Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    more value-1994 campy record or 1985 super record????

    Here is the deal. thinking of selling my big della santa frame& fork only. it came with 8 speed campy record(brifters) believe its 1994 since the crank is stamped 94. i was thinking of possible putting that group on my other della santa which now has super record on it and selling the super record group as i could use a little money to put back in by bike account.
    both groups are-imo-equal as far as rideability. which one would bring a better price? i believe the 8 speed group is harder to find but super record is super record after all. i already have one super record group saved up for my de rosa when i get the time to switch it out for the dura ace 7400 that came with it. any help always appreciated. joe

  2. #2
    Gone World Hepster 23skidoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm no help on the Campy stuff Joe--it seems like SR is all over the map in eBay auctions--but I'd be interested in taking some of that DA 7400 off your hands when you get around to removing it.
    77 Trek TX300--78 Trek TX-300--79 Trek 510--83 Trek 520--83 Nickel Plated Trek 400--86 Trek Elance 400--75 Gitane Interclub--73 Viscount 'Death Fork SS--76 Viscount Aerospace Pro--80's Diamant Verbinnen--80's Basso--90's Montagner SS--84 SR Explorer MTB

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,386
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe englert View Post
    Here is the deal. thinking of selling my big della santa frame& fork only. it came with 8 speed campy record(brifters) believe its 1994 since the crank is stamped 94. i was thinking of possible putting that group on my other della santa which now has super record on it and selling the super record group as i could use a little money to put back in by bike account.
    both groups are-imo-equal as far as rideability. which one would bring a better price? i believe the 8 speed group is harder to find but super record is super record after all. i already have one super record group saved up for my de rosa when i get the time to switch it out for the dura ace 7400 that came with it. any help always appreciated. joe
    I would sell both groups and get the current campy stuff. Regarding 7400 to SR, would that not be a performance and quality decline?

  4. #4
    sultan of schwinn EjustE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    3,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 8-sp record shifts better Keep it and sell the SR. It's probably a wash (+/- 10%) on the value, but you will enjoy riding a bike with Record more. Ditto about riding 74xx DA over SR.
    -E

    still stuck in the '80s; '70s were good as well, but i severely dislike tubulars.
    I tri...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing about the 8-speed stuff, I'm not sure it's that easy to repair and maintain. That said, I think that group has some upside, if it's well cared for. Right at the tipping point before carbon fiber starting creeping all over the Record group like kudzu. I think it has the carbon lever bodies, but otherwise has the classic alloy look combined with modern shifting and braking that make it perfect for contemporary classic-style frames (like a Della Santa). Maybe one of Campagnolo's high points in some ways - the design-driven C-Record bits had been sifted out and dual pivots and slant parallelogram embraced, but still all that shiny metal. Taken good care of, I think it has some upside, as well as present value. I think I'd keep it for the Della Santa and care for it well, and sell the SR, all the while keeping my fingers crossed that those 8-speed brifters don't develop issues. Maybe a cottage industry for early brifter repair and rebuild will develop - maybe it's already out there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,175
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 speed Ergo is very good, I have a set, and one extra set of wheels with the EXA hub and ti "cassette".

    never bothered to upgrade, mine is all alloy.

    Now, 11 speed Centaur with reworked parts so it was all alloy, that might be fun.

  7. #7
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11,794
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Condition condition condition.

    A full SR group in 8/10 or better condition will set you back about a $1K.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i didnt think a sr group was woth that much. mine is nice shape and the 8 speed record group is almost mint. i think i will go with the 8 speed record group on the della santa and the sr group i strip off the della santa will sell....now of course another question??? should i sell it one piece at a time or as a whole group??
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    Condition condition condition.

    A full SR group in 8/10 or better condition will set you back about a $1K.

  9. #9
    Gone World Hepster 23skidoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMHO, you'd get a better return for your time and money piecing it out. I've seen nice SR rear mechs go in the $125 range on the bay.
    77 Trek TX300--78 Trek TX-300--79 Trek 510--83 Trek 520--83 Nickel Plated Trek 400--86 Trek Elance 400--75 Gitane Interclub--73 Viscount 'Death Fork SS--76 Viscount Aerospace Pro--80's Diamant Verbinnen--80's Basso--90's Montagner SS--84 SR Explorer MTB

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
    IMHO, you'd get a better return for your time and money piecing it out. I've seen nice SR rear mechs go in the $125 range on the bay.
    I agree entirely, if you're willing to deal with the added hassles.

  11. #11
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11,794
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd list the SR as group first, advertising, packaging and mailing a parted out group is time consuming. Advertise it with a fixed price you'd be happy with, if it sells it sells. If it doesnt, part it out.

    There is considerable savings to a buyer if a group is complete, mailed seperatly shipping will be in the $100-125 range, packaged as a group in 1 box shipping is ~$20.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  12. #12
    Since 1938... JunkYardBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwestern NJ
    Posts
    6,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd ride the ergos. Campy 8 speed stuff is getting rare. In mint condition, those ergos could probably pull $200 or more on ebay. The RD over $100.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advice. you know, this isnt "c record" just record. i guess there is a difference. as i mentioned, the group is from 1994 so i dont know if thats as valuable as you may think it is or not. much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkYardBike View Post
    I'd ride the ergos. Campy 8 speed stuff is getting rare. In mint condition, those ergos could probably pull $200 or more on ebay. The RD over $100.

  14. #14
    Since 1938... JunkYardBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwestern NJ
    Posts
    6,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe englert View Post
    thanks for the advice. you know, this isnt "c record" just record. i guess there is a difference. as i mentioned, the group is from 1994 so i dont know if thats as valuable as you may think it is or not. much appreciated
    Yep, I'm talking about the 90's Record stuff. Check completed ebay auctions: http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.htm...c0.m283&_rdc=1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •