Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment (http://www.bikeforums.net/books-movies-music-entertainment/)
-   -   Netflix Suggestions (http://www.bikeforums.net/books-movies-music-entertainment/859843-netflix-suggestions.html)

BenzFanatic 11-28-12 04:56 AM

Netflix Suggestions
 
I think this should be a sticky, though I'm pretty sure the topic has been done before...but maybe in Foo. Anyways, post up your netflix suggestions here. Feel free to say why you think people would like it, or what type of tastes it applies to, a short synopsis, etc etc.

I would post some suggestions, but once I got started I would probably never stop... I've always been a movie buff and I'm unemployed so I've pretty much seen the majority of things on there.

bigbossman 11-28-12 03:30 PM

Streaming or regular delivery?

Streaming - Headhunters (Norwegian) is a good one to start off with.

It's about a corporate headhunter that augments his income by heisting artwork. He makes the mistake of choosing the wrong fellow, and the movie really takes off. Solid performances, lots of action, and a few intriguing twists and turns.

Sixty Fiver 11-28-12 03:37 PM

I have been catching up on Top Gear of late... have not had a television for five years and like to be able to pick and choose what I watch.

Terra Nova was an excellent series that was sadly, cancelled when it was enjoying great ratings... it was also an extremely expensive show to produce.

BenzFanatic 11-28-12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 14994307)
Streaming or regular delivery?

Streaming - Headhunters (Norwegian) is a good one to start off with.

It's about a corporate headhunter that augments his income by heisting artwork. He makes the mistake of choosing the wrong fellow, and the movie really takes off. Solid performances, lots of action, and a few intriguing twists and turns.


I only do the streaming... Sounds good, but is it in English or does it have subtitles? I'm kind of blind in one eye so subtitles are out for me... Gives me awful headaches. Even just watching a regular movie I have to take breaks.

bigbossman 11-28-12 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic (Post 14994334)
I only do the streaming... Sounds good, but is it in English or does it have subtitles? I'm kind of blind in one eye so subtitles are out for me... Gives me awful headaches. Even just watching a regular movie I have to take breaks.

In Norwegian, with subtitles.

Ok, then - try Diamond Men. It is streaming, and is a nice enjoyable movie. And I found There Goes The Neighborhood pretty entertaining.....

BenzFanatic 11-28-12 08:21 PM

Haha, there goes the neighborhood is classic. I will check out diamond men.

Simon Cowbell 11-29-12 12:23 PM

Headhunters was good! Thanks.

While not a great movie, I enjoyed how "Limitless" flipped the cautionary story storyline.

bigbossman 12-09-12 01:59 PM

Here's another - What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? It's a mid-60's war-time comedy, set in Sicily.

Not an Oscar winner, but lots of laughs, hi-jinks, etc....... and some pretty darn hot Italian women here and there. The cast includes James Coburn, Carroll O'Connor, Aldo Ray, Harry Morgan, and even Dick Shawn (Hitler, from The Producers).

Both my wife AND my 17 year old daughter liked it. I'm a hero. :)

Tom Stormcrowe 12-09-12 07:55 PM

Monsters is on Netflix, as is Skyline. Age of Heroes is a good Sean Bean WWII flick, too. All are on streaming side of the service, and they have a delightfully weird movie called Bunruku on that's surreal! Ron POearlman is in it as the villain.

20grit 12-10-12 12:15 PM

The Red Violin - Some really fantastic camera work at times, decent story, etc.

bigbossman 12-11-12 09:52 PM

Another good streaming movie - Wasabi. French, with subtitles.

French detective discovers he has a 20 year old daughter in Japan, from an old flame. Goes to collect her and ends up in HOT water with the Yakuza. Hilarity and bloodletting ensue, happy ending (no - not THAT kind).

Tom Stormcrowe 12-11-12 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 15040654)
Another good streaming movie - Wasabi. French, with subtitles.

French detective discovers he has a 20 year old daughter in Japan, from an old flame. Goes to collect her and ends up in HOT water with the Yakuza. Hilarity and bloodletting ensue, happy ending (no - not THAT kind).


Il est une tres bon film! J'adore tout les films des Jean Reno, et je parle francaise!

Simon Cowbell 12-25-12 10:44 AM

I'd recommend two: Sarah Polley's Take This Waltz and Trigger. First rate films, the both of them.

RaleighSport 12-25-12 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14994326)
I have been catching up on Top Gear of late... have not had a television for five years and like to be able to pick and choose what I watch.

Terra Nova was an excellent series that was sadly, cancelled when it was enjoying great ratings... it was also an extremely expensive show to produce.

:( Not even the Dino toy send in could save it!

bigbossman 01-23-13 05:21 PM

Here's a streaming vintage one that is very good - How To Steal a Million

Eli Wallach, Peter O'Toole, Audrey Hepburn. Can't go wrong, really.

bigbossman 02-09-13 01:45 PM

Another great pick on the steaming feed:

The Mark of Zorro 1920 original silent version, with Douglas Fairbanks

Just a fabulous movie from start to finish. A stripped down classsic with no CGI, no special effects, no color.....heck, no stinkin' dialogue. Just a delight to watch Zorro constantly bearing and otherwise antagonizing the bad guys until he makes thing right, saves the day, and wins the girl.

FXjohn 02-14-13 07:58 PM

Heaven's Gate.

check it out, seriously, especially the rollerskating scene

Simon Cowbell 03-01-13 12:03 AM

The Queen of Versailles ***** Unexpectedly fascinating documentary
Bag of Hammers *** (only for Rebecca Hall, really)
Safety Not Guaranteed *** (was hoping for more)
Hick *** (quirky but dark)

Oh, and Blue Valentine is exhaustingly real.

FXjohn 03-01-13 01:07 PM

the deep cut with meg ryan

Simon Cowbell 03-06-13 01:33 AM

Compliance is streaming now. Not an enjoyable movie but definitely gives you things to ponder upon.

bigbossman 03-10-13 11:43 PM

Just streamed/watched "Little Miss Marker", starring Tony Curtis, Julie Andrews, Walter Matthau, Brian Dennehey, and Bob Newhart.

A real gem.

bigbossman 03-18-13 10:00 AM

Another streamable gem - The Conversation

Let's see.... a 1974 Francis Ford Coppola film starring Gene Hackman as a wiretapper that wrestles with the results of his work. Also appearing are Harrison Ford, Terri Garr, Cindy Williams, and an uncredited Robert Duval.

squeakyschwinn 09-04-13 11:20 PM

BBC's "Sherlock".

MangoPumpkin 09-05-13 07:43 AM

Breaking bad?

erig007 09-05-13 04:13 PM

C.R.A.Z.Y 2005
(500) Days of summer 2009


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:24 PM.