Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-11, 02:23 PM   #1
asfadunk
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1972 vintage Schwinn LeTour road bike

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2638328328.html

the bike above is being offered at $175. is this worth it?

I've been searching around for information on this model but i can't find anything regarding 72. only later 70's. from what i hear the bike is heavy; what are the downsides to that? also this will be a bike for commuting basically, will this serve that purpose well?

**i looked up the badge number and it seems to be from 64, not 72?
the number is f426263

Last edited by asfadunk; 10-09-11 at 03:07 PM.
asfadunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 04:18 PM   #2
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,976
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
$100 to $125 bike around here, add the typical CA premium, and it is close.

Yes, this will be a heavy bike.

How long of a commute? And what terrain (hills)? I rode a similar bike in college, it worked fine (til it was stolen....)
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 04:28 PM   #3
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
They did some weird things with LeTours, one year would be better built then the next. Unfortunately the 1972 or 73 which is what I think it is, weren't very good. Personally I think their over charging by about $100, but I'm weird especially since I know I can find better bikes for around that same figure their asking with a little patience.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 05:19 PM   #4
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
$100 to $125 bike around here, add the typical CA premium, and it is close.

Yes, this will be a heavy bike.
+1

I don't live in CA, but I think you could do better. Just picked up an '88 Schwinn Tempo for my girlfriend last week for $150.

The downside to a heavy bike is that it will be slower and less fun to ride. How far do you have to commute? It will certainly work.
FastJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 05:20 PM   #5
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
same bike is going for 120 on my CL...and I live in the bay area.. over priced? probably.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 12:10 PM   #6
asfadunk
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah i read more about the bike and discovered i could do a lot better for that price. still looking. thanks for le comments though
asfadunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 12:45 PM   #7
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
The Le Tour was introduced in late 1973 as a 1974 model year bike. There were no 1972 LeTours. Serial number F4xxxxx would mean the frame was manufactured in June, 1974. These early LeTours were made by National/Panasonic in Japan.

From Schwinn Bulletin 23, "Schwinn Bicycle Identification Numbers":

Bicycles from Japan have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples J677123 = September, 1976, 6J77123 = September, 1976.


Le Tour (and Super Le Tour) numbers (1978-80 and 1982 on) include the letter “S” with a production month letter followed by a series on numbers, the first one telling the year of production (8-1978, 0-1980). Example SC94653-March, 1979.

A=January, B=February, C=March, D=April, E=May, F=June, G=July, H=August, I=Not Used, J=September, K=October, L=November, M=December

__________________
- Stan
I'm with her.
Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 12:54 PM   #8
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
The Le Tour was introduced in late 1973 as a 1974 model year bike. There were no 1972 LeTours. Serial number F4xxxxx would mean the frame was manufactured in June, 1974. These early LeTours were made by National/Panasonic in Japan.

From Schwinn Bulletin 23, "Schwinn Bicycle Identification Numbers":

Bicycles from Japan have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples J677123 = September, 1976, 6J77123 = September, 1976.


Le Tour (and Super Le Tour) numbers (1978-80 and 1982 on) include the letter “S” with a production month letter followed by a series on numbers, the first one telling the year of production (8-1978, 0-1980). Example SC94653-March, 1979.

A=January, B=February, C=March, D=April, E=May, F=June, G=July, H=August, I=Not Used, J=September, K=October, L=November, M=December

That's what I thought, I couldn't recall any LeTours in 72 either that why I thought it was a 73, thanks for confirming that.
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 06:17 PM   #9
uncle uncle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Bikes: too many
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
That dude is got it going on, what with the checkered shorts, mid height stripe calf tube socks and the Kennedy Bro's hair. No wonder that babe is leaning into him, all coy like. I have a late seventies Le Tour and I love it, even though I have so called "nice" rides. Like comfort food, it's a comfort ride for me, taking me back to everything I dreamed of getting when I bought my first "real" bike. But, I wouldn't pay 2 bills for it. Maybe for that guys shorts I would.
uncle uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 10:20 PM   #10
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle uncle View Post
That dude is got it going on, what with the checkered shorts, mid height stripe calf tube socks and the Kennedy Bro's hair. No wonder that babe is leaning into him, all coy like. I have a late seventies Le Tour and I love it, even though I have so called "nice" rides. Like comfort food, it's a comfort ride for me, taking me back to everything I dreamed of getting when I bought my first "real" bike. But, I wouldn't pay 2 bills for it. Maybe for that guys shorts I would.
I laughed when I saw those shorts...but then I realize the style of those shorts look a lot better then today's pants hanging down to a guys thighs and his checkered underwear showing walking bow legged and holding his crotch to keep the pants on!!! Suddenly those shorts in that ad don't look so bad.

http://www.cbsnews.com/i/tim/2010/09...TS_480x360.jpg
rekmeyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 AM.