Before I got interested in cycling I picked up a thrift store road bike, rode it a little bit and couple years later sold it on CL.
I'm now trying to find that specfic style of bike again. Here's what I remember about it.
1. Very light so probably aluminum.
2. I think it had the words Sport Lite or Olympic Lite on the frame.
3. Had the extra safety "suicide" brake levers.
4. Shift levers were on the top of handle bar stem.
5. 26" road bike wheels
6. It didn't have a major brand name which is why I'm having trouble finding it. It may have been a Sears bike.
If anyone has some knowledge of who made bikes for Sears in the 80's, early 90's I'd appreciate some direction in that area.