.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do you need two 990 plates?the frame has mounts and you could get the fork with 990 mounts. i recommend you get an odyssey race fork and a flat axle.you also included the detangler in your list.if you buy a gyro, why would you need a second detangler.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    r u serious are buy it all at the same time

  13. #13
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  14. #14
    Senior Member BMXTRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would get the Pro Dirt fork from Odyssey w/brake bosses on them already (call the shop, they either have them, or can order them).

    You would not need the 990 brake plates.

    I would go with a better brake brand than Tektro. You see Tektro on bikes all the time because they are cheap, not because they are good. Odyssey Evolvers, Dia-Compe 990's, Diatech, or Revenge - not Fly, not Tektro.

    Looks really good though, still might want to look at some other stuff to save some weight, but really, looks good.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman

    Huh, Beerman, you are truly a comedian! That is really funny! And Josh 3, I don't know what in the world you were trying to ask me, so I cannot anwser you.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
    You would get the Pro Dirt fork from Odyssey w/brake bosses on them already (call the shop, they either have them, or can order them).

    You would not need the 990 brake plates.

    I would go with a better brake brand than Tektro. You see Tektro on bikes all the time because they are cheap, not because they are good. Odyssey Evolvers, Dia-Compe 990's, Diatech, or Revenge - not Fly, not Tektro.

    Looks really good though, still might want to look at some other stuff to save some weight, but really, looks good.

    Ok, thank you for the complements. I thought about your advice on the part selections, and made a few different choices. But again, thank you for your help and patients, your a very kind person. And I did look at Odyssey Evolvers, and I think I'll make that switch. And they come with there own brake pads, which is nice! So, everything else looks good then? That's good! But I do have one more question. What other components do you suggest that I could get to save weight? Because I added it all together, and this bike only weighs 28 pounds with the frame included. I didn't think that that was very heavy, but I don't know enough about that to be sure. My current bike weighs 32 pounds. But, anyway, thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  17. #17
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I just realized? A kid who just learned to bunnyhop wants to buy a bike that costs more than my car did.

  18. #18
    Canon fiend MadMan2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    old peugot frankenbike
    Posts
    3,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to save weight, you could always take off the front wheel. Ride that wheelie

    Why dont you get the unsealed ver of the pedals (Peddlers)... those are what I have, not installed yet, but they seem nice.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Raw Eastern Jane with Ody. cassette hub and chrome Ody Midway rim laced 4 cross with black Primo Spokes. A Black Tree Sprocket. I run 36/13 Not enough room to put my race bike in but its sick ask if you want me to tell you about it
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    You know what I just realized? A kid who just learned to bunnyhop wants to buy a bike that costs more than my car did.
    lol

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    You know what I just realized? A kid who just learned to bunnyhop wants to buy a bike that costs more than my car did.

    Hey Beerman, I guess you can't read very well because I said I wanted to see how much a custom bike would cost, I did not say that I was going to buy it. I imagine all of us would like their own personalized bike, and I was just trying to get an idea of how much one would cost. That is all, no more, no less. So unless you're joking, maybe you should just keep it to yourself. And there is no reason to make fun of me because I'm proud I can do a bunnyhop, I stink at them and I know it. But there is no excuse whatsoever to put someone down because they learned something new.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Rosmeount Minnesota
    My Bikes
    I own 1 custom bike, and i'm to lazy to list parts
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    ...tell me if the parts I picked out are good ones that would last at least 2 years without breaking.
    It doesn't matter how much you spend on a bike something will break within a 2 years. Well, if you actually ride your bike a lot it will. It doesn't matter how smooth you ride, you can mess up on a gap and case your back tire and you've allready got a poped tube and/or bent rim. A lot of this just eventualy wear down like tires, brake pads, pegs, grips, pedals, and berrings. So even if you purcase your dream bike don't expect it to not need any maintnece. Good choice on the frame though, that won't need any maintnence.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmichaelx
    It doesn't matter how much you spend on a bike something will break within a 2 years. Well, if you actually ride your bike a lot it will. It doesn't matter how smooth you ride, you can mess up on a gap and case your back tire and you've allready got a poped tube and/or bent rim. A lot of this just eventualy wear down like tires, brake pads, pegs, grips, pedals, and berrings. So even if you purcase your dream bike don't expect it to not need any maintnece. Good choice on the frame though, that won't need any maintnence.

    Umm, I know that any part I get for a bike will need maintainece, it is a fact of modern science. I'm not trying to make a bike that is invencible to all damage and wear, I'm just seeing how much a good, well-built custom bike would cost. That is why I started this thread, to ask opinions on parts and add those parts up to see what it would cost. So no offence, but I already know what you've told me. Thanks for trying though.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Umm, I know that any part I get for a bike will need maintainece, it is a fact of modern science. I'm not trying to make a bike that is invencible to all damage and wear, I'm just seeing how much a good, well-built custom bike would cost. That is why I started this thread, to ask opinions on parts and add those parts up to see what it would cost. So no offence, but I already know what you've told me. Thanks for trying though.
    theres no way to know how much a good bike will cost. i cracked a dk and an odyssey pedal from pedal grinds. i bent a pitchfork when trying to 180 a gap. i buy a new peg every month. you can get the best parts and they will still break. its good to maintain your bike properly, but it wont prevent it from breaking.
    i wouldn't get tektros, they're the ones that come on kids bikes. if it was me, i would say **** brakes, it makes riding more exciting, but whatever you want

  24. #24
    bmxracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    new egypt, some hick town in new jersey
    My Bikes
    i own a gt ricochet hardtail mtb, a cannondale road, and full suspension mtb, a haro tr 2.1, a diamondback viper that i rebuilt painted and rebuilt with lighter parts, a brand new H&H race group race bike, and a eastern metalhead
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to hell with welgo pedals i say. that fork will break in half. most of the other parts sound pretty good. beer what the hell kind of car did u buy anyway... even a used car... for less that 1000
    last minute breakfest at WaWa......$2
    answers to last nights homework you forgot.......$2
    school lunch without a cookie.......$2
    finally escaping the crap in which everyday holds to get out on your bike.......priceless
    --------------------------------------------------
    that's life, this is BMX

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    theres no way to know how much a good bike will cost. i cracked a dk and an odyssey pedal from pedal grinds. i bent a pitchfork when trying to 180 a gap. i buy a new peg every month. you can get the best parts and they will still break. its good to maintain your bike properly, but it wont prevent it from breaking.
    i wouldn't get tektros, they're the ones that come on kids bikes. if it was me, i would say **** brakes, it makes riding more exciting, but whatever you want

    Ok, I probably needed to know that, thanks. And yeah, tektros are crap. When you buy better quality bike parts you don't have to replace them as quickly, but you should expect any and every bike part to break eventually. But do you really not have brakes on your bike? LOL And since you broke an S&M Pitchfork fork, they replaced it for free, didn't they? Or did you not send it in? Because S&M replaces their forks for free the first time you break them, (as long as you sent in the warranty card, or have the 'proof of purchase' receit) and then the second one you break they'll send you a new one but you have to pay for half of it. But, half off an S&M fork is definetly better than full price! And by the way, how long did that Pitchfork last you?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •