Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1991 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon Fiber

    I was looking for a bike and found this bike for sale locally. I am new to cycling and was wondering if someone could give me an idea what it may be worth. It does come with the Shimano 105 group set and time pedals. I have done some research but still not sure what price to put on it. Thanks for any help.

    Last edited by JeremyWF; 02-01-11 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,719
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if the components are in great shape, I may offer $200 or 250 for it. a 20yo bonded carbonfibre frame could last for years or break next week.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  3. #3
    Senior Member mulveyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In the wilds of NY
    My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyWF View Post
    I was looking for a bike and found this bike for sale locally. I am new to cycling and was wondering if someone could give me an idea what it may be worth. It does come with the Shimano 105 group set and time pedals. I have done some research but still not sure what price to put on it. Thanks for any help.

    You might want to do some deeper research - the early Epics are reputed to have issues with the frames de-bonding. That would ruin your whole day, to put it mildly.
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. I did not know that. I appreciate the heads up.

  5. #5
    King of the Obscure Frogbutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin. USA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Catena Lusso; 1988 Schwinn Ontare, Specialized Allez, Falcon...
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
    You might want to do some deeper research - the early Epics are reputed to have issues with the frames de-bonding. That would ruin your whole day, to put it mildly.
    There is a reason Specialized only warranted the frames for 10 years. Really nice bikes just look at it real close.
    1995 Specialized Allez Sport - 1988 Eddy Merckx Corsa-Extra Team Hitachi - 1988 Pinarello Catena Lusso - 1988 Schwinn Ontare - 1987 Battaglin - 1986 Specialized “Allez SE” Jim Merz Edition - 1984 Masi Gran Criterium - 198? BMZ Biemmezeta Mod. Gimondi - 197? Libertas - 1974 Falcon Olympic Model 78 - 1974 Bottecchia Special SN:334863 - 1972 Bottecchia Professional - 1962 Legnano Roma Olimplade SN: FA9376

  6. #6
    Я люблю суп abarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an email from Specialized to me regarding the Carbon Epic de-bonding issue:

    We seem to get that question a lot. Because other company had similar designs to ours, and have had problems, it does not mean we have had issue with our design. I would continue ride your current bike knowing that there has never been a recall. If you do run into any issue regarding your bike, please keep in mind that your current frame is covered by a life time warranty.

    Please feel free to contact me at the phone number and extension listed below if you have any further questions.

    Sincerely,
    Don
    (877) 808-8154 Ext. 7740

    If you want to know about the issue with Epic tubes separation read this thread.

    So sick and tired of people passing misinformation around.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mulveyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In the wilds of NY
    My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abarth View Post
    This is an email from Specialized to me regarding the Carbon Epic de-bonding issue:

    We seem to get that question a lot. Because other company had similar designs to ours, and have had problems, it does not mean we have had issue with our design. I would continue ride your current bike knowing that there has never been a recall. If you do run into any issue regarding your bike, please keep in mind that your current frame is covered by a life time warranty.

    Please feel free to contact me at the phone number and extension listed below if you have any further questions.

    Sincerely,
    Don
    (877) 808-8154 Ext. 7740

    If you want to know about the issue with Epic tubes separation read this thread.

    So sick and tired of people passing misinformation around.

    Did you notice they did not actually say "There has been no de-bonding issue with the Epic?" ;-)

    In regarding to throwing around threads about de-bonding: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ber-Allez-Epic , posts 17+ are rather interesting.
    Last edited by mulveyr; 02-02-11 at 11:53 AM.
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •