Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-05, 09:54 PM   #1
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diamondback bikes.

Is diamondback a good company? And do they make good quality bikes? Like for instance, is the new '05 Orion diamondback a good bike? Thanks.
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 11:48 PM   #2
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Solid AA
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No. Not really. Not very good.
CMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:10 AM   #3
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman
No. Not really. Not very good.

Oh, ok. What are bad about them? Don't think I'm questioning your judgement, I'm curious what's bad about diamondback. Because in magazines likd bmxplus! they say that the new 05' Orion is an awesome street bike ready to take some punishment. So I'm just wondering why you'd say they're bad. Thanks!
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:11 AM   #4
Dkbikess
love to ride
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pa
Bikes: dk six pack
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no that not good at all.
Dkbikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:11 AM   #5
Dkbikess
love to ride
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pa
Bikes: dk six pack
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no there not that good.
Dkbikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:14 AM   #6
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkbikess
no there not that good.

Ok, now two people say they are a bad company with bad bikes. But what makes them bad? I just want some clarification here. Thank you.
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 11:36 AM   #7
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Solid AA
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLyBOy
bmxplus! they say that the new 05' Orion is an awesome street bike ready to take some punishment.
Here's your problem: you're reading BMX Plus!
CMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:42 PM   #8
bmexican
bmxracer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: new egypt, some hick town in new jersey
Bikes: i own a gt ricochet hardtail mtb, a cannondale road, and full suspension mtb, a haro tr 2.1, a diamondback viper that i rebuilt painted and rebuilt with lighter parts, a brand new H&H race group race bike, and a eastern metalhead
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i personally like diamondback. i've had two before. both great bikes. they aren't the strongest bikes in the wprld but they are built with decent parts, especially the 05's. they are cheaper, great if u dont have alot of money to spend but if u do have alot of money i wouldn't recommend one.
bmexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 02:16 PM   #9
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman
Here's your problem: you're reading BMX Plus!

Is there a problem with that magazine? Experts make, experts publish it, and experts take out the new bikes (including but not limited to the new '05 Orion) and beat the crap out of them then rate them on what they found. Have actually had a personal problem with diamondback bikes or company, or are you just saying they aren't good because you don't like them? Because you say that alot of companies aren't good, and I just don't know for sure.
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 02:19 PM   #10
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexican
i personally like diamondback. i've had two before. both great bikes. they aren't the strongest bikes in the wprld but they are built with decent parts, especially the 05's. they are cheaper, great if u dont have alot of money to spend but if u do have alot of money i wouldn't recommend one.

Ok, thank you. Let's just say that I have a $500 to $600 dollar budget; what company(s) would you recomend to get a stock bike from that are well built and have good parts on them? I was looking into S&M, Diamondback, and Eastern. Are any of those good companies with good bikes and parts?
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 05:34 PM   #11
queensrider86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jamaica queens nyc
Bikes: standard sta-r ox mark4
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
s&m doesnt make complete bikes
queensrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:14 PM   #12
bxbmx
Senior Member
 
bxbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
db are good for beginners. some of the intermediate bikes are good. better than the curren mongooses. i have an 02 joker and nothign bad happened to the frame. drop outs did not bend at all. then again nothign really bent
bxbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:52 PM   #13
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensrider86
s&m doesnt make complete bikes

Thanks for telling me that. I wasn't sure if they did or not, and I couldn't find out anywhere. Do you have any company recomendations that make good stock bikes?
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 10:30 PM   #14
BMXTRIX
Senior Member
 
BMXTRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diamondback is finally catching up to Haro and some of the other companies with their entry and mid level stuff.

Bikes like the Orion and Venom have decent designs and the Orion really appears to have some decent components on it. That is it though: DECENT - Not great, not fantastic, no chrome rims, no sealed 3-piece cranks... Just a decent bike.

The Sherman on the other hand gives you the sealed 3-piece cranks, cassette hub, Hombre U-brakes, and chrome rims. It isn't inexpensive by a long shot... but at least it falls into the realm of 'upper end' and seems to do it nicely.

The problem with Diamond Back is that they are just imitators at this point - they really aren't a step ahead of their competition and they aren't advancing the sport at all. Instead, they just copy what companies like Haro and DK are doing. A good example is that even their high-end bike doesn't feature a Euro bottom bracket which is almost the standard for high-end bikes these days.

The one thing they do that I like a lot, is with their top mounted brakes, they route the cable straight into the brakes. This improves brake performance greatly and reduces wear on the cables. Nice touch on even their cheaper bikes.

But, no chrome rims on anything but their one top of the line, and top dollar ride. Also, no bigger bikes except for their one top of the line bike. So, a guy who is 5'10" and 15 or 16 years old and just looking to get into riding, must spend over 400 bucks with them to get any bike the right size.

Yeah, they are a little behind the curve compared to other companies.
BMXTRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 02:40 AM   #15
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Solid AA
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLyBOy
Is there a problem with that magazine? Experts make, experts publish it, and experts take out the new bikes (including but not limited to the new '05 Orion) and beat the crap out of them then rate them on what they found.
Yeah, they really beat the hell out of those bikes for the one day that they test them. A day of riding really shows you just how good a bike is.

I was being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell.
CMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 05:50 AM   #16
pack
pack
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Bikes: DK
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
diamondback gives them a bike to promote it to people reading BMX plus!
so people like you will buy there worthless bikes. if you are on a buget can i sugest companies like DK, Haro or Mongose they seem to be doing well in their mid priced bikes


you get what u pay for!
pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 09:29 AM   #17
Dkbikess
love to ride
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pa
Bikes: dk six pack
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ya they dont last!! they will break.
Dkbikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 12:02 PM   #18
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Solid AA
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack
[bike company x] gives them a bike to promote it to people reading BMX plus!
so people like you will buy there worthless bikes.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
CMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 12:28 PM   #19
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman
Yeah, they really beat the hell out of those bikes for the one day that they test them. A day of riding really shows you just how good a bike is.

I was being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell.

Ok, ok, I'm sorry! I don't know if what the magazine says is correct or not, that is why I was checking it out with you guys! I don't beleive everything I here you know! I was just checking.
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 12:28 PM   #20
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
Diamondback is finally catching up to Haro and some of the other companies with their entry and mid level stuff.

Bikes like the Orion and Venom have decent designs and the Orion really appears to have some decent components on it. That is it though: DECENT - Not great, not fantastic, no chrome rims, no sealed 3-piece cranks... Just a decent bike.

The Sherman on the other hand gives you the sealed 3-piece cranks, cassette hub, Hombre U-brakes, and chrome rims. It isn't inexpensive by a long shot... but at least it falls into the realm of 'upper end' and seems to do it nicely.

The problem with Diamond Back is that they are just imitators at this point - they really aren't a step ahead of their competition and they aren't advancing the sport at all. Instead, they just copy what companies like Haro and DK are doing. A good example is that even their high-end bike doesn't feature a Euro bottom bracket which is almost the standard for high-end bikes these days.

The one thing they do that I like a lot, is with their top mounted brakes, they route the cable straight into the brakes. This improves brake performance greatly and reduces wear on the cables. Nice touch on even their cheaper bikes.

But, no chrome rims on anything but their one top of the line, and top dollar ride. Also, no bigger bikes except for their one top of the line bike. So, a guy who is 5'10" and 15 or 16 years old and just looking to get into riding, must spend over 400 bucks with them to get any bike the right size.

Yeah, they are a little behind the curve compared to other companies.

Ok, that pretty much sums it up. Thank you.
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 12:31 PM   #21
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm pretty much just going to put diamondback aside for now. Does anybody have any company recomendations that make good quality (not nessecarilly cheap either) stock bikes with good parts? I was looking at Easterns website yesterday, and they look like they know what they're doing. Are they a good company?
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 01:24 PM   #22
sxe fbm rider
Senior Member
 
sxe fbm rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).
Posts: 1,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLyBOy
Is there a problem with that magazine?
They also won't run Little Devil ads, that's when I stopped buying it. May seem stupid, but I was allll about little devil then and they asked for people to not buy it, so I stopped. Ride is way better anyway.
sxe fbm rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 01:38 PM   #23
bmexican
bmxracer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: new egypt, some hick town in new jersey
Bikes: i own a gt ricochet hardtail mtb, a cannondale road, and full suspension mtb, a haro tr 2.1, a diamondback viper that i rebuilt painted and rebuilt with lighter parts, a brand new H&H race group race bike, and a eastern metalhead
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just bought an eastern in january, my newest bike. (i couldn't afford to build myself a custom so i bought a complete and replaced some parts.) its an ok bike. Very strong. i havent been riding it long but i can already tell that its tough. it was like 300 sum bucks. eastern builds good value bikes, what u pay for is what u get. no extra costs like when buying an s&m. (ur paying for the name) S&m i hear, makes good parts and frames however.
bmexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 03:53 PM   #24
queensrider86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: jamaica queens nyc
Bikes: standard sta-r ox mark4
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLyBOy
Ok, I'm pretty much just going to put diamondback aside for now. Does anybody have any company recomendations that make good quality (not nessecarilly cheap either) stock bikes with good parts? I was looking at Easterns website yesterday, and they look like they know what they're doing. Are they a good company?

i wouldnt want a stock bike. just buy used parts on ebay.theres also a police auction website where you can get a bike. sometimes they have decent bikes. i think its called stealitback.com
queensrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 06:08 PM   #25
FLyBOy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensrider86
i wouldnt want a stock bike. just buy used parts on ebay.theres also a police auction website where you can get a bike. sometimes they have decent bikes. i think its called stealitback.com

So you wouldn't suggest buying a better stock bike? Ok, the reason I started this thread was because I saw how expensive a fully custom bike was going to cost so I wanted to know if there were any good stock bikes so I wouldn't have to spend so much on. Mainly because I didn't know if my F3 Haro frame was tough enough to put good parts on. So I guess my real question is: Is my F3 Haro frame good enough to put better quality parts on?
FLyBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.