Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-09, 05:03 PM   #101
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
A little more clarity, a tighter chain, and a set of apehangers and you're ready to go. I see the urban feel that you are looking for.

This one ended up a beer runner in Davis, CA
curbtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 05:06 PM   #102
kingfish254 
Senior Member
 
kingfish254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
A little more clarity, a tighter chain, and a set of apehangers and you're ready to go. I see the urban feel that you are looking for.
That was a cool one. Investment = $22 (Bike= $6, seat= $6, paint,grips, decals = $10)

SOLD BIKE = $140

I did have to tighten the chain after this photo. Also this is CL photos, so the size and clarity are pretty low.

Another thing I have started doing is include a pair of guppy lights for free. The LBS charges $30, but you can get them on the bay for $2/pair including shipping from Hong Kong. Just another way to sweeten and close the deal.
__________________
May the Fold be with you

48 Rudge Whitworth Sports - 59 Schwinn Panther II - 68 26" Columbia Roadster - 79 Schwinn Spitfire 5
68 16" Graziella Tandem Folder - 73 Raleigh Twenty Folder - 89 16" Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 05 20" Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder - Dahon Mu XL Sport
- plus various bikes to flip

Last edited by kingfish254; 09-21-09 at 05:09 PM.
kingfish254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 05:18 PM   #103
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Go with larger pictures in your postings. I use photobucket. By the way, I have a 78' Spitfire 5 set up with a messenger rack.

Last edited by curbtender; 09-21-09 at 05:26 PM.
curbtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 06:18 PM   #104
titanpersaeus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a question .. for someone that has not alot of experience with bikes, but decent skill in putting things together .. would it be a good idea to try and rebuild bikes and do stuff by yourself with instruction?


and also whats a good paint to use if you wanted to strip a bike? and how should i go about doing that? as in do you need to prime or anything like that thanks
titanpersaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 07:23 PM   #105
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish254 View Post
No offense taken. I do usually try to have at least one photo with a solid backdrop, but I have had some buyers comment about the photos, so I assumed I was on the right track. I do agree that if the background is too busy, the bike gets lost.
Artsy photos have their place but for selling on CL or Ebay a nive solid back drop with nothing 'interfering' with the bike is best.

All my pics are basicly the same. The 2 Colnago and Tomassini pics will give you an idea of how an odd background takes away from the bike itself:











__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 07:31 PM   #106
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanpersaeus View Post
i have a question .. for someone that has not alot of experience with bikes, but decent skill in putting things together .. would it be a good idea to try and rebuild bikes and do stuff by yourself with instruction?


and also whats a good paint to use if you wanted to strip a bike? and how should i go about doing that? as in do you need to prime or anything like that thanks
Rule #57387: Try to buy bikes that need a minimal amount of work.
Rule #45689: Rust is bad. Very bad.

If you have decent mechanical skills start with something thats in good shape with shiney paint and no rust. A bike like that will need a basic tune-up and a good polishing. Try a few bikes like that first and work your way up. The last thing you want to do is to buy a bike that needs more parts and labor than you were anticipating.

As far as paint goes try a name brand enamal.
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 08:31 PM   #107
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Favorite backgound. Early AM shot, no shadows.
curbtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 07:47 AM   #108
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Favorite backgound. Early AM shot, no shadows.


I try to take mine at high noon. I'll ride around the apartment complex until I find a garage door in the proper lighting.
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 08:16 AM   #109
adventurer90
Seasoned Rider/Wrench
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Base of the Sierras
Bikes: 2004 Colnago C40, 2005 Epic, 1980 Schwinn Paramount
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flipping as a business and who does it

I've seen several notes about the karma of flipping as if it's good, bad, a sin...bottom line, there are only a few out there that have the skills to do the necessary work on a bike to make it flippable (not withstanding those out there that hunt for bargains and resell intact). I do the opposite: I buy decent, generally higher end bikes right, break them down and resell the components. I do okay--enough to feed my habit of nice bikes. When I buy a bike I tell the seller up front what I do--sometimes even sharing the spreadsheet I put together ahead of time with the estimate of what I can sell the parts for. And I tell the seller they are welcome to do the same. But most, well, all of the sellers, don't have the skills or time or place or desire to do it. And the buyers of the parts I sell seem delighted to get good parts cleaned, brought back to original specs. I believe I am a functional part of the landscape.
adventurer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 09:06 AM   #110
mercutiojb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
A good example of a CL heading: "Vintage ladies bike, suits a rider 5'3-5'9, pink, bell, fenders, basket"
Can anyone give me a link to some kind of sizing guide? Or rule of thumb?

I wouldn't call myself a flipper, but I seem to be collecting 70's & 80's Schwinn road bikes at an alarming rate. I wouldn't mind unloading a few!
mercutiojb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:38 AM   #111
mercutiojb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
I have to amend my no MTB stand on flipping. There are just so many of them out there, that is what you will find at thrift stores and garage sales. If you buy right, you can maintain a decent ($100) margin on them. But you really have to buy right, as the nice ones tend to sell in the $125 to $150 price range (so do that math). I have flipped several Trek and Specialized MTBs this year.
I admit, I know nothing about any of this, but I see cheap Specialized MTB's everywhere. Many of them are in mint condition, as it seems people buy them but never ride them (or only ride them down the street and back)
mercutiojb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:39 AM   #112
mercutiojb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
I have to amend my no MTB stand on flipping. There are just so many of them out there, that is what you will find at thrift stores and garage sales. If you buy right, you can maintain a decent ($100) margin on them. But you really have to buy right, as the nice ones tend to sell in the $125 to $150 price range (so do that math). I have flipped several Trek and Specialized MTBs this year.
Also, what's your view on hybrids?
mercutiojb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 09:38 PM   #113
krems81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes: Vintage Miele
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutiojb View Post
I admit, I know nothing about any of this, but I see cheap Specialized MTB's everywhere. Many of them are in mint condition, as it seems people buy them but never ride them (or only ride them down the street and back)
Probably because of the tires more than anything else. Put on some slicks and they'll be tooling around town. Humans are simple creatures.
krems81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 08:41 AM   #114
illenvillain
RuffRyda
 
illenvillain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes: Colnago Dream Pista
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i bought a trials bike (which is a mountain bike with bmx geometry) for 250 and after i beat the hell out of it for 2 days i sold it for 370
illenvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 09:53 AM   #115
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutiojb View Post
Also, what's your view on hybrids?

Money pits...possibly worse than mtb's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by illenvillain View Post
i bought a trials bike (which is a mountain bike with bmx geometry) for 250 and after i beat the hell out of it for 2 days i sold it for 370
Thats the way to do it!!!
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 09:56 AM   #116
jtgotsjets
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krems81 View Post
Probably because of the tires more than anything else. Put on some slicks and they'll be tooling around town. Humans are simple creatures.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that most people aren't going to ride their bike no matter what.
jtgotsjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 05:27 PM   #117
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and say that most people aren't going to ride their bike no matter what.
I'd have to agree. If you didn't grow up riding, then biking is just another exercise machine. But still, the hybrids are going to sell because people want to be comfortable when they ride. Even if it's only one time around the block.
curbtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 04:02 PM   #118
EjustE
sultan of schwinn
 
EjustE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutiojb View Post
Also, what's your view on hybrids?

A decent hybrid (i.e. 80s, early 90s double-butter steel or better) can make a decent cross bike and be marketed as such. Cross bikes are in high demand.
EjustE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 07:35 PM   #119
tmh657
Senior Member
 
tmh657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Bikes: A few BSO's.
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I wasn't sure where to ask but this seems like the right place. I couldn't find this answered anywhere so...
I have a bike to flip, mid 80's and mid level. It has the original foam grip on the bars in like new condition and no bar hoods.
Can the foam stay or does it have to go in favor or some new bar tape?
Will the average buyer just looking for a bike in good shape to ride around campus, etc. really care?

I have always replaced the foam before but it was never useable.
This picture is for reference only, grabbed of the web.
tmh657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 08:38 PM   #120
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh657 View Post
I wasn't sure where to ask but this seems like the right place. I couldn't find this answered anywhere so...
I have a bike to flip, mid 80's and mid level. It has the original foam grip on the bars in like new condition and no bar hoods.
Can the foam stay or does it have to go in favor or some new bar tape?
Will the average buyer just looking for a bike in good shape to ride around campus, etc. really care?

I have always replaced the foam before but it was never useable.
This picture is for reference only, grabbed of the web.

The key to any successfull flip is to maximize profit. Do NOT replace anything that doesnt need replacing. If the foam grips are in good condition leave them alone. Buyers of casual bikes like foam grips.
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 09:03 PM   #121
retyred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
The key to any successfull flip is to maximize profit. Do NOT replace anything that doesnt need replacing. If the foam grips are in good condition leave them alone. Buyers of casual bikes like foam grips.
+1
retyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:22 AM   #122
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Is there any downside to the COD method of payment? I have been contacted about a bike and the buyer wants it shipped but can only pay cash, am I setting myself up to be scammed? What about as a buyer in the COD transaction, could I get scammed by a seller? Thanks.
jet sanchEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 11:42 AM   #123
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Is there any downside to the COD method of payment? I have been contacted about a bike and the buyer wants it shipped but can only pay cash, am I setting myself up to be scammed? What about as a buyer in the COD transaction, could I get scammed by a seller? Thanks.
Payment in full and cleared before delivery. I'll take any form of payment but its always cashed if its a check, or transfered out of my Paypal account before delivery.
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 05:21 PM   #124
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Yes, good thinking.

What about as a buyer? I have never received a COD package, I would assume that I just make sure everything inside is as it should be and then hand over the cash?
jet sanchEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 12:25 PM   #125
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Yes, good thinking.

What about as a buyer? I have never received a COD package, I would assume that I just make sure everything inside is as it should be and then hand over the cash?
Yep. Which can be hard if it's a bike and packaged correctly. The delivery guy will be standing there with his truck idling, not a great time for an inspection of all the parts inside the box. They usually will take a check or CC as well.
Iowegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.