Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Building the first BMX..

    I've been thinking about getting a BMX for fooling around a bit, mostly for street/park, but maybe looking into racing a bit later.. So today I saw this 21,5 TT frame on discount, that should fit my 6' frame, and thought why not rescue the poor thing

    I'm ok in the shop, due to maintaining my MTB and road bike, but wanted to ask if there's something that's different with a BMX build? Also, as an adult guy at around 170 lbs, is there something I should know about components, are there things I should avoid?

  2. #2
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20.5 is going to be a bit small for you. You should look at something like a 21 up to a 21.25. As far as things to avoid, Eastern was always bunk in my experience. Although I haven't seen/handled any of their stuff in a few years.

    As for maintenance and all that, its basically all the same. Bikes is bikes. The only thing that you might find different is the BB cluster/assembly, because the bearings are larger, and the cranks are a bit different than something for road or MTB use.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    20.5 is going to be a bit small for you. You should look at something like a 21 up to a 21.25. As far as things to avoid, Eastern was always bunk in my experience. Although I haven't seen/handled any of their stuff in a few years.

    As for maintenance and all that, its basically all the same. Bikes is bikes. The only thing that you might find different is the BB cluster/assembly, because the bearings are larger, and the cranks are a bit different than something for road or MTB use.
    I think he said in his post he found a 21.5 frame, unless im seeing things, otherwise yeah it can be similar, just make sure you get as much chromoly parts as possible, as its stronger then hi tensil steel and aluminum. Racing is much different from street/park and youll probably want a whole different set up for that.

  4. #4
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read it wrong. I saw a 0 instead of a 1. Had a moment of stoopit. In my defense though, why the hell would you use a comma instead of a period for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    I read it wrong. I saw a 0 instead of a 1. Had a moment of stoopit. In my defense though, why the hell would you use a comma instead of a period for that?
    While I'm not sure what difference would it make, it's Continental European (aka non-British) way of writing numbers.. it's you English-speakers who have it wrong
    Last edited by proileri; 04-06-13 at 05:34 AM.

  6. #6
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a few Europeans, and they use a period instead of a comma. And when you look at it, doesn't it just look more legible?
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    I know a few Europeans, and they use a period instead of a comma. And when you look at it, doesn't it just look more legible?
    Do they live in the States? People from British Isles use a period, while France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. use a comma. I have to admit it's been a PITA for me to remember which is the correct way to write numbers and when - especially considering due to my university education I'm supposed to be able to write correct professional text both in English and in my native tongue

  8. #8
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, in the States. But have you bought a bike/parts to build?
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha I understand the confusion, and yeah did you ever get the bike going?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff is still in the mail, unfortunately! That's ok, since the streets here in the "European Alaska" still have some ice, and I've been busy getting my other bikes ready.

    I got the 21.5" frame here, and I noticed that they're still blowing out last year's models, so I have one bike with a 20.8" frame incoming I can use to scavenge the parts. Seems to use a different BB, but otherwise should be good.

    Notice that the numbers are now written in "US" so you guys can understand them! I don't mind the punctuation, but if we only could get you to use the metric system..
    Last edited by proileri; 04-07-13 at 03:47 AM.

  11. #11
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're pretty much set to go on the bike haha. Goodluck getting all the parts swapped over
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Sounds like you're pretty much set to go on the bike haha. Goodluck getting all the parts swapped over
    Cheers! I was looking to get the components, but then I noticed some clearance bikes had -60% off MRSP. I don't mind having to sell an extra frame, if every component is less than half price
    Last edited by proileri; 04-08-13 at 03:14 AM.

  13. #13
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What frame did you buy, and what complete bike did you buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    What frame did you buy, and what complete bike did you buy?
    The frame is a Redline Proline alu racing frame, and the complete is a Stolen Score freestyle full cromo.

    It's my first BMX, no idea what kind of stuff I'm going to do with the bike at the moment, so two different frames, lol. I'll have to take it out, and to check the local community for what's up. Racing is probably not big around here, but trails might be.

  15. #15
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely do NOT take a racing frame down trails. Or ride street with it. Or take it to a skatepark. The score will be able to handle all of that, but that Redline should go nowhere except the track. Also, since you bought a complete that was built for those things, a handful of the parts from the Stolen won't be able to be transferred over.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Definitely do NOT take a racing frame down trails. Or ride street with it. Or take it to a skatepark. The score will be able to handle all of that, but that Redline should go nowhere except the track. Also, since you bought a complete that was built for those things, a handful of the parts from the Stolen won't be able to be transferred over.
    Yep, I knew there's a risk something doesn't transfer.

    In the aluminium frame front, is it really that poor, considering alu frames are used in MTBs? Are there some other specifics in addition to the frame that are usually different between racing and freestyle bikes?
    Last edited by proileri; 04-10-13 at 02:31 AM.

  17. #17
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geometry is different, so they handle differently than one another. And while downhill bikes do take quite a bit of abuse, its usually in ways that BMX bikes don't, and the stresses on the frame are a lot different. Besides, the dropouts are smaller in diameter than a frame built for the streets/park, which won't hold up to the abuse as well either.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Geometry is different, so they handle differently than one another. And while downhill bikes do take quite a bit of abuse, its usually in ways that BMX bikes don't, and the stresses on the frame are a lot different. Besides, the dropouts are smaller in diameter than a frame built for the streets/park, which won't hold up to the abuse as well either.
    Yeah, obviously steel is better for taking a huge amounts of hits, but I was thinking alu might be fine for a bit smoother riding. I think the worst abuse for aluminum frame might be direct frame knocks, as it's softer than steel. Also, landing big jumps hard would probably eat up the rear dropouts.

    Thanks for advice SR, I can always take the 20.8" steel frame out first and see what I'll use the bike for, then decide what to do regarding the frames.
    Last edited by proileri; 04-11-13 at 10:16 AM.

  19. #19
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proileri View Post
    Yeah, obviously steel is better for taking a huge amounts of hits, but I was thinking alu might be fine for a bit smoother riding. I think the worst abuse for aluminum frame might be direct frame knocks, as it's softer than steel. Also, landing big jumps hard would probably eat up the rear dropouts.

    Thanks for advice SR, I can always take the 20.8" steel frame out first and see what I'll use the bike for, then decide what to do regarding the frames.
    Steel actually absorbs more shock than alu does.
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
    Steel actually absorbs more shock than alu does.
    Smoother technique, that is

  21. #21
    We win all charity rides Street rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
    My Bikes
    BMX, fixed gear
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you say so
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    The brake lever is on the handlebars, so no one can complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •