Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-11, 01:14 AM   #1
yroc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
yroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did I pay too much

I have a Univega viva sport and i would very much like to know more about it.

lugged steel Lawee design - triple butted Japanese road bike, 58cm
- 700 c wheels with quick releases.
bottom bracket has PE69815 and another 59 stamped vertically

Front and rear brakes are suntour slr with shimano pads
brake levers are shimano
rear derailleur is a suntour cyclone 7000
front derailleur suntour 5000
suntour index shifters
handlebars are GT sakae signature
handle bar stem says custom
mks pedals
univega cotterless crank
front hub says se sansin 5345
rear hub says suzue sealed tech

Cost 100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg univega.jpg (82.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg univega viva crank.jpg (98.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Univega viva sport.jpg (98.2 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by yroc; 01-17-11 at 01:26 AM. Reason: add pics
yroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:14 AM   #2
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,474
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yroc View Post
I have a Univega viva sport and i would very much like to know more about it.

lugged steel Lawee design - triple butted Japanese road bike, 58cm
- 700 c wheels with quick releases.
bottom bracket has PE69815 and another 59 stamped vertically

Front and rear brakes are suntour slr with shimano pads
brake levers are shimano
rear derailleur is a suntour cyclone 7000
front derailleur suntour 5000
suntour index shifters
handlebars are GT sakae signature
handle bar stem says custom
mks pedals
univega cotterless crank
front hub says se sansin 5345
rear hub says suzue sealed tech

Cost 100
How does she fit?
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:56 AM   #3
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
looks like a great deal to me, how does it fit and ride?



PS to alot of these cheapskates $100 was way too much. they will say you should have only paid $50 in confederate money for it LOL
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-17-11 at 08:00 AM.
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:11 AM   #4
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,976
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Bike needs just a little TLC (tires, cables, bearings and grease), so $100 to $125 as it sits. Paint is good, so with a little effort, it would be worth $175 to $200.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-17-11 at 08:21 AM.
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:07 AM   #5
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 12,121
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Looks like a good deal to me too. FYI, it's a 1987, Miyata manufactured model. Based on the frame and components this would have been in the $500 US range during it's day. It appears to be in good condition. My only concern is the first generation AccuShift components, which did not index well and are hard to obtain. Of course, in a pinch you can always switch to the friction option.
T-Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 03:20 PM   #6
yroc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
yroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My univega is about 1 inch too big for me but still very comfortable. Its in very good condition and rides perfect.
yroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:03 PM   #7
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
$100 is a fair price for a bike that needs reconditioing. In Tampa its worth $175 in ride ready condition.
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:21 PM   #8
roccobike
Bike Junkie
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Posts: 9,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For a Keeper, $100 is a good price. I wouldn't mind finding that bike in one of my weekend searches. Good luck with it.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:34 PM   #9
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
$100 was way too much. You should have only paid $50 in confederate money for it
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:40 PM   #10
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
$100 is at the top end of the price range, but if it's in decent shape, and it looks like it is, then $100 would be a go for me. Heck I've seen fair condition Schwinn Varsity's go for more then that where I live (Fort Wayne), and I wouldn't touch one of those! There's one of those Viva's on E-bay trying to get a bid started at $99 and yours looks to be in better shape.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:17 PM   #11
Thumpic 
Senior Member
 
Thumpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Sunny South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you bought it to ride; you did well. If you bought it to flip; you didn't. Either way I would've bought it as its all fun and games to me. Every bike I have is for sale at some point. I ride my money out of them first.
__________________
Thumpic....

Green is the new "CHEAP"
Thumpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 01:15 AM   #12
vintagebicycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think $100 is a steal for that bike, the frame looks super clean, it's a triple butted larger frame to top it all off.
I do see miss matched rims, but that's not too big a deal, and tires are almost always on the list on any used bike. I'd have jumped on it because it's in my size range. I've got a lesser model Univega now but it's a tad small for me, and not near as clean as yours.

The way I look at the value of a bike is the sum of it's parts. In other words, as a last resort to sell it, can you get your money out of it's parts. By the look of it, the frame alone would far exceed the $100 you paid. Then add in all the Suntour equipment and the wheels, even if they don't match.
I'm not saying I go around looking to spend top dollar on any bike, but I certainly would never sell that for only a $100, even if it didn't fit me.
vintagebicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 06:37 AM   #13
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You made a good deal. By the way, when you say an inch too tall, are you meaning the standover, or once you are on it is the reach also too long of a stretch. Never been on a Univega, but depending on the top tube length, It could actually be the "right" size for you even though the standover might be up in your unmentionables. Make sure you ride it lots before deciding it is too tall. You might end up selling it and regretting it later. I like the bike, I'm a Miyata fan and if they make it, it is a keeper.
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 07:19 AM   #14
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
You made a good deal. By the way, when you say an inch too tall, are you meaning the standover, or once you are on it is the reach also too long of a stretch. Never been on a Univega, but depending on the top tube length, It could actually be the "right" size for you even though the standover might be up in your unmentionables. Make sure you ride it lots before deciding it is too tall. You might end up selling it and regretting it later. I like the bike, I'm a Miyata fan and if they make it, it is a keeper.
I'm a Miyata fan myself, I have two of them a 87 Miyata Team I bought new and a 88 712 I bought used, their great bikes.

I notice Tugadude you have a 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, I bought an 85 about 3 months ago that was in mint condition bought new in 85 from a guy who rode it about 250 miles in 3 weeks and hurt his back at home so he put a blanket over it and stored it. It has all the original stuff except the tires he replaced about 5 years ago when he thought his back was good enough, but 5 miles into a ride the back started killing him so back in storage with the blanket covering it. Anyway, I've read some bad reports about the Suntour Mountech rear derailleur and wondering if you can shed some light on this stuff. One of my other bikes has a Suntour Superbe Tech derailleur (bought new by me in 84 for a new 84 Trek 660 it's still on) that got bad reports, but after 160,000 miles it still works great! So what's your experience with the Mountech? Thanks.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 08:16 AM   #15
MarylandDeRosa
Likes Steel and Lugs
 
MarylandDeRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: DeRosa Neo Primato, 1984 Trek 660, Buzz Bike Eliminator,1987 Schwinn Paramount, 1983 Trek 730
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
$100 was way too much. You should have only paid $50 in confederate money for it

Have you checked prices on original Confederate bills lately? lol
MarylandDeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 09:00 AM   #16
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandDeRosa View Post
Have you checked prices on original Confederate bills lately? lol
^ I just did and that was a surprise!

- All kidding aside though, I agree with those who said that the OP did well.

With 700c wheels, ss spokes, Cyclone DR, nice shiny paint, and that wonderful Univega CrMo frame, I think you have a very solid $200 bike there, if you just do the bearings and cables.
Also note that just having indexed shifting tends to make it more salable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
...... even though the standover might be up in your unmentionables. Make sure you ride it lots before deciding it is too tall. You might end up selling it and regretting it later. ...
+1

Many newbies end up buying bikes that are too small. So RIDE IT, then decide.
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 09:13 AM   #17
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
.... Anyway, I've read some bad reports about the Suntour Mountech rear derailleur and wondering if you can shed some light on this stuff. ... So what's your experience with the Mountech? Thanks.
A little off-topic here:
The Mountech was an ultra-smooth shifting high capacity DR, but t had a few problems as you probably have noted already. They are described in Disraeli Gears.

I have them on a couple bikes - and I am still waiting for them to implode.
My bikes though are not subject to grimy chains, or dusty conditions.
YMMV.
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:54 AM   #18
sykerocker 
Senior Member
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montpelier, VA
Bikes: The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
$100 was way too much. You should have only paid $50 in confederate money for it
Paid for it? The bastard should have given it to you, and tossed you twenty bucks for the hauling!
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:06 PM   #19
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
A little off-topic here:
The Mountech was an ultra-smooth shifting high capacity DR, but t had a few problems as you probably have noted already. They are described in Disraeli Gears.

I have them on a couple bikes - and I am still waiting for them to implode.
My bikes though are not subject to grimy chains, or dusty conditions.
YMMV.
That's what I was wondering. I keep my stuff clean so maybe that's why my "problem plagued" Superbe Tech has lasted 160,000 plus miles. But when touring keeping stuff really clean may be a problem, that's why I was wondering if I should be worried about the Mountech. But it sounds like you've used them for awhile without any ill effects.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 06:29 PM   #20
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
That's what I was wondering. I keep my stuff clean so maybe that's why my "problem plagued" Superbe Tech has lasted 160,000 plus miles. But when touring keeping stuff really clean may be a problem, that's why I was wondering if I should be worried about the Mountech. But it sounds like you've used them for awhile without any ill effects.
Rekmeyata, I absolutely love my Schwinn Letour Luxe. What a nice bike! Triple up front and 5 speed handles any hills I care to throw at it and the weight of the bike is approx. 25 lbs. including rack. The Columbux Tenax tubing is sweet. My bike is the bright blue, it was also offered in a brownish/maroon I believe. I took the Suntour Mountech RD off because it didn't work properly. While it hadn't "exploded" like some reports that I've heard, the upper jockey wheel was toast. Can't even say that it had anything to do with the RD itself, but it really needed to be replaced. I replaced it with a modern RD and intend to do some credit card tours on it this year. Glad you like yours.
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:49 PM   #21
yroc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
yroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies:
The stand over is whats a little too tall for me.
the reach to the bars are great along with the reach to the crank.
My bike rides just like my schwinn letour well almost as nice.. I was a total dum ass and sold it to a kid that lost his driving privileges and needed to get around town... I just wish i had never sold it now!
yroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 06:47 AM   #22
Thumpic 
Senior Member
 
Thumpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Sunny South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yroc View Post
I was a total dum ass and sold it to a kid that lost his driving privileges and needed to get around town... I just wish i had never sold it now!
Call him up.....I guarantee that bike will permanently hit the garage as soon as he get his license back.......hell he might GIVE it to you.....
__________________
Thumpic....

Green is the new "CHEAP"
Thumpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 09:24 AM   #23
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Rekmeyata, I absolutely love my Schwinn Letour Luxe. What a nice bike! Triple up front and 5 speed handles any hills I care to throw at it and the weight of the bike is approx. 25 lbs. including rack. The Columbux Tenax tubing is sweet. My bike is the bright blue, it was also offered in a brownish/maroon I believe. I took the Suntour Mountech RD off because it didn't work properly. While it hadn't "exploded" like some reports that I've heard, the upper jockey wheel was toast. Can't even say that it had anything to do with the RD itself, but it really needed to be replaced. I replaced it with a modern RD and intend to do some credit card tours on it this year. Glad you like yours.
Like mine? I just bought it 3 months ago (actually I just remembered I bought it in the middle of November, so not quite 3 months) and due to snow and cold I haven't had a chance to ride it!!! LOL But it fits fine so I know I'll probably like it. The funny thing is that bike has the original Advocet saddle, the same saddle I use to race on years ago, I loved that saddle and had 3 or 4 of them, and when I tried to replace the last one I had they had changed the design and the newer one rode like a brick, and that started a 12 or 13 saddle search over 12 or 13 years trying to find one I liked. But I'm going to take that saddle off buy another B17 for it, and save the saddle for who knows what.

I'm going to make sure the derailleur (and bike of course) stays clean and lubed real well like I do with the Superbe Tech and see how long it will work.

EDIT; I forgot to mention one thing, I will convert the Schwinn from down tube shifters to bar end shifters which are easier to operate with a fully loaded touring bike. But of course I'll keep the down tube shifters in case I ever want to convert it back.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is true; I thought I remembered, or heard that you could have bar end shifters AND down tube shifters at the same time? Not sure how that could work since the one would interfere with the other. But Robert Beckman Designs makes a Sakkit touring bike with a backup shifting system, a primary and a secondary (http://robertbeckmandesigns.com/bikeframes.html) not sure how's he doing this.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 01-22-11 at 09:55 AM.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 10:02 AM   #24
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpic View Post
Call him up.....I guarantee that bike will permanently hit the garage as soon as he get his license back.......hell he might GIVE it to you.....
I agree it is certainly worth a try, unless he somehow got the cycling bug
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-22-11 at 02:48 PM.
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 10:20 AM   #25
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reach is more important

Quote:
Originally Posted by yroc View Post
Thanks for all the replies:
The stand over is whats a little too tall for me.
the reach to the bars are great along with the reach to the crank.
My bike rides just like my schwinn letour well almost as nice.. I was a total dum ass and sold it to a kid that lost his driving privileges and needed to get around town... I just wish i had never sold it now!
Remember, you rarely stand over the bike, except getting on it and maybe at lights, stop signs, etc.

More important is how it feels when you are riding it. The top tube length is the acid test, at least for me. Reach is everything. I don't care if I have to tippy toe when standing over it. What I care about is how my arms, neck and back feel when I'm pedaling. Not trying to start arguments here, but I just think it is worth thinking about. The sometimes repeated adage of "find a bike that you can stand over with 1-1/2" to 2" of clearance doesn't work for my personal geometry at all. I am a long torso dude and it seems you might be as well.
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.