Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1981 Torelli....what's it worth?

    Hey guys, I'm new on here. But I have owned this bike since it was new and given to me as a gift as a boy in 1981. My god father owned a bike shop in L.A. and put all the best components of the time on it. I used it lightly for years, but it really hasn't seen the road in over 20 years now. It has always been stored indoors and is a bit dirty but all parts work perfectly and smoothly.

    Now I am looking to sell it potentially and would love an idea of what I could fetch for this bike. If any one out there could enlighten me...I'd appreciate it.

    Modolo Brakes
    Campi gears
    Mundial cranks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AZPhilg; 01-21-11 at 03:58 PM. Reason: more info

  2. #2
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding of the Torelli brand is that they are built in small shops in Italy, imported here by Chairman Bill and painted over here. Not all bikes are built by the same shop. I can't tell the condition by your photos but I'd bet you could get around $350 depending on where you are located.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm....well thanks for that reply. That's a good starting point i suppose. The bike is a bit dirty but with a little tune up, it's in prestine condition.

  4. #4
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know which Campy group is on the bike? What tubing? Which wheels? These can make a difference. Bikes were not ultra-high end but they were a decent mid range bike. You can also call torelli - Chairman Bill or his wife usually answer the phone.

  5. #5
    12345
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    south france
    Posts
    1,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vintage bikes are relatively inexpensive at the moment, so around $350 is fair. I would be inclined to keep it since it was a gift from your god father and you have already looked after it well for 30 years

  6. #6
    Senior Member bobbycorno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prettyshady View Post
    vintage bikes are relatively inexpensive at the moment, so around $350 is fair. I would be inclined to keep it since it was a gift from your god father and you have already looked after it well for 30 years
    +1 Spiff it up a bit, and RIDE IT!!!

    SP
    Bend, OR

  7. #7
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,719
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what kind of tubing is it made of? is the fork original?

    LongBeachGary: the RD looks like a 980gear and the FD looks Nouvo record. I wouldn't exactly call that top of the line. it was new in '81 though, the rims look like Ambrosio Elites you know the silver ones everyone used for replacements in the late '80s. I wouold not be suprised if the hubs were Miche or Ofmega.

    Bobbycorno: I don't think the seller can make out better by parting it out. 980 gears are not exactly bringing in big bucks on ebay, when was the last time you were in a bidding war over some Modolo brakes? plus OP is not really a biker so it might be hard for him to part it out and sell it.

    AZPhilg; I agrree with LongBeachgary and Prettyshady but 350 may be ver optimistic. as 'Shady points out the vintage market is soft and for a little known brand like Torelli you need the right person to come along. you need to make it super clean and look for some new hoods for the brake levers. and maybe a new seat too.

    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  8. #8
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    what kind of tubing is it made of? is the fork original?

    LongBeachGary: the RD looks like a 980gear and the FD looks Nouvo record. I wouldn't exactly call that top of the line. it was new in '81 though, the rims look like Ambrosio Elites you know the silver ones everyone used for replacements in the late '80s. I wouold not be suprised if the hubs were Miche or Ofmega.

    Bobbycorno: I don't think the seller can make out better by parting it out. 980 gears are not exactly bringing in big bucks on ebay, when was the last time you were in a bidding war over some Modolo brakes? plus OP is not really a biker so it might be hard for him to part it out and sell it.

    AZPhilg; I agrree with LongBeachgary and Prettyshady but 350 may be ver optimistic. as 'Shady points out the vintage market is soft and for a little known brand like Torelli you need the right person to come along. you need to make it super clean and look for some new hoods for the brake levers. and maybe a new seat too.

    Definately not top of the line. They are a little better known here because the office is in Camarillo CA (I think it's Camarillo). If I remember correctly Torelli was the importer/distributor for Masi for a while. I may even have an old flyer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    '58 Olmo, '60 Bergmeister, '63 Gran Sport, '68 DBS, '70 Gran Sports, '71 Italvega, '74 Alan, '74 Grand Jubile, Viscount, '80 Grand Record, '83 Trek 640, '84 Alpina Ultima, '84 High Sierra, 80's Torelli, '88 Nashbar CE, '89 RB-1, others
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like one of the Oria tubed Torelli's. AZPhilg, does this frame have a serial number? Gipiemme dropouts? I have a Torelli that might be a little newer, but very similar to yours. There is not a lot of informatin on these on line. Most don't regard these frames very highly but they sure are pretty in person.

  11. #11
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,719
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    Definately not top of the line. They are a little better known here because the office is in Camarillo CA (I think it's Camarillo). If I remember correctly Torelli was the importer/distributor for Masi for a while. I may even have an old flyer.
    the main office was in CA.? he way our sales rep talked the main office was in his car LOL. they were great bike (still are?) but I could never get the owner to carry them.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  12. #12
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what all the negativity is about over this bike; such comments as: "Definately not top of the line"; or: " Most don't regard these frames very highly but they sure are pretty in person"; or: "around $350 is fair". I've seen those bikes on E-Bay go for over $800 dollars in good condition; there's one on E-bay right now, a Corsa Strada steel frame, with a $1,600 buy it now price and it has some mars on it! While true it's not the best lugged steel frame ever made and the name is not highly recognized but it's still a hand built lugged frame and is worth more then $350; jeepers I've seen lessor bikes then that go for $300 on Craigslist like a lugged steel frame Ross or a Schwinn Le Tour and Sports. Just my lousy thought on all of this which I'm sure I'm going to get trounced on.

    Here's a Torelli PROJECT bike going for $300: http://slo.craigslist.org/bik/2152574577.html
    A Strada for $640: http://newyork.reachoo.com/ads/118609229

    Also my understanding was that Mondonico made the older bikes not Masi, but I could be wrong.

  13. #13
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Also my understanding was that Mondonico made the older bikes not Masi, but I could be wrong.
    I never said that Masi made Torelli. I said Torelli was once the distributor for Masi. I guess they are in North Hollywood now and not Camarillo any more. I wonder if Chairman Bill is still the boss.

    You may be right about price but don't judge a bike on what someone is asking for it - judge by what it sold for.

    Also, I'm not being negative, I personally like Torelli and would recommend them but without knowing if the components are something special, i wouldn't spend more than $350 MAYBE $400 on it.

    EDIT - I tried to copy and paste closed listings from ebay but it didn't work. EDIT

    This is a link to a similar bike that sold for $300
    http://cgi.ebay.com/torelli-vintage-...item3cb3d37546
    Last edited by longbeachgary; 01-22-11 at 11:08 AM.

  14. #14
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,719
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Not sure what all the negativity is about over this bike; such comments as: "Definately not top of the line"; or: " Most don't regard these frames very highly but they sure are pretty in person"; or: "around $350 is fair". I've seen those bikes on E-Bay go for over $800 dollars in good condition; there's one on E-bay right now, a Corsa Strada steel frame, with a $1,600 buy it now price and it has some mars on it! While true it's not the best lugged steel frame ever made and the name is not highly recognized but it's still a hand built lugged frame and is worth more then $350; jeepers I've seen lessor bikes then that go for $300 on Craigslist like a lugged steel frame Ross or a Schwinn Le Tour and Sports. Just my lousy thought on all of this which I'm sure I'm going to get trounced on.

    Here's a Torelli PROJECT bike going for $300: http://slo.craigslist.org/bik/2152574577.html
    A Strada for $640: http://newyork.reachoo.com/ads/118609229

    Also my understanding was that Mondonico made the older bikes not Masi, but I could be wrong.

    these bikes are being offered for sale at these prices they have not sold. the bike on reachoo is much better quality than the OPs bike not to mention newer. I suspect the CL bike may even be the OPs again it is being offer for sale it did not sell for that.

    as for as "definitely" not top of the line" the bike simply is not the top of the line. it is a nice bike but not the best Torelli offered. personally I think the OP would be lucky to get $300 but with his reply of

    "hmm....well thanks for that reply. That's a good starting point i suppose. The bike is a bit dirty but with a little tune up, it's in prestine condition."

    I believe he thinks it must be worth much more. it certainly needs cleaning and tune up but it is nowhere near prestine. no hoods, torn bar tape, torn seat...
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  15. #15
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think with all the bikes I would consider to be junk selling for $250 to $300 and the Torelli being better then the junk I've seen sold on Craigslist that $300 seems a bit low, especially if the bike is in pristine condition. Then seeing bikes on E-Bay that again I would not buy sell for more then I ever thought they were worth. Last year I saw a pristine Schwinn Varsity on E-bay go for $250...then add in the $125 shipping! So the buyer spent $375 for a Varsity??!! Shoot man I wouldn't pay $20 for one!! In fact someone would have to pay me to haul it away!!!! I remember those bikes when I was young and had friends that had them and they were junk. But to each their own, probably some old fart like me who wants to relive their youth...I just don't want to relive the headache.

    If you do sell the bike wait till spring, bikes sell faster and for more money.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Super Strada, one step up from the Corsa Strada on the last day of 2010. It all campy except the ofmega chainwheel and headset. A few chips on the paint but from a few feet away it looks pristine. I paid $350.00. The OP's bike would need a lot of TLC to even come close to mine. Mine has panto Chainwheel, steatpost, and stem. Chairman Bill sold the company about 3 years ago. I talked to the new owner about serial numbers and build info but he said he had no old history. Chairman Bill might have the info but then again maybe not. My serial number would be 1978 but the company did not start until 1983.

  17. #17
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
    I bought a Super Strada, one step up from the Corsa Strada on the last day of 2010. It all campy except the ofmega chainwheel and headset. A few chips on the paint but from a few feet away it looks pristine. I paid $350.00. The OP's bike would need a lot of TLC to even come close to mine. Mine has panto Chainwheel, steatpost, and stem. Chairman Bill sold the company about 3 years ago. I talked to the new owner about serial numbers and build info but he said he had no old history. Chairman Bill might have the info but then again maybe not. My serial number would be 1978 but the company did not start until 1983.
    Sorry to hear that Bill sold the company. I read a story about him years ago. Kind of quirky guy but a real passionate rider.

    Also the word pristine seems to have lost its meaning!!!! No chance the ops bike is pristine.

  18. #18
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,719
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    Sorry to hear that Bill sold the company. I read a story about him years ago. Kind of quirky guy but a real passionate rider.

    Also the word pristine seems to have lost its meaning!!!! No chance the ops bike is pristine.

    that's funny to hear the Torelli founder was 'quirky' that explains alot about his sales rep for our area. you know birds of feather
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  19. #19
    Using a Mepis 12 Beta
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vegas
    My Bikes
    Novara XR, Cannondale 800S,Trek 700, KHS Classic, Jamis Ventura Race, and a few more kinda under repaired
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found one of these Torelli bicycles in a garage sale and have spent a decent amount of time cleaning, and servicing the bicycle. I have ridden a number of new and more expensive bicycles, but the ride of this bicycle is quite difficult to match. It is a Italian bicycle with the Italian free spirit. This bicycle rides like a flight of fancy on pavement, and corners like a cat, but it always surprises me with its feather weight compared to other bicycles I use for comparison... I still do not have new photos with the blue black Michelin Pro2 Race Tires... I still have not discovered the secret of how how to polish the spokes, they appear to be titanium, and not stainless...
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-662182.html

    It is not a daily rider, but something to ride on occasion for a short fun run, the frame is to small for me, unfortunately. What's it worth, is a difficult question, to me the right size frame it would become my daily rider and It would never be parked unattended so i would alway have it to ride home and use again the following day... I understand the market for these bicycles is soft and maybe $275 - $375 is all the market might provide the seller today. My skill at restoring do not begin to approach the skills or quality of Bianchigirl, but I really like the bike after a bit of elbow grease and polish, and I always seem to spin the tires when I pass along side the bike that is displayed in my front room, I enjoy watching the Wheels they turn forever...

    The new Torelli is in a different ball park with its pricing. I read a post by Chairman Bill that Torelli was not on the Interbike showroom floor this year, and he had mixed feelings, have a read. I am quite sad the Show is leaving Las Vegas for LA, it will be missed.
    http://bikeraceinfo.com/tech/2010-interbike.html

    I have several bicycles, but always come back to the Torelli, and know that one day I will have another red Torelli that fits me to ride often...

    JR Namida
    Last edited by Namida12; 01-25-11 at 09:34 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the spokes are TI, which you should be able to tell because it has an off color to it vs stainless, if you can't tell take it an LBS they can tell real fast. But any way, just take a non abrasive Scotch Brite pad and rub the spokes several times, that will get stains and crud off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •