Ride the Wave
I am very excited to post, for the first time, the Ride The Wave bike tour. Through great personal concern for the Planet, I have undertaken a critical mission to raise awareness of how acting locally can truly make a difference.
I hope to encourage a new exuberance for green building practices and community based action through sharing ideas, and documenting my experiences with at least fifteen small sustainable initiatives, projects, and municipalities from Calgary to Vancouver--to be a catalyst for sharing ideas and creating much needed hope for the future.
Instead of focusing on problems that are overwhelming for individuals, I want to connect with the people who are creating solutions in their lives.
Through the use of my Website, Facebook Group, newspaper articles and Radio Stations, I aim to encourage other young people to develop the same critical mission of action; to inspire them to become involved in the sustainable development of their own local communities, campuses, and municipalities.
Bike trip starts Friday, June 20th, in Calgary and will end August 24th on Vancouver Island.
Visits are to sustainable initiatives in the following areas with flexible dates.
1. June 20th to beginning of July: Canmore, Invermere, Canal Flats, Kimberly, Nelson and Area
2. One to two week bike trip to Vancouver area: Caslegar, Rossland, Princeton
3. July in Vancouver area: Yarrow, Chilliwack, Langley, Burnaby, North Vancouver
4. August on Vancouver Island - Courtney, Nanimo, Shawnigan Lake, Victoria
5. August 24th – leave Vancouver by bus back to Calgary.
Fundraising Goal of $5,000 – Myself for seventy days, and my project partner for one month
• $2,000 - Food
• $1,000 - Necessary accommodation – tenting and hostelling
• $1,000 - Bike equipment and gear
• $500 - Transportation: ferries and bus return
• $300 - Website design
• $200 - Technology: camera memory cards, batteries, solar battery charger.
Sponsorship to date: Personal and financial sponsorship from: Stoneset Equities Ltd, and Alberta Government Liberal Environmental critic, Dr. David Swann.
My project partner and myself are still looking for all types of gear: Panniers, tri-bars, spare slick tires, helmet, gloves, rain jackets, tents, sleeping bags, bike clothing- so if you have anything to offer it will be much appreciated.
If you are interested in sponsoring Ride the Wave, or any other suggestions please send me a message through Bike Forums or my email address: email@example.com
I look forward to hearing from you!