Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Faggin Is it worth it?

    Hi Everyone, I am looking for a bicycle with a racing geometry. I saw this and like it and was wondering if anyone can tell me if its a good race bike.


    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/2947600368.html

  2. #2
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    19,461
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Strong price, but worth it. Superbe Pro is great stuff, SLX speaks for itself. Condition looks excellent.

    Around here, the best deals on C/L are higher end older bikes like this one. Buyers just aren't interested, so you can find something really nice at a reasonable price. Realize $700 only buys an entry level new bike. C/L is full of buyers for $100 to $200 bikes. Buyers get scarce as you move up in price.

    Nice bike, I would go for it.
    Last edited by wrk101; 04-21-12 at 04:42 AM.

  3. #3
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's about right for a bike like that.

    Moving this thread to appraisals

  4. #4
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,092
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth every penny
    riding

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Everyone, I did not see this section. I am going in the morning to see the bike I spoke with the owner and confirmed he built this bike

  6. #6
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,522
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Yes, if as described, it is worth it..

    I paid five hundred for a similar vintage red one
    last year.........Mine required complete overhaul
    and tires and new rubber everywhere.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n#post13287963

    As you can see, i was happy to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  7. #7
    Fast+Bulbous thinktubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,510
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As t-bill mentioned, that's a stong price, but if it fits - go for it.

    One of the best riding/most fun bikes I've owned was a Faggin. Did everything right and was a hoot to ride. Mine was Tre-tubi and a little on the heavy side, so I can only imagine how SLX would ride. It also had similar era Suntour Sprint group (non-index) which I liked quite a bit.

    Hated to sell mine, but it was just a bit too small.
    Last edited by thinktubes; 04-21-12 at 09:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it for 650
    I am going to trip my 1973 paramount and swap components to campy. The bike has new tires, new tape in the package and the first bike computer ever made by Advocet. I am stoked

  9. #9
    Fast+Bulbous thinktubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,510
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!!!! I didn't see that the hubs were Campy - even better.

  10. #10
    Senior Member zukahn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver Co
    My Bikes
    Current 79 Nishiki Royal, Jeunet 620, 59 Crown Royal, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage.
    Posts
    4,721
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
    Strong price, but worth it. Superbe Pro is great stuff, SLX speaks for itself. Condition looks excellent.

    Around here, the best deals on C/L are higher end older bikes like this one. Buyers just aren't interested, so you can find something really nice at a reasonable price. Realize $700 only buys an entry level new bike. C/L is full of buyers for $100 to $200 bikes. Buyers get scarce as you move up in price.

    Nice bike, I would go for it.
    +1 If you can afford it and it your size this bike is worth the price great frame about as good as it gets for vintage steel nice components. It looks like it has already been sold hope you got it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I bought it.

  12. #12
    over the hill juls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    missouri
    My Bikes
    87 Terry Despatch-76 AD Inter 10 Mixte-87 Fuji 450 SE
    Posts
    893
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so the ad was deleted-PICTURES pretty please?

  13. #13
    Fast+Bulbous thinktubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,510
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going to change your user name to Johnonafaggin?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
    Are you going to change your user name to Johnonafaggin?
    no, I still have a couple schwinns , but can I change it?
    I will upload pictures soon enough the bicycle is at a friends who lent me the cash it will live there until I come up with another 540.00

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pictures as promised a little late, due to the fact I can't stop riding it long enough to picture it. it was bought of the original builder who had a spinal injury while motocross riding and the bicycle has sat ever since. It has suntour superbe derailers, crank. I replaced the cheap seat post with a super record cmpy. campy hubs laced to dinged wheels from the owner riding on flats(40-50psi) I purchased NOS suntour superbe levers and need to find the calipers and i will be done except for the bars and stem. rides nice, but not as nice or twitchy as the paramount I will miss the paramount, but at least the frame has chromed lugs and stays in perfect condition. the bicycle has been in the high desert since new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    9,775
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnonaschwinn View Post
    pictures as promised a little late, due to the fact I can't stop riding it long enough to picture it. it was bought of the original builder who had a spinal injury while motocross riding and the bicycle has sat ever since. It has suntour superbe derailers, crank. I replaced the cheap seat post with a super record cmpy. campy hubs laced to dinged wheels from the owner riding on flats(40-50psi) I purchased NOS suntour superbe levers and need to find the calipers and i will be done except for the bars and stem. rides nice, but not as nice or twitchy as the paramount I will miss the paramount, but at least the frame has chromed lugs and stays in perfect condition. the bicycle has been in the high desert since new.
    Cool bike.

    She's a looker.

  17. #17
    Senior Member OldsCOOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    northern michigan
    My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Posts
    4,914
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike! I've only seen one of these and it was at a garage sale for 500.00 and she couldnt sell it. How long before you get rid of the Bontrager tires?
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

    '85 Trek 460 road racer

    '89 Raleigh Technium PRE

    '79 Motobecane Super Mirage

  18. #18
    johnliu@earthlink.net jyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland OR
    My Bikes
    61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997
    Posts
    3,809
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one pretty bike!
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •