Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-11, 09:49 PM   #1
TugaDude
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Should I or shouldn't I?

Really conflicted here. I had listed a Raleigh Technium 460 on my local CL for $150.00 and then reduced it to $120.00 if I took off the brand new Bontrager gumwalls and replaced with some old, but still rideable tires.

Now a guy wants to pay $100.00 for it and doesn't need any tires.

The problem I'm having is that I put a new Shimano 6 speed freewheel on it and it probably has 20 miles on it, tops. I also put on new Bontrager Gel bar tape, spent tons of time cleaning, polishing, etc.

And the worst part, it rides like a dream!

I could use the money to finish the build on a frame I recently bought. I know I can get more in the spring, but am tempted to let it go.

I don't have any photos of it on my laptop, but trust me, it is very nice. It is a silver color and the paint is in very good shape.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TugaDude; 01-17-11 at 10:00 PM.
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:13 PM   #2
Thumpic 
Senior Member
 
Thumpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Sunny South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
$120 and he gets the tires.....if he doesn't want them; take them off for free........
__________________
Thumpic....

Green is the new "CHEAP"
Thumpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 02:05 AM   #3
vintagebicycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds to me like your buyer wants to buy a fixer upper not a rideable bike. The time you put into it, plus the value not the cost of the parts has to count for something too. If you have to keep downgrading the bike and putting more time into it, your making less on it in the end, even if you keep the parts.

I bought a Raleigh Super Course last month, the frame is mint, the bike is a 1978 and looks never ridden. The last owner bought it at an estate sale, showed me the receipt for $50. Then put new Michelin tires and tubes on it, all new cables, and he took the bike completely apart and cleaned and relubed every moving part on it. Then he sells it to me for $100? I don't get it, he had to spend 20 hours or more meticulously cleaning and polishing the bike, let alone cleaning and regreasing the BB, both hubs, headset and pedal shafts. He even put on new padded cork bar tape. I know what the tires cost wholesale, and that alone plus the bar tape and tubes puts him near $100, he made nothing. I sold it a week later, having to do nothing to it other than put the original B-17 saddle back on it, (and kept the new gel saddle). I got $450 for it and never advertised it.

I'd raise the price on that bike, if he can't afford it, just sit back and wait for someone that can. Your buyer doesn't want it bad enough. I don't know what you paid for it, but if you have $50 or so in the tires and tubes, plus another $30 or $40 in other parts, plus your time. It sure don't leave much room to make a profit.
vintagebicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 06:16 AM   #4
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,973
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Depends whether you need the money now. The market is pretty slow right now, should improve by April (depends where you live).
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 06:24 AM   #5
TugaDude
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle View Post
It sounds to me like your buyer wants to buy a fixer upper not a rideable bike. The time you put into it, plus the value not the cost of the parts has to count for something too. If you have to keep downgrading the bike and putting more time into it, your making less on it in the end, even if you keep the parts.

I bought a Raleigh Super Course last month, the frame is mint, the bike is a 1978 and looks never ridden. The last owner bought it at an estate sale, showed me the receipt for $50. Then put new Michelin tires and tubes on it, all new cables, and he took the bike completely apart and cleaned and relubed every moving part on it. Then he sells it to me for $100? I don't get it, he had to spend 20 hours or more meticulously cleaning and polishing the bike, let alone cleaning and regreasing the BB, both hubs, headset and pedal shafts. He even put on new padded cork bar tape. I know what the tires cost wholesale, and that alone plus the bar tape and tubes puts him near $100, he made nothing. I sold it a week later, having to do nothing to it other than put the original B-17 saddle back on it, (and kept the new gel saddle). I got $450 for it and never advertised it.

I'd raise the price on that bike, if he can't afford it, just sit back and wait for someone that can. Your buyer doesn't want it bad enough. I don't know what you paid for it, but if you have $50 or so in the tires and tubes, plus another $30 or $40 in other parts, plus your time. It sure don't leave much room to make a profit.
^this. I think I'm going to remove it from CL. You are right, he doesn't want it badly enough and my other project will have to wait until spring if necessary. Actually, I have the money and the room, just that my agreement with the missus is that this is a self-sustaining hobby and what ever bike money I have I do with as I please. If I go into our savings, then she wants to know why. I don't blame her. We have two in college and two other children at home and money is money.

I'm going to email the dude and tell him the price is the price and I will pull it off until spring unless he really wants it now.

Thanks,
Ray
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 08:22 AM   #6
tmh657
Senior Member
 
tmh657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Bikes: A few BSO's.
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
I'm going to email the dude and tell him the price is the price and I will pull it off until spring unless he really wants it now.
Indeed. I list a bike and get a buyer that says, "I know you want $X for the bike but I only have $Y."

I know the bike is worth $X so I just tell him to find a bike that only costs $Y. It might take a week to sell but you say you don't need the money today so wait for the right buyer, MHO.
tmh657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:11 PM   #7
sykerocker 
Senior Member
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montpelier, VA
Bikes: The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take that thinking a step further: I've currently got five bikes ready for Craigslist, sitting in the garden shed. I'll take one or two of the best to the Westminster swap meet, but otherwise, they're going to sit in the shed until 15 March, at the earliest (depending on how winter is winding down). I know what I've got in all of them, and what it'll take to make it worthwhile for me. And I don't need the money right now - my parts purchasing is still spending off my fall receipts.
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:57 PM   #8
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
Depends whether you need the money now. The market is pretty slow right now, should improve by April (depends where you live).
+1. Don't sell in the dead of winter - if you can help it, or you may see someone else sell it at a much higher price this April.
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 06:21 PM   #9
TugaDude
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
+1. Don't sell in the dead of winter - if you can help it, or you may see someone else sell it at a much higher price this April.
Great point. I'm gonna hold off. I have already taken it down off of CL. I sent him a nice email just saying that I've decided not to lower my asking price. I might relist it at a higher price just to see what happens. No harm in that I suppose, I might get it.

Thanks for all the feedback!
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 AM.