Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment (http://www.bikeforums.net/books-movies-music-entertainment/)
-   -   What are you reading right now? (http://www.bikeforums.net/books-movies-music-entertainment/144819-what-you-reading-right-now.html)

mlh122 08-23-07 12:00 PM

Stephen King: "The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass"

Brian "Head" Welch: "Save Me From Myself"

v1k1ng1001 08-24-07 09:43 PM

http://biblion.co.uk/litweb/biogs/bi...orge_luis2.jpg

http://www.wtsbooks.com/images/0192833723m.jpg

Warden11 08-24-07 10:24 PM

just finished The Alchemist

started Warrior of the Light

I think that will be a daily read. Just read a page a day so I can process the message.

JoeS 08-26-07 10:28 AM

Just finished Journey to the End of the Night. Amazing.

Now reading, On the Road.

v1k1ng1001 08-26-07 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeS (Post 5147460)
Just finished Journey to the End of the Night. Amazing.

Now reading, On the Road.

I always thought On the Road was overrated. Let me know what you think.

lotek 08-27-07 10:06 AM

also just finished "the Alchemist" enjoyable book.

Finished Gibson's Spook Country and
No Safe Harbour (forget the author).

currently reading a collection of Richard Brautigan
Trout Fishing in America, The Pill vs The Springhill mine Disaster, and In Watermelon Sugar.
can you say take me back to the late 60's and college?

Marty

henrymiller 08-28-07 11:35 AM

Just started the Divine Comedy. One of the hardest books I have ever tried to read. So much to process, I have to stop after 30 to 40 pages. Thinking that I made a mistake going with the unabridged version.

KingTermite 08-29-07 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrymiller (Post 5161206)
Just started the Divine Comedy. One of the hardest books I have ever tried to read. So much to process, I have to stop after 30 to 40 pages. Thinking that I made a mistake going with the unabridged version.

Irony...I just started it a week ago and after a few pages decided I needed a more interpreted version. I read "Inferno" about 10 years ago in a book that had an interpreted version of every canto. It was much better.

This version was translated by some famous poet (forget who it was right this moment), but I noticed it still rhymes well, which tells me it surely wasn't a "good" translation when it rhymes in english.






Anyway...I just read "Catcher in the Rye". I've been hearing about this book since I was a kid and liked the fascination of the killers who had connections with the book. My verdict....I was much less impressed than I thought I'd be. It was "OK", but had some pretty bad flaws. The main characters vernacular was all "tough guy" which came across well, but it really needed to let up once in a while because nobody talks like that 24/7. It made it seem a bit childish to me.

CyLowe97 08-29-07 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 5170125)
Anyway...I just read "Catcher in the Rye". I've been hearing about this book since I was a kid and liked the fascination of the killers who had connections with the book. My verdict....I was much less impressed than I thought I'd be. It was "OK", but had some pretty bad flaws. The main characters vernacular was all "tough guy" which came across well, but it really needed to let up once in a while because nobody talks like that 24/7. It made it seem a bit childish to me.

When I read Catcher around the age of 15, it was an amazing experience.

It was alright on a re-read at 18.

It was not as good at 25.

At 30, it bored me silly.

I think once someone is beyond being an emo/isolated teen, Catcher starts to lose its appeal. YMMV

JoeS 08-29-07 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 (Post 5148136)
I always thought On the Road was overrated. Let me know what you think.

I'm only about halfway through but I agree with you right now. Everyone told me it was so great and I'd love it. I think it's alright but not great. I still have 120 pages to go though.

v1k1ng1001 08-29-07 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyLowe97 (Post 5170198)
I think once someone is beyond being an emo/isolated teen, Catcher starts to lose its appeal. YMMV

Yeah. The only other Salinger I've read is Franny and Zooey which is quite a bit more intense. There is still some teen angst, but it is embedded within a larger discussion of russian mysticism. Sounds terrible but I liked it much better.

v1k1ng1001 08-29-07 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeS (Post 5170362)
I'm only about halfway through but I agree with you right now. Everyone told me it was so great and I'd love it. I think it's alright but not great. I still have 120 pages to go though.

I think of it like "Rebel Without a Cause." That was a scandalous movie in its day, but today it just seems kind of silly.

In its defense, "On the Road" probably contributed to making our culture what it is today. In other words, we might not be as impressed by it because we live on the other side of a cultural transition that it facilitated. For example, we might read Emerson's essay "Nature" and think, "what is the big deal?" The fact is that Emerson's bequest dominated American literature for 100 years. But we have difficult time making sense of its role in transforming American consciousness because it is natural for us to think in Emersonian terms.

caloso 08-29-07 05:17 PM

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals


cyclezealot 08-29-07 05:18 PM

Armed Madhouse, by Gregg Palast

KingTermite 08-29-07 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyLowe97 (Post 5170198)
When I read Catcher around the age of 15, it was an amazing experience.

It was alright on a re-read at 18.

It was not as good at 25.

At 30, it bored me silly.

I think once someone is beyond being an emo/isolated teen, Catcher starts to lose its appeal. YMMV

I'll be 37 next month....so I think I'm long past the prime read time for it.

neilfein 08-30-07 06:57 AM

Recently read:

Over the Hills, David Lamb
A Crack on the Edge of the World, by Simon Winchester
The Ministry of Special Cases, Nathan Englander
Polaris, Jack McDevitt

...aaand reading right now:
Korea, Simon Winchester
A Talent for War, Jack McDevitt

I-Like-To-Bike 08-30-07 12:22 PM

Recently finished Last Car To Elysian Fields and Crusader's Cross by James Lee Burke. Started Pegasus Descending also by James Lee Burke.

v1k1ng1001 08-30-07 01:19 PM

I started listening to Bill Bryson's A Walk In the Woods while I grade. It's a comical book about his trip up the Appalachian Trail with another out of shape, middle-aged guy.

http://www.thisisthelast.com/wp-content/bryson2.jpg

Second Mouse 08-31-07 11:33 AM

Are you liking the Bryson book, v1k1ng1001? He makes me snort.

I'm reading The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Hoping it'll all come together at the end.

A Confederacy of Dunces--what did anyone think of it? Everybody raves about it, but I thought it was over the top. I was really trying to get behind Ignatius's character, but he kept making me cringe, and even though that kind of farce has a lot of appeal, this one just didn't click. Did it for you?

TomRides 08-31-07 03:04 PM

If you've not read it..pick up The Memory of Running by Ron? McLarty..I believe. Really a good read with some bike stuff in there too!

v1k1ng1001 08-31-07 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Second Mouse (Post 5184268)
Are you liking the Bryson book, v1k1ng1001? He makes me snort.

Yeah, it's the perfect thing to have on while you're fixing your bike, washing the dishes or whatever. I'm going to get some more of his audiobooks. They'd be perfect for the trainer this winter. I also enjoy the audio lectures the teaching company puts out.

midschool22 09-03-07 12:15 AM

Started this today and finished it about five hours later. The sad thing is it has been on my bookshelf for ten months.:o

http://www.daveramsey.com/shop/image...visited_lg.jpg

grey poupon 09-03-07 12:57 PM

finished--the magnificient ambersons, booth tarkington

reading now--plot against america, philip roth


queued up--the name of the rose, umberto eco

queued up--middlesex, jeffrey eugenides

Namenda 09-03-07 08:31 PM

Terry Brooks--Armageddon's Children...I've been reading his Shannara books since I was 11 years old, and will continue to read them until he stops writing them. Just a great storyteller.

JoeS 09-07-07 10:45 AM

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.