Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-10, 12:12 PM   #1
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
Thread Starter
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Raleigh Team Professional & Raleigh Team USA??

I am looking at a mid 80 Raleigh TEAM USA, is this the same as a Raleigh Team Professional?

cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 06:12 AM   #2
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
Thread Starter
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
I am looking at a mid 80 Raleigh TEAM USA, is this the same as a Raleigh Team Professional?


cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 07:26 AM   #3
brian3069 
Senior Member
 
brian3069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's a low end Raleigh with team Graphics. Team frames don't have eyelets on the dropouts.
brian3069 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 08:41 AM   #4
bobbycorno
Senior Member
 
bobbycorno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say more midrange than low end, but no team pro. Not by a long shot.

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 08:56 AM   #5
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
Thread Starter
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
brian and bobby, thanks for the feedback.

Now, I know what I am dealing with. My mouth is watered for a team pro in my size at a nice price.
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 06:59 PM   #6
RobE30 
Wherever I may roam....
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Topton Pa
Bikes: A few bikes
Posts: 1,881
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Its a heavier frame but, I still want one. I just think they look cool
__________________
Emails are quicker.... RobvanI-81@hotmail.com

ISO: Roberts frame/fork 58cm
RobE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:48 AM   #7
verktyg 
verktyg
 
verktyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Raleigh Team Professionals and Team USA

If you want the whole story, there's no simple answer.

Raleigh Team Professional & Raleigh Team USA are different beasts...

Dates are approximate, you can find specifics on the web.

Around 1969 Raleigh introduced the Raleigh Professional model which they continued producing through at least 1978. It was their top of the line "off the rack" production model.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...fessional.html

In the early 1970s Raleigh got involved it professional cycle racing in Europe. Prior to that the Carlton brand was their racing outlet. In 1974 Raleigh offered a limited edition Team Professional model that was hand built in the same small shop at Ilkeston, UK where their official team bikes were built. These were custom built frames and came in the Raleigh red, black and yellow team colors. Here's a page from the 1976 catalog.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...fessional.html

There is a group that covers these bikes. It requires joining to access the information and group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI_RALEIGH_TEAM_PROS/

Over the years Raleigh offered a number of different models of bikes in the team colors ranging from entry level gas pipe clunkers to some near the top of their model offerings but not quite the custom built Team Professionals.

In the 80s Raleigh fell on some hard times and had some models made for them in Japan. They also got into some arrangements with some Americans and Raleigh USA was formed.

Raleigh USA set up operations in Kent, WA in the 1980s and produced some bikes there for the US market. They also brought in bikes from Asia. The Team USA bike pictured may have been made in the US or Asia? The 555 tubing was not the same as Reynolds 531 but made of chrome molybdenum steel instead.

To muddy the water further, Raleigh USA brought in a few real Raleigh Team Professional frames made in the UK. Most of those were marked TEAM USA Many of those were made with Reynolds 753 tubing. A few of those had red main tubes with black forks and stays (but no stars???).

In the late 80s Raleigh USA started making frames with aluminum tubing glued into steel lugs. These later became steel tubes glued into aluminum lugs. Some of these glued style frames were labeled TEAM USA too.

Clear now?

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg; 08-20-10 at 03:55 AM.
verktyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:16 AM   #8
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
Thread Starter
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
If you want the whole story, there's no simple answer.

Raleigh Team Professional & Raleigh Team USA are different beasts...

Dates are approximate, you can find specifics on the web.

Around 1969 Raleigh introduced the Raleigh Professional model which they continued producing through at least 1978. It was their top of the line "off the rack" production model.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...fessional.html

In the early 1970s Raleigh got involved it professional cycle racing in Europe. Prior to that the Carlton brand was their racing outlet. In 1974 Raleigh offered a limited edition Team Professional model that was hand built in the same small shop at Ilkeston, UK where their official team bikes were built. These were custom built frames and came in the Raleigh red, black and yellow team colors. Here's a page from the 1976 catalog.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...fessional.html

There is a group that covers these bikes. It requires joining to access the information and group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI_RALEIGH_TEAM_PROS/

Over the years Raleigh offered a number of different models of bikes in the team colors ranging from entry level gas pipe clunkers to some near the top of their model offerings but not quite the custom built Team Professionals.

In the 80s Raleigh fell on some hard times and had some models made for them in Japan. They also got into some arrangements with some Americans and Raleigh USA was formed.

Raleigh USA set up operations in Kent, WA in the 1980s and produced some bikes there for the US market. They also brought in bikes from Asia. The Team USA bike pictured may have been made in the US or Asia? The 555 tubing was not the same as Reynolds 531 but made of chrome molybdenum steel instead.

To muddy the water further, Raleigh USA brought in a few real Raleigh Team Professional frames made in the UK. Most of those were marked TEAM USA Many of those were made with Reynolds 753 tubing. A few of those had red main tubes with black forks and stays (but no stars???).

In the late 80s Raleigh USA started making frames with aluminum tubing glued into steel lugs. These later became steel tubes glued into aluminum lugs. Some of these glued style frames were labeled TEAM USA too.

Clear now?

Chas.

Greatly Clear!!

Not only that, you peeps are learning me how to do some research too.

Thanks again,

ceh
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:23 AM   #9
norskagent
car dodger
 
norskagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: garner/raleigh nc
Bikes:
Posts: 3,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw one those (Team U.S.A. , 555 tubing) bikes for sale a few weeks ago, it was out front of an urban-trendy-retro-hipster store for ~$165. A day or so later I saw someone riding it around town.
__________________
1989 Schwinn Paramount OS
1980 Mclean/Silk Hope Sport Touring
1983 Bianchi pista
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
norskagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 03:49 AM   #10
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
Thread Starter
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norskagent View Post
I saw one those (Team U.S.A. , 555 tubing) bikes for sale a few weeks ago, it was out front of an urban-trendy-retro-hipster store for ~$165. A day or so later I saw someone riding it around town.
That price seems to be fair. The one in the picture is on ebay for $99 and $65 for shipping. That would be about the max I would pay for it.. However, it is not the team pro that I am lusting for, and since I have two Raleigh Competitions, I think I can hold out until I run across a real 1980s Team Professional, or and just plain Raleigh Professional, all vintage 80s.
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 03:16 PM   #11
verktyg 
verktyg
 
verktyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
eBay Raleigh Team USA

I saw that bike on eBay. It looks like some rodent has chewed on the seat!

The bike has a mismatched fork...Why?

The original fork should have been the same color as the rear triangle.

I'm always suspicious of a bike with a replacement fork. The first things that I check are the areas under the top and down tube lugs at the head tube to feel for any ripples indicating a front end crash.

Chas.
verktyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.