Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-10, 11:53 PM   #1
aseth
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
aseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 2001 Trek 2000 Alpha Series; 2011 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bianchi Campione del Mondo - 86

Is it worth making an offer? I'm looking for a road bike to tinker with in time for the spring.

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/2067574302.html
aseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 12:03 AM   #2
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 7,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be a fun bike but in my opinion not worth anything near the asking price
thirdgenbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 08:48 AM   #3
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
that is a nice Bianchi and the exact same model that started my love affair with Bianchis. despite what the seller thinks it is not a '86 Campione de Mondo or part of a "colorado series"

what it is, is an '87 Sport SX with Suntour Alpha 5000 components. it actually has magalloy stays but still rides great. this bike looks small for someone 5'5". I agree on the price $400 seems like alot for that bike. it sold new for 475 or so and this one does not seem well cared for. also the stem and seat post look real high and that could be causing problems.
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 11:57 AM   #4
aseth
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
aseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 2001 Trek 2000 Alpha Series; 2011 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
what it is, is an '87 Sport SX with Suntour Alpha 5000 components. it actually has magalloy stays but still rides great. this bike looks small for someone 5'5". I agree on the price $400 seems like alot for that bike. it sold new for 475 or so and this one does not seem well cared for. also the stem and seat post look real high and that could be causing problems.
Well, I'm 5'4 so it might work! I'd have to see it in person. Any thoughts on what would be a fair offer? I don't want to insult the guy, but I don't want to get ripped of. If I pick this up, what sort of work/additional costs would I be looking at putting in? (Or perhaps the better question is--what additional questions should I put to the seller/what should I be looking for when I go to inspect it?)

Thanks for helping out a newbie.
aseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:14 PM   #5
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sold a minty, columbus tubed, celeste Campione in the same basic size, slightly earlier (I think) for 450$. Very quickly, no questions.

This one isn't celeste, isn't minty, isn't a Campione,and doesn't have columbus tubing. It's probably in the 100-200$ range, unless that rust in the photo is really really awful. Likely more at the low end of that.

I'd check the seatpost and stem for stuckness, and if they're stuck, walk away. Take allen wrenches with you.

Given the asking price, the seller is unlikely to settle for anything in the range I just suggested, though.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:30 PM   #6
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
+1, asking price is too much. A fair price would be about $150, assuming there are no mechanical issues that a simple tuneup can't solve. Good advise regarding the post and stem. Also, be aware that Accushift is defunct, not compatible with Shimao SIS and replacements parts are hard to come by.
T-Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 04:31 PM   #7
aseth
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
aseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 2001 Trek 2000 Alpha Series; 2011 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the giveaway in the picture that it's not a Campione?
aseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 07:34 AM   #8
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
well I am not one toot my own horn but I know that bike is not a Campione. I owned that exact same model an in one pic you can see Sport SX on the TT.

there is a sticker on the DT commorating a Bianchi bicycle winnin the world championships in Colorado. lots of sellers mistake tis decal as having more meaning and believe the bike is something special. I have 9 or 10 bianchis with that sticker.

again it is a nice bike but it does look dirty and uncared for. I have seen mint ones not sell in te high $300s. it is cold and the snow is already flying up there. if that bike is still available maybe he will deal.
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 07:41 AM   #9
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
unless you are sold on a lugged vintagesque ride this looks like a real deal to me. I never see these less than 500

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/2072356409.html even if you need to spend $50 to have a HS put in in a month or so the price seems good


this one is not as nice a bike as the Sport SX but it looks in better shape and is only 200

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/2036164976.html
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:29 AM   #10
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
well I am not one toot my own horn but I know that bike is not a Campione. I owned that exact same model an in one pic you can see Sport SX on the TT.

there is a sticker on the DT commorating a Bianchi bicycle winnin the world championships in Colorado. lots of sellers mistake tis decal as having more meaning and believe the bike is something special. I have 9 or 10 bianchis with that sticker.

again it is a nice bike but it does look dirty and uncared for. I have seen mint ones not sell in te high $300s. it is cold and the snow is already flying up there. if that bike is still available maybe he will deal.
What's happening is the seller is getting confused by the championship sticker.

The "Campione" model is actually the Campione d'Italia model. At this time, it was Italian made. I'm pretty sure the above is an Asian made Bianchi. It's nice, but the Italians have, er, panache, and sell for more than the Asian made bikes.

The championship sticker is on just about every Bianchi from that period. Hi end, low end, and everything in between.

400 clams isn't out of line for a Campione model in nice condition. As noted before, this bike doesn't appear to be in that nice a condition.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 10:39 PM   #11
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
What's happening is the seller is getting confused by the championship sticker.

The "Campione" model is actually the Campione d'Italia model. At this time, it was Italian made. I'm pretty sure the above is an Asian made Bianchi. It's nice, but the Italians have, er, panache, and sell for more than the Asian made bikes.

The championship sticker is on just about every Bianchi from that period. Hi end, low end, and everything in between.

400 clams isn't out of line for a Campione model in nice condition. As noted before, this bike doesn't appear to be in that nice a condition.
I can't follow what your saying here. are you saying this is a Campoine de someting or other? the top tube is clearly marked Sport SX
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.