Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Marinoni Squadra: SLX

    Hey guys, I thought I might need some pro help for this one.

    here's the description:
    columbus slx tubing
    61cm
    chromed fork and rear triangle
    1995ish
    Clean paint job.

    What do you think the frame is worth?

    thanks in advance. Here are some pics:







    Last edited by jacemtl; 11-09-10 at 03:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11,840
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $250-500. Its a wild card market out there....

    Pluses: SLX tubing, and fresh paint
    Minuses: repaint, 61cm and not so sought after name
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  3. #3
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,166
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nice looking bike. what is SLX NEW?
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,997
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    $250-500. Its a wild card market out there....

    Pluses: SLX tubing, and fresh paint
    Minuses: repaint, 61cm and not so sought after name
    I have to disagree with the last comment. Vintage Marinoni are very highly regarded and sought out by knowledgeable cyclists, particulary in Canada and the northeast USA.

    Another plus is the fastback stay configuration. I believe that was custom request. At least it was when I got mine in 1991.

    It would be nice to have clearer pics to ascertain the cosmetic condition.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
    I have to disagree with the last comment. Vintage Marinoni are very highly regarded and sought out by knowledgeable cyclists, particulary in Canada and the northeast USA.

    Another plus is the fastback stay configuration. I believe that was custom request. At least it was when I got mine in 1991.

    It would be nice to have clearer pics to ascertain the cosmetic condition.
    Thanks for the replies guys!

    The paint is original, the previous owner had it custommade, as you say T-Mar.
    I'm pretty stoked on the stay design too, There are no welds and the rear is "slimmer"

    As for the condition, it's mint except some tiny paint chips on the top tube. My fault... I used to put my other bike nearby and I guess the there was some contact.
    I'll try to get some nicer pics though.

    Is a 15 year old bike considerer vintage? Will it gain significant value in time?
    Basicly I'm asking myself (and you guys) if I should keep it or sell it. I must admit it's a tad big for me (58cm Vs 61cm)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    $250-500. Its a wild card market out there....

    Pluses: SLX tubing, and fresh paint
    Minuses: repaint, 61cm and not so sought after name
    I know what you mean, it's not a Merckx or some high end Italian brand.
    But the craftsmanship and the materials are equivalent, if not exactly the same.


    I see the same paradox in the generic carbon fiber frames made in Asia.
    Two compagnies, same bike and different prices because of the brand.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    nice looking bike. what is SLX NEW?
    I wonder if that's a repaint decal.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
    I have to disagree with the last comment. Vintage Marinoni are very highly regarded and sought out by knowledgeable cyclists, particulary in Canada and the northeast USA.

    Another plus is the fastback stay configuration. I believe that was custom request. At least it was when I got mine in 1991.

    It would be nice to have clearer pics to ascertain the cosmetic condition.
    Marinoni's were super deals on race-worthy frames, and remain undervalued somewhat on the secondary market - though the number of folks now attuned to their quality have changed that somewhat. I still regret passing on one at my LBS that was $350 and came kitted out with full Dura Ace 8-speed STI. That said, the vast majority are not a match for the best Italian brands, and the comparison is not necessarily a fair one, given the number of frames Marinoni was making compared to, say, De Rosa or Masi. A custom Marinoni would be a different deal, and might more closely approach the quality of a top Italian frame (though perhaps not the very best), but custom Marinoni's are of course much less common than the production models. A custom Marinoni would definitely be a nice score. With Marinoni's, as with much else, there are better and lesser variations on the theme.
    Last edited by Picchio Special; 11-11-10 at 04:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    9,751
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picchio Special View Post
    I wonder if that's a repaint decal.
    On the topic of SLX New, I have heard so many possibilities.

    My Tommasini Sintesi has the original paint, yet has a "SLX New" decal.

    A shop in Tuscany two summers ago told me "SLX New" was rebadged/renamed TSX.

    PRX they also asserted, was similar to TSX.

    PRX was similar to SLX New.

    Here's a pic from a flickr post.



    This is murky, and second hand hearsay I know.

    Makes as much sense as anything else I've heard.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Iowegian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boulder, Colo
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    what is SLX NEW?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...now-what-it-is

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    On the topic of SLX New, I have heard so many possibilities.

    My Tommasini Sintesi has the original paint, yet has a "SLX New" decal.

    A shop in Tuscany two summers ago told me "SLX New" was rebadged/renamed TSX.

    PRX they also asserted, was similar to TSX.

    PRX was similar to SLX New.

    Here's a pic from a flickr post.
    Bottom line is that it's one of those deals that's much more about marketing than anything else.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    9,751
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picchio Special View Post
    Bottom line is that it's one of those deals that's much more about marketing than anything else.
    Yes.

    Rides like SLX, which I happen to like quite a bit.

  13. #13
    Senior Member afilado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga
    My Bikes
    '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III
    Posts
    1,172
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, is your range estimation based on the frame/fork alone or on the bike equiped as pictured?

    Thanks,

    Julian

    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    $250-500. Its a wild card market out there....

    Pluses: SLX tubing, and fresh paint
    Minuses: repaint, 61cm and not so sought after name

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal Quebec, Plateau
    My Bikes
    91 bridgestone rb-2, Univega viva sport, 04 masi Nouva Strada,Dave Scott Ironman, Changes like every month
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picchio Special View Post
    Marinoni's were super deals on race-worthy frames, and remain undervalued somewhat on the secondary market - though the number of folks now attuned to their quality have changed that somewhat. I still regret passing on one at my LBS that was $350 and came kitted out with full Dura Ace 8-speed STI. That said, the vast majority are not a match for the best Italian brands, and the comparison is not necessarily a fair one, given the number of frames Marinoni was making compared to, say, De Rosa or Masi. A custom Marinoni would be a different deal, and might more closely approach the quality of a top Italian frame (though perhaps not the very best), but custom Marinoni's are of course much less common than the production models. A custom Marinoni would definitely be a nice score. With Marinoni's, as with much else, there are better and lesser variations on the theme.

    I know its an old thread but I noticed a misconception here. Many Marinonis actually ARE custom. In fact, the low price of a built-to-suit frame was and is what made Marinonis so desirable. I believe custom sizing in the 80's was less than $100 over the normal cost. Today its about $200. Most "Special" models are built to size or were otherwise ordered from the factory and thus allowed for some degree of customization. Yes, Marinoni will do extra special work like crimped tubing or wishbone stays, but the built to fit frames are the most common "custom" models. All Marinoni's I've seen (many) have had much more consistent craftsmanship than their Italian counterparts. The exception being higher end Italian models. Comparing a mid range Marinoni to a mid range Pinarello would find the Marnoni to be the superior bike in most respects. ATMO
    "tongue is big, like dog"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •