Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Diamondback bikes.

    Is diamondback a good company? And do they make good quality bikes? Like for instance, is the new '05 Orion diamondback a good bike? Thanks.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  2. #2
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Not really. Not very good.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    No. Not really. Not very good.

    Oh, ok. What are bad about them? Don't think I'm questioning your judgement, I'm curious what's bad about diamondback. Because in magazines likd bmxplus! they say that the new 05' Orion is an awesome street bike ready to take some punishment. So I'm just wondering why you'd say they're bad. Thanks!


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  4. #4
    love to ride
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    pa
    My Bikes
    dk six pack
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no that not good at all.

  5. #5
    love to ride
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    pa
    My Bikes
    dk six pack
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no there not that good.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkbikess
    no there not that good.

    Ok, now two people say they are a bad company with bad bikes. But what makes them bad? I just want some clarification here. Thank you.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  7. #7
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    bmxplus! they say that the new 05' Orion is an awesome street bike ready to take some punishment.
    Here's your problem: you're reading BMX Plus!

  8. #8
    bmxracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    new egypt, some hick town in new jersey
    My Bikes
    i own a gt ricochet hardtail mtb, a cannondale road, and full suspension mtb, a haro tr 2.1, a diamondback viper that i rebuilt painted and rebuilt with lighter parts, a brand new H&H race group race bike, and a eastern metalhead
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i personally like diamondback. i've had two before. both great bikes. they aren't the strongest bikes in the wprld but they are built with decent parts, especially the 05's. they are cheaper, great if u dont have alot of money to spend but if u do have alot of money i wouldn't recommend one.
    last minute breakfest at WaWa......$2
    answers to last nights homework you forgot.......$2
    school lunch without a cookie.......$2
    finally escaping the crap in which everyday holds to get out on your bike.......priceless
    --------------------------------------------------
    that's life, this is BMX

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    Here's your problem: you're reading BMX Plus!

    Is there a problem with that magazine? Experts make, experts publish it, and experts take out the new bikes (including but not limited to the new '05 Orion) and beat the crap out of them then rate them on what they found. Have actually had a personal problem with diamondback bikes or company, or are you just saying they aren't good because you don't like them? Because you say that alot of companies aren't good, and I just don't know for sure.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmexican
    i personally like diamondback. i've had two before. both great bikes. they aren't the strongest bikes in the wprld but they are built with decent parts, especially the 05's. they are cheaper, great if u dont have alot of money to spend but if u do have alot of money i wouldn't recommend one.

    Ok, thank you. Let's just say that I have a $500 to $600 dollar budget; what company(s) would you recomend to get a stock bike from that are well built and have good parts on them? I was looking into S&M, Diamondback, and Eastern. Are any of those good companies with good bikes and parts?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    s&m doesnt make complete bikes

  12. #12
    Senior Member bxbmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    db are good for beginners. some of the intermediate bikes are good. better than the curren mongooses. i have an 02 joker and nothign bad happened to the frame. drop outs did not bend at all. then again nothign really bent

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    s&m doesnt make complete bikes

    Thanks for telling me that. I wasn't sure if they did or not, and I couldn't find out anywhere. Do you have any company recomendations that make good stock bikes?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  14. #14
    Senior Member BMXTRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diamondback is finally catching up to Haro and some of the other companies with their entry and mid level stuff.

    Bikes like the Orion and Venom have decent designs and the Orion really appears to have some decent components on it. That is it though: DECENT - Not great, not fantastic, no chrome rims, no sealed 3-piece cranks... Just a decent bike.

    The Sherman on the other hand gives you the sealed 3-piece cranks, cassette hub, Hombre U-brakes, and chrome rims. It isn't inexpensive by a long shot... but at least it falls into the realm of 'upper end' and seems to do it nicely.

    The problem with Diamond Back is that they are just imitators at this point - they really aren't a step ahead of their competition and they aren't advancing the sport at all. Instead, they just copy what companies like Haro and DK are doing. A good example is that even their high-end bike doesn't feature a Euro bottom bracket which is almost the standard for high-end bikes these days.

    The one thing they do that I like a lot, is with their top mounted brakes, they route the cable straight into the brakes. This improves brake performance greatly and reduces wear on the cables. Nice touch on even their cheaper bikes.

    But, no chrome rims on anything but their one top of the line, and top dollar ride. Also, no bigger bikes except for their one top of the line bike. So, a guy who is 5'10" and 15 or 16 years old and just looking to get into riding, must spend over 400 bucks with them to get any bike the right size.

    Yeah, they are a little behind the curve compared to other companies.

  15. #15
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Is there a problem with that magazine? Experts make, experts publish it, and experts take out the new bikes (including but not limited to the new '05 Orion) and beat the crap out of them then rate them on what they found.
    Yeah, they really beat the hell out of those bikes for the one day that they test them. A day of riding really shows you just how good a bike is.

    I was being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell.

  16. #16
    pack
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Australia
    My Bikes
    DK
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diamondback gives them a bike to promote it to people reading BMX plus!
    so people like you will buy there worthless bikes. if you are on a buget can i sugest companies like DK, Haro or Mongose they seem to be doing well in their mid priced bikes


    you get what u pay for!

  17. #17
    love to ride
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    pa
    My Bikes
    dk six pack
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya they dont last!! they will break.

  18. #18
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pack
    [bike company x] gives them a bike to promote it to people reading BMX plus!
    so people like you will buy there worthless bikes.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    Yeah, they really beat the hell out of those bikes for the one day that they test them. A day of riding really shows you just how good a bike is.

    I was being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell.

    Ok, ok, I'm sorry! I don't know if what the magazine says is correct or not, that is why I was checking it out with you guys! I don't beleive everything I here you know! I was just checking.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
    Diamondback is finally catching up to Haro and some of the other companies with their entry and mid level stuff.

    Bikes like the Orion and Venom have decent designs and the Orion really appears to have some decent components on it. That is it though: DECENT - Not great, not fantastic, no chrome rims, no sealed 3-piece cranks... Just a decent bike.

    The Sherman on the other hand gives you the sealed 3-piece cranks, cassette hub, Hombre U-brakes, and chrome rims. It isn't inexpensive by a long shot... but at least it falls into the realm of 'upper end' and seems to do it nicely.

    The problem with Diamond Back is that they are just imitators at this point - they really aren't a step ahead of their competition and they aren't advancing the sport at all. Instead, they just copy what companies like Haro and DK are doing. A good example is that even their high-end bike doesn't feature a Euro bottom bracket which is almost the standard for high-end bikes these days.

    The one thing they do that I like a lot, is with their top mounted brakes, they route the cable straight into the brakes. This improves brake performance greatly and reduces wear on the cables. Nice touch on even their cheaper bikes.

    But, no chrome rims on anything but their one top of the line, and top dollar ride. Also, no bigger bikes except for their one top of the line bike. So, a guy who is 5'10" and 15 or 16 years old and just looking to get into riding, must spend over 400 bucks with them to get any bike the right size.

    Yeah, they are a little behind the curve compared to other companies.

    Ok, that pretty much sums it up. Thank you.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm pretty much just going to put diamondback aside for now. Does anybody have any company recomendations that make good quality (not nessecarilly cheap either) stock bikes with good parts? I was looking at Easterns website yesterday, and they look like they know what they're doing. Are they a good company?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  22. #22
    Senior Member sxe fbm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Is there a problem with that magazine?
    They also won't run Little Devil ads, that's when I stopped buying it. May seem stupid, but I was allll about little devil then and they asked for people to not buy it, so I stopped. Ride is way better anyway.

  23. #23
    bmxracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    new egypt, some hick town in new jersey
    My Bikes
    i own a gt ricochet hardtail mtb, a cannondale road, and full suspension mtb, a haro tr 2.1, a diamondback viper that i rebuilt painted and rebuilt with lighter parts, a brand new H&H race group race bike, and a eastern metalhead
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just bought an eastern in january, my newest bike. (i couldn't afford to build myself a custom so i bought a complete and replaced some parts.) its an ok bike. Very strong. i havent been riding it long but i can already tell that its tough. it was like 300 sum bucks. eastern builds good value bikes, what u pay for is what u get. no extra costs like when buying an s&m. (ur paying for the name) S&m i hear, makes good parts and frames however.
    last minute breakfest at WaWa......$2
    answers to last nights homework you forgot.......$2
    school lunch without a cookie.......$2
    finally escaping the crap in which everyday holds to get out on your bike.......priceless
    --------------------------------------------------
    that's life, this is BMX

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Ok, I'm pretty much just going to put diamondback aside for now. Does anybody have any company recomendations that make good quality (not nessecarilly cheap either) stock bikes with good parts? I was looking at Easterns website yesterday, and they look like they know what they're doing. Are they a good company?

    i wouldnt want a stock bike. just buy used parts on ebay.theres also a police auction website where you can get a bike. sometimes they have decent bikes. i think its called stealitback.com

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    i wouldnt want a stock bike. just buy used parts on ebay.theres also a police auction website where you can get a bike. sometimes they have decent bikes. i think its called stealitback.com

    So you wouldn't suggest buying a better stock bike? Ok, the reason I started this thread was because I saw how expensive a fully custom bike was going to cost so I wanted to know if there were any good stock bikes so I wouldn't have to spend so much on. Mainly because I didn't know if my F3 Haro frame was tough enough to put good parts on. So I guess my real question is: Is my F3 Haro frame good enough to put better quality parts on?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •