Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Michael Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    My Bikes
    Peugeot, Bianchi, Raleigh, Free Spirit, Nishiki, Gitane, and others...
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Miyata 1400 frame I'll never use....

    I traded a $20 garage sale find for a really nice big Norco Magnum with a 23-inch fame (YES !!!) and a Norco Cape Cod tandem (Hmmmmm) recently and the guy with the Norcos threw in what was left of an old stripped Miyata for free to sweeten the deal, as if I needed it.

    I flipped the Tandem.

    The old Miyata is a blue 1400 model from the 1980s with a 21-inch frame - and just about everything nice on the bike was already gone. The 1400 frame, however, is actually very nice but too small for me.

    Is there any interest in this ?? I suspect that it was a really nice bike at one time... I am in Southern Ontario and would not be adverse to a quid pro quo if I could find someone (or vice versa) who could actually use it.

    See the pictures:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4370787/Miyata_3871.JPG

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4370787/Miyata_3872.JPG

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4370787/Miyata_3873.JPG

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4370787/Miyata_3874.JPG

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4370787/Miyata_3875.JPG

  2. #2
    Senior Member sauze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, that's a sharp looking frame I can't imagine Miyata was using splined tubing + internal routing on anything low end . I'm sure you'll find someone in the TO area willing to trade / purchase it from you.

    quote from wikipedia


    "Miyata 1400: A high-end road bike sold only as a 1989 model with Shimano 600 components. It was higher-end than the 914 that was sold in the same year. Unlike the aluminum 1400A, the 1400 used Miyata's CrMo triple-butted construction."

    I'm sure the Miyata experts will chime in but if that frame was my size and I wanted it I'd pay over 100 without wheels.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,997
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a 1989 model with the full splined triple butted tubest. It's a great tubeset and Miyata was a very good manufacturer. It's really underdressed at present and deserves something along the lines of Ultegra. The frame alone should bring $125-$150 in the TO area.

  4. #4
    Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sterling VA
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Posts
    3,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shifter, chain, and rear brake calipers are missing. With a good overhaul, new tires, cables, and brake pads I could get about $150 in my market. Having the work done would cost that much so the only profitable way to overhaul the bike is to do it yourself.

    As is, in my market, someone looking for a restoration project or looking to create a fixie would pay about $75.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

  5. #5
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    The shifter, chain, and rear brake calipers are missing. With a good overhaul, new tires, cables, and brake pads I could get about $150 in my market.
    Are those the only bits missing?

    I have to believe that this bike overhauled, tuned-up and completed will get double that $150 on ebay. It a top-of-the-line model, and they don't come up everyday.

    I own a 1400A, (aluminum) so I'm not sure you can compare the two, but mine is a joy to ride. Quick, very light and responsive and the ride is really rather nice too. A great bike IMHO....
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  6. #6
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked out e-bay, and there is a 1400, same year, same color, same components in VGC and the seller is asking $400 BIN or Best Offer. We'll see if he gets that, but this bike is worth at least $300-350. I paid $340 for my 1400A, all-original Shimano 105 in VGC...

    It might well be worth the OP's time and alittle bit of money to put this baby back together and flip it for a very tidy profit...
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,997
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
    Just checked out e-bay, and there is a 1400, same year, same color, same components in VGC and the seller is asking $400 BIN or Best Offer. We'll see if he gets that, but this bike is worth at least $300-350. I paid $340 for my 1400A, all-original Shimano 105 in VGC...

    It might well be worth the OP's time and alittle bit of money to put this baby back together and flip it for a very tidy profit...
    The ebay bicycle, while being the same frame, does not have the same components. The ebay bicycle has the original Ultegra components, this one has much lower level and appears to have been orignally stripped then built back up with whatever was on hand. The rear derailleur is a cheap vertical parallelogram model, the crankset is swaged, the bars are steel, the levers have safety extensions, etc. The components them selves add minimal value, maybe $25-$50, so this would go for $150-$200, as is.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
    The ebay bicycle, while being the same frame, does not have the same components. The ebay bicycle has the original Ultegra components, this one has much lower level and appears to have been orignally stripped then built back up with whatever was on hand. The rear derailleur is a cheap vertical parallelogram model, the crankset is swaged, the bars are steel, the levers have safety extensions, etc. The components them selves add minimal value, maybe $25-$50, so this would go for $150-$200, as is.
    Yeah, my mistake. I don't know why I thought both bikes had the same components. This frame would make a real nice project though.

    Quick question if I may - how do you differentiate between Shimano 600 and Ultegra components? I believe the 600 is the forerunner of the Ultegra, but are they the same or is their a difference?
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  9. #9
    Constant tinkerer FastJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,120
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
    Quick question if I may - how do you differentiate between Shimano 600 and Ultegra components? I believe the 600 is the forerunner of the Ultegra, but are they the same or is their a difference?
    Shimano 600 became Shimano 600 Ultegra in the late 80s, then eventually in the mid 90s the '600' was dropped and it just became Ultegra. There's quite bit of overlap so in my mind 600 and Ultegra are the same thing, although obviously 600 from the early 80s is not the same as a 2011 Ultegra group.
    Why "derailer" is the correct way to spell the gear-change mechanism: sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

  10. #10
    Senior Member Giacomo 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens NYC
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
    Shimano 600 became Shimano 600 Ultegra in the late 80s, then eventually in the mid 90s the '600' was dropped and it just became Ultegra. There's quite bit of overlap so in my mind 600 and Ultegra are the same thing, although obviously 600 from the early 80s is not the same as a 2011 Ultegra group.
    Thanks for the info Jake!
    Colnago Super
    Basso Gap
    Fabio Barecci
    Miyata 1400A

    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
    ~
    John F. Kennedy, Former U.S. President

  11. #11
    Senior Member Michael Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    My Bikes
    Peugeot, Bianchi, Raleigh, Free Spirit, Nishiki, Gitane, and others...
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys:

    Thanks a bunch for the information & advice. I am close enough to the Toronto market that it might attract a buyer if I flog it there for $50. I have no intentions of putting the time and effort into building this frame into a rideable bike but perhaps some Miyata enthusiast will pick it up to have as a project. I'll strip the crummy wheels & seat off it to make it easy to mail and I'll post it on Craigslist, Kijiji (or eBay) and see if I can unload the frame to someone who knows its potential. Too bad its so small.

    I already have a much bigger Miyata that I use around town, one of the Miyata Elevation bikes, and it is the veritable felines fundament for shopping & doing short hops on. I have other bikes, lots of them, but the Elevation is such a delight in town & virtually theft-proof, unlike my other stuff.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4370787/Miyata_3883.JPG

    Thanks again.

    Mike

  12. #12
    Keener splendor TimmyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    My Bikes
    Nigel Dean Tour Ace, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, Ciocc Designer '84, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Lynskey Litespeed Ti, '69 Peter Cockburn Audax
    Posts
    1,022
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OR, trade or sell it in the vintage forum here. People are always looking for high end miyata frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigslist View Post
    Note to you BLOWHARD MORONS out there: The fork is not bent. Most PEUGEOTS of the '70s forks DID NOT line up with the head tube angle. This is normal. The last pic is from the 1972 Dutch catalog showing this EXACT MODEL in diagram. Keep your comments to yourself......
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect
    Retaining walls are a myth the man perpetuates to keep us down!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •