Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-07, 09:10 PM   #276
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hell In A Very Small Place
pigmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 06:21 AM   #277
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Darkness That Comes Before - R. Scott Bakker
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 07:42 AM   #278
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator
 
KrisPistofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: POS Tennessee
Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy, just in time for the movie, apparently. Now I'm reading ChiWalking and a Borderlands horror anthology, as well as my old back issues of the Rivendell Reader. Ironically enough, I should be studying for finals instead.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeforums
Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.
KrisPistofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:02 PM   #279
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine
 
muccapazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers
Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You Don't Love Me Yet - Jonathan Lethem
muccapazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 08:30 PM   #280
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Finished listening to Kingdom of Shadows; started Blood of Victory today; both by Alan Furst.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 02:35 PM   #281
Lauraspark
Flatlander
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Three Junes--Julia Glass
Lauraspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 06:00 PM   #282
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Finished listening to Kingdom of Shadows; started Blood of Victory today; both by Alan Furst.
Finished listening to Blood of Victory and am listening to Dark Voyage by Alan Furst.

Finished reading two more Lawrence Block books this week, Mathew Scudder novels, Time to Murder and Create and A Dance at the Slaughterhouse. And will probably finish this weekend A Walk Among the Tombstones, also by Lawrence Block.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 06:48 PM   #283
Oleanshoebox
fart knocker
 
Oleanshoebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: laying back in the cut
Bikes: Red silver blue, doodie caca poo.
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zinn (mtb)

eldest(3rd time)
__________________
Oleanshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 10:07 AM   #284
neilfein
Senior Member
 
neilfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Highland Park, NJ, USA
Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Gene Wolfe, Calde of the Long Sun.
__________________
Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

My bands:
Uke On! - ukulele duo - Youtube channel

Ukulele Abyss - ukulele cover videos - Youtube channel

My celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry's full-length studio album "Mended", available for download.

Artistic Differences - 8-track EP "Dreams of Bile and Blood" now available for download.
neilfein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 11:05 AM   #285
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finished Heft on Wheels. Not the greatest book ever, but a great message to someone like me. I can relate to the struggle, if not the drinking.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 12:00 PM   #286
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Finished listening to Blood of Victory and am listening to Dark Voyage by Alan Furst.

Finished reading two more Lawrence Block books this week, Mathew Scudder novels, Time to Murder and Create and A Dance at the Slaughterhouse. And will probably finish this weekend A Walk Among the Tombstones, also by Lawrence Block.
Finished listening to Dark Voyage and am listening to Nothing Like It in the World - The Story of the Building of the Transcontinental Railroad by Stephan Ambrose.

Finished reading this week A Walk Among the Tombstones as well as The Devil Knows You're Dead by Lawrence Block.

Will start reading later today A Ticket to the Boneyard by Lawrence Block.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 01:42 PM   #287
g0tink87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: new york
Bikes: gary fischer advance, 2003 Kawasaki Meanstreak
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1/2 way through "Scar Tissue" Anthony keidas, lead singer of Red hot chili peppers.
g0tink87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 07:39 PM   #288
cutman
Senior Member
 
cutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing double duty on books for the last couple months. Here's what I'm currently reading:

The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel by Stephen Leeb and Glen Strathy

and

Big-Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega-Retailers and the Fight for America's Independent Businesses by Stacy Mitchell
cutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 02:41 PM   #289
mlh122
Senior Member
 
mlh122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW
Bikes: Trek 4500
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Upstairs bathroom: Tom Clancy: Net Force
Downstairs bathroom: Stephen King : Dark Tower : Waste lands
3rd bathroom : Mountain Bike! - a humorous hand drawn / written technique manual.
Help-to-sleep : Zinns MTB manual.
Whenever: Any above as well as: Mitigating Circumstances, Incredible Universe (superstring theory), CCNA recertification (need to put more hours in this one).

I also like to take my library of cookbooks, pick recipes i want to make, write out a shopping list on a post-it note and stick it to that page of the book. Then when I feel like cooking anything, i go to one of the books and grab the shopping list and go get the items that i need and get cookin.

I have a bunch of guitar tab books if playing out of those counts as reading.

Oh and i like to print and read parts of my huge library of ebooks ranging from cooking to horror to sci fi to self help to Army Ranger hand-to-hand combat to dog training etc....
mlh122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 09:49 PM   #290
WannaGetGood
Commited Suicide
 
WannaGetGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Abbotsford.BC
Bikes: 2001 Kona Stuff & 2004 Rocky Mountain Switch SL
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Already Dead - Silverstein
WannaGetGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 07:33 PM   #291
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Penny Arcade.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 07:54 PM   #292
freemti
Senior Member
 
freemti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Bikes: Trek 7.6 FX
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Utopia in Power - History of the Soviet Union 1917 to Present
Asimov's Guide to the Bible
freemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 08:18 AM   #293
RC_spinner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Royse City
Bikes: 90's Fuji, bought off ebay, Trek 1500
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had Tom Clancy's Executive Orders (Hardcover) since it came out and cant seem to ever finish it, then I have to go back and re-read parts to get back into it.

It's raining this weekend though. I think I will give it another read.
RC_spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 01:08 PM   #294
FlatTop
holyrollin'
 
FlatTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Finished listening to Dark Voyage and am listening to Nothing Like It in the World - The Story of the Building of the Transcontinental Railroad by Stephan Ambrose.

Finished reading this week A Walk Among the Tombstones as well as The Devil Knows You're Dead by Lawrence Block.

Will start reading later today A Ticket to the Boneyard by Lawrence Block.
Of all the Matthew Scudder books by LB I got the most from When the Sacred Ginmill Closes. I guess that one was the first in the series. I think Out On the Cutting Edge is the one that scared the crap out of me. Block is very readable and entertaining, I got into his stuff by reading the Bernie Rhodenbarr series (The Burglar Who ___ ___ ___); very lightweight but a fun diversion.

I'll be starting Small Town next.
FlatTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 07:00 AM   #295
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatTop
Of all the Matthew Scudder books by LB I got the most from When the Sacred Ginmill Closes. I guess that one was the first in the series. I think Out On the Cutting Edge is the one that scared the crap out of me. Block is very readable and entertaining, I got into his stuff by reading the Bernie Rhodenbarr series (The Burglar Who ___ ___ ___); very lightweight but a fun diversion.

I'll be starting Small Town next.
I also very much enjoyed the Sacred Ginmill book. But I like 'em all . And thankfully Lawrence Block is a prolific, as well as talented writer.

I recently finished reading A Ticket To The Boneyard, In The Midst Of Death, and Long Line of Dead Men, by Lawrence Block.

Also recently finished listening to Up in Honey's Room by Elmore Leonard; Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and Call for the Dead by John Le Carré; and for a non-fiction change of pace Dark Genius of Wall Street: The Misunderstood Life of Jay Gould, King of the Robber Barons by Edward Renehan.
Currently reading Even the Wicked by Lawrence Block and am listening to Transgressions a collection of 10 crime novellas, edited by Ed McBain. Note: it includes a Keller, the Hit Man short story by Lawrence Block.

For your info, a list of the Matthew Scudder series in order:

1 THE SINS OF THE FATHERS. First in the series.
2 TIME TO MURDER AND CREATE. The second book, although it was actually published after In the Midst of Death
3 IN THE MIDST OF DEATH.
4 A STAB IN THE DARK.
5 EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE.
6 WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES.
7 OUT ON THE CUTTING EDGE.
8 A TICKET TO THE BONEYARD.
9 A DANCE AT THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE.
10 A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES.
11 THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD.
12 A LONG LINE OF DEAD MEN.
13 EVEN THE WICKED.
14 EVERYBODY DIES.
15 HOPE TO DIE.
16 ALL THE FLOWERS ARE DYING.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-17-07 at 07:14 AM.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 07:27 AM   #296
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 02:36 PM   #297
mirage1
Bossy Bunny
 
mirage1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
How are you liking it? I loved Cryptonomicon, have read it more than once, but for some reason I got bogged down in Quicksilver and didn't get more than a 1/3 of the way through. Maybe I should pick it up again.

I'm reading Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson. It's a book about an old preacher in a small town in Illinois, in ill health, writing a letter to his six-year-old son about his life and life in general. It's a beautiful book.
__________________
Margie

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.
mirage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 04:51 PM   #298
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Good Shepard.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 06:36 AM   #299
peterbarson
hobby-ist
 
peterbarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago, Suburbs
Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Schwinn LeTour, Jamis Crosscountry, Litespeed Saber,
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I also very much enjoyed the Sacred Ginmill book. But I like 'em all . And thankfully Lawrence Block is a prolific, as well as talented writer.

I recently finished reading A Ticket To The Boneyard, In The Midst Of Death, and Long Line of Dead Men, by Lawrence Block.

Also recently finished listening to Up in Honey's Room by Elmore Leonard; Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and Call for the Dead by John Le Carré; and for a non-fiction change of pace Dark Genius of Wall Street: The Misunderstood Life of Jay Gould, King of the Robber Barons by Edward Renehan.
Currently reading Even the Wicked by Lawrence Block and am listening to Transgressions a collection of 10 crime novellas, edited by Ed McBain. Note: it includes a Keller, the Hit Man short story by Lawrence Block.

For your info, a list of the Matthew Scudder series in order:

1 THE SINS OF THE FATHERS. First in the series.
2 TIME TO MURDER AND CREATE. The second book, although it was actually published after In the Midst of Death
3 IN THE MIDST OF DEATH.
4 A STAB IN THE DARK.
5 EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE.
6 WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES.
7 OUT ON THE CUTTING EDGE.
8 A TICKET TO THE BONEYARD.
9 A DANCE AT THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE.
10 A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES.
11 THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD.
12 A LONG LINE OF DEAD MEN.
13 EVEN THE WICKED.
14 EVERYBODY DIES.
15 HOPE TO DIE.
16 ALL THE FLOWERS ARE DYING.
I love me some L. Block, his books are very entertaining, and they were a good introduction to so many of the other fun to read "Pulp Fiction" novels. Ed McBain, ect.ect.
peterbarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 10:28 AM   #300
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Finished listening to Transgressions a collection of 10 crime novellas, edited by Ed McBain as well the Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart by Lawrence Bock, and am currently listening to Burglars Can't Be Choosers, also by LB. Still reading Even the Wicked by Lawrence Block but plan to finish it early this week because the library just came through for me and purchased and loaned me the three Elmore Leonard non western books I hadn't already read or listened to. I've got three weeks to read Cat Chasers, 52 Pickup and Unknown Man No. 89 before I have to return them. Means less time for BF BSing - a good thing.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-25-07 at 12:35 PM.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.