Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment (http://www.bikeforums.net/books-movies-music-entertainment/)
-   -   What are you reading right now? (http://www.bikeforums.net/books-movies-music-entertainment/144819-what-you-reading-right-now.html)

skitbraviking 12-21-05 02:42 PM

Put down Bleak House. It's too ****ing big to be reading while I'm grading essays and reading a head into my teaching schedule.

Picked up Shalimar the Clown, the newest by Rushdie, a great one—quick read—thus far; and also The Bean Trees because I have to teach it, yet it's better than anticipated.

hank2230 12-21-05 03:23 PM

Just finished reading "Cold Beer and Crocodiles" author Roff Smith, great book, a guy rides all the way around Australia (10,000) miles. Just going to start "french revolutions" by Tim Moore, it is about cycling the tour de france. Hope its as good.

peterbarson 12-21-05 09:41 PM

The Cold Six Thousand by James Elroy, I might actually put it down, I am fantasticly un impressed.

msviolin57 12-21-05 10:49 PM

Assassination Vacation, by Sarah Vowell. It's very interesting (about three presidential assassinations and her fascination with historical sites), and she's a great, funny writer. I'd highly recommend it.

classic1 12-22-05 06:03 AM

Koba the Dread - Martin Amis

There is nothing better than reading about Stalin killing 20,000,000 people to get you into the spirit of Christmas

eofelis 01-12-06 02:30 PM

I'm rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy series. I got the big book with all the books in it. It's been a few years since I've read it. I saw the movies and wasn't impressed by it though.

Brillig 01-12-06 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eofelis
I'm rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy series. I got the big book with all the books in it. It's been a few years since I've read it. I saw the movies and wasn't impressed by it though.

Have you read the Dirk Gently series yet? In many ways it's even better.

Cromulent 01-12-06 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillig
Have you read the Dirk Gently series yet? In many ways it's even better.

"The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" is quite possibly his best book.

Ian Rankin - "A Question of Blood".

Brillig 01-12-06 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjkresse
"The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" is quite possibly his best book.

It contains the single greatest slapstick scene ever described in written word, imho.

sngltrackdufus 01-27-06 06:13 PM

Right NOW , the computer screen :)

peterbarson 01-27-06 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillig
It contains the single greatest slapstick scene ever described in written word, imho.

i just finished this book. which scene are you refering to. when the kid brakes his nose. the broken speach kept me laughing for a while.

peterbarson 01-27-06 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donhaller
Biking Related - I just finished Mike Magnuson's Heft on Wheels. I found it to be a interesting and fast read that kept me in the pages. I liked it because I could relate to his story quite well. I just started 23 Days in July about Lance's sixth Tour win in 2004. So far so good.

I read a lot of non-fiction to learn a lot about nothin'. I am a serious participant in anything I do. I will get every book and magazine under the sun and read every word until I have a good damn knowledge of the activity. I have done years of shooting sports, then photogography and now I'm back to biking again. Who knows what will be next time. :eek:

Take Care

I kind of enjoyed Heft on wheels. thanks for the recomendation

Brillig 02-01-06 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterbarson
i just finished this book. which scene are you refering to. when the kid brakes his nose. the broken speach kept me laughing for a while.

The part relatively early on in the book where Reg tells Richard, before he goes upstairs, to tackle him if anything seems strange when he comes back down.

Both times I read the book I cried laughing.

dooley 02-01-06 07:01 PM

I thought the cold six thousand was good, have you read his previous stuff?

Just finished DC Confidential by Christopher Meyer.

wrench_meister 02-01-06 11:17 PM

Right now I am making my way through three books:

-The Pilgrim's Progress by Paul Bunyan

-Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

-Hard Times by Charles Dickens

I also just finished reading Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. An incredible read. I loved it so much that at the end I wept; and when my girlfriend asked me why I was crying it was couple of hours before I could tell her. I was a babbling idiot over that book. I have never read a novel that has touched me as much as Daniel Deronda did.

I-Like-To-Bike 02-04-06 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooley
I thought the cold six thousand was good, have you read his previous stuff?

Just finished last week Black Dahlia; almost as good as LA Confidential and better than White Jazz by James Ellroy. Though Cpt. Dudley Smith's patter was great in White Jazz. I'll finish Elmore Leonard's Gizmo on a flight to San Antonio Monday and plan to get back to James Ellroy and finish Tabloid on the trip back Friday.

peterbarson 02-05-06 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooley
I thought the cold six thousand was good, have you read his previous stuff?

Just finished DC Confidential by Christopher Meyer.

no. I like the genre just couldn't stomach the style

msviolin57 02-05-06 10:50 AM

I just finished Stiff, by Mary Roach. It's nonfiction, and all about cadavers. It sounds gruesome, but it's very interesting, and she's a great writer.

misteralz 02-10-06 05:55 AM

Currently reading Apocalypso by Robert Rankin - if you liked Douglas Adams then you'll love Robert Rankin. The Brentford Trilogy (seven books) is/are excellent!
Not long finished every book by Christopher Brookmyre too - read "The Sacred Art Of Stealing" before you die! It's amazingly structured and just a fantastic read!

cycle17 02-10-06 02:28 PM

Just started the Celestine Prophecies...

CMcMahon 02-10-06 02:41 PM

I'm currently reading Northern Telecon Meridian Mail Voice Messaging User Guide.

Brillig 02-10-06 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerman
I'm currently reading Northern Telecon Meridian Mail Voice Messaging User Guide.

Don't tell me how it ends.

I-Like-To-Bike 02-12-06 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just finished last week Black Dahlia; almost as good as LA Confidential and better than White Jazz by James Ellroy. Though Cpt. Dudley Smith's patter was great in White Jazz. I'll finish Elmore Leonard's Gizmo on a flight to San Antonio Monday and plan to get back to James Ellroy and finish Tabloid on the trip back Friday.

Just finished Tabloid today. Great book. J. Edgar Hoover reminded me of Dudley Smith.

Will start the Cold Six Thousand tonight.

The Seldom Kill 02-13-06 08:31 AM

Currently reading "All Fun & Games Until Someone Loses an Eye" by Christopher Brookmyre. As stated above this author is very good.
Also working my way through "Safe Area Gorazde" by Joe Sacco.

Anyone else read Sacco?

KrisPistofferson 02-13-06 08:36 AM

"How the Irish Saved Civilization." -Thomas Cahill. Good book.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 PM.