Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Shins hurt like a motha che_lives90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas,San Antonio
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Chain sliding really bad

    ANy home remedies that you guys use to stop the chain from coming to lose or do I just need to buy a chani tensioner? And if that which do you recommend>

    thanks a lot
    I just jumped my first like 3 and a half jump today over a ledge!!!!
    "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you remove some of your chain links then you could run your rear wheel slammed. (running your rear wheel slammed is where the axle is all the way in the dropout so that it is touching) That should definetly help. If that doesn't do it then you might need a new chain. And I would suggest getting chain tensioners, they really help when you need to tighten or loosen your chain, and it adds a little safety too since it's two bolts holding the axle instead of one. How much would you be willing to spend on a pair of chain tensioners is my question? They can get pretty pricey for what they are. And do you run pegs?


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  3. #3
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    I would suggest getting chain tensioners, they really help when you need to tighten or loosen your chain, and it adds a little safety too since it's two bolts holding the axle instead of one.
    What the hell are you talking about? There's already two buts on the axle, not just one, and a tensioner would act as a washer of sorts, not as a nut.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    What the hell are you talking about? There's already two buts on the axle, not just one, and a tensioner would act as a washer of sorts, not as a nut.

    No, I meant that there would be two different things putting tension and holding the axle on each side. So there would be two things holding each end of the axle instead of just one nut.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  5. #5
    member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Solid AA
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, if you know how to tighten your nuts, you won't need a tensioner. Second, you only need a tensioner on the drive side; it's pretty pointless to run one on the other side.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman
    First off, if you know how to tighten your nuts, you won't need a tensioner. Second, you only need a tensioner on the drive side; it's pretty pointless to run one on the other side.

    I already know how to tighten my 'chain' (not nuts like you said) without tensioners, that's what I had to do the whole time before I got chain tensioners, it's just easier and more precise if you use them. Who knows, I might eventually take them off if I don't like them anymore. And it doesn't hurt to have one on both sides, it pulls the axle evenly. And the only reason I have one on each end of my axle is because they came in a set like that. And if you have chain tensioners on both sides then they hold the axle in place and keep the chain tight at the same time without having to tighten the axle nuts or hold the axle in place; this makes it really easy to see if your wheel is centered in the dropouts evenly. And no, you don't need chain tensioners, but I like them and he wanted to know peoples opinions, so I gave him mine.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chain tensioners are for ******s that don't know how to fix their bike or tighten nuts. Or for those **** that just buy a bunch of little accessories and **** that they don't need. my bike is simple. i hate ****ing around with it. the only thing on my bike i don't need is a pair of bar-ends, and the only reason i took them was because i was tired of getting stabbed

  8. #8
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    chain tensioners are for ******s that don't know how to fix their bike or tighten nuts. Or for those **** that just buy a bunch of little accessories and **** that they don't need. my bike is simple. i hate ****ing around with it. the only thing on my bike i don't need is a pair of bar-ends, and the only reason i took them was because i was tired of getting stabbed
    Only ******s get stabbed with their bars.

















    How'd that feel?

    For what it's worth, I ran chain tensioners when the family was racing BMX. They were actually built into my wife's cruiser. When you're maintaining 4 race bikes that are being raced 4 times a week, and tear everything down at least once a week, you do whatever you can to make your maintenance easier.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  9. #9
    Senior Member sxe fbm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Well, if you remove some of your chain links then you could run your rear wheel slammed.
    I wouldnt suggest that to someone who is having trouble keeping their chain tight in the first place because I for some reason dont see them removing their chain everytime they want to remove their wheel.


    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    chain tensioners are for ******s that don't know how to fix their bike or tighten nuts.
    A chain tensioner is a nice thing to have. I havent had one in a few years, but it always made my wheel a whole lot easier to set in place when I was doing things. You don't need them, but the "******" line is just unnecessary.

  10. #10
    Dig. KinetikBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    My Bikes
    S&M, Nishiki
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i have chain tensioners and im not a ***..and they are for lazy people that dont want to mess with there chain tension after they ride...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TWAHL
    you do whatever you can to make your maintenance easier.
    He is right, and chain tensioners can help that. (making maintenance easier)

    Quote Originally Posted by SXE FBM RIDER
    A chain tensioner is a nice thing to have. I havent had one in a few years, but it always made my wheel a whole lot easier to set in place when I was doing things. You don't need them, but the "******" line is just unnecessary.

    And this is 100% true also. I agree with you all the way, chain tensioners make setting the wheel in place a heck of a lot easier as well as tightening and loosening the chain. And yes, if you want to remove your wheel you do have to take off the chain tensioners which can be a bit of a hassle, but for how much they help I don't mind having to do that. Besides, how often do you need to take off your wheel? I sure don't have to that often.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  12. #12
    Shins hurt like a motha che_lives90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas,San Antonio
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Well, if you remove some of your chain links then you could run your rear wheel slammed. (running your rear wheel slammed is where the axle is all the way in the dropout so that it is touching) That should definetly help. If that doesn't do it then you might need a new chain. And I would suggest getting chain tensioners, they really help when you need to tighten or loosen your chain, and it adds a little safety too since it's two bolts holding the axle instead of one. How much would you be willing to spend on a pair of chain tensioners is my question? They can get pretty pricey for what they are. And do you run pegs?
    Iwill probably just run them slammed to the wall...I dont have pegs on right now but I am going to buy new DK cinciannti so i wont needs this ****y bike any more

    THanks to all who replied coldnt have asked for more from you ******s!!!!!!!!!
    "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

  13. #13
    legalize bikes
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    bucks county, PA
    My Bikes
    too damn many
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    I already know how to tighten my 'chain' (not nuts like you said)
    actually you are wrong. you TENSION your chain and TIGHTEN the nuts (just like beerman said) to hold the chains tension. and in case you havent noticed, anything beerman ever says is correct, so no need to pick apart his posts. (i still like to run 2 tensioners though)

  14. #14
    Shins hurt like a motha che_lives90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas,San Antonio
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can someone tell me how to keep the chain tensioned while i tighten it up?
    "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLyBOy
    Besides, how often do you need to take off your wheel? I sure don't have to that often.

    that's because you don't grind.


    have a friend step on your bars so your bike won't flip. pull the wheel back with one arm, and tighten with the other

  16. #16
    Shins hurt like a motha che_lives90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas,San Antonio
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    that's because you don't grind
    Why would you take it off so much if you grind?
    "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    jamaica queens nyc
    My Bikes
    standard sta-r ox mark4
    Posts
    1,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by che_lives90
    Why would you take it off so much if you grind?

    well, if you don't tighten your nuts right, your wheel can shift

  18. #18
    Senior Member sxe fbm rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by che_lives90
    can someone tell me how to keep the chain tensioned while i tighten it up?
    Put a monkey wrench handle inbetween your tire and rear triangle, like if your bike is upside down. and use it as a lever to push your wheel back while you tighten your wheel. I made a diagram.

    the red thing is the wrench and the blue arrow is the way you pull it, see how it makes your wheel go back. Physical science; is there anything better?

  19. #19
    Shins hurt like a motha che_lives90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas,San Antonio
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks man i have tried that but I was just wondering if there was any other way because when I do that my tire shifts to one side??
    "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

  20. #20
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by che_lives90
    thanks man i have tried that but I was just wondering if there was any other way because when I do that my tire shifts to one side??
    You could try chain tensioners.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  21. #21
    legalize bikes
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    bucks county, PA
    My Bikes
    too damn many
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres how you tension your chain w/out tensioners--
    start by pulling the wheel back so the chain is tight, then tighten both axle nuts. at this point you chain wont be tight enough. loosen you drive side axle nut and push the wheel towards the opposing chainstay, tighten the driveside nut. then loosen the non-drive nut to center the wheel in the frame, and retighten the non-drive nut. you may have to repeat this a couple times to get the chain tensioned where you want it. you dont have to fully tighten the nuts until you have the tension perfect, then tighten you nuts all the way, but dont tighten one side all the way then the other, tight one side a little, then tighten the other side a little, go back and forth till they are kinda tight, then really put you weight on them so prevent slipping.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twahl
    You could try chain tensioners.

    That's a good suggestion.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queensrider86
    that's because you don't grind.


    have a friend step on your bars so your bike won't flip. pull the wheel back with one arm, and tighten with the other

    That would work if you have a friend to help you. But or else you're on your own. And that is where chain tensioners can come in handy.


    No one in this world can be perfect, therefore practice makes experienced.

  24. #24
    whip my loins
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U could try a chain tensioner or lock washers(they have tiny teeth to grip to the frame.)

  25. #25
    Canon fiend MadMan2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    old peugot frankenbike
    Posts
    3,918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lock washers is a great idea. I wonder if they make any with rubber that won't ruin the paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •