Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nishiki International

    http://images.craigslist.org/5I85M25...1df68a17fa.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/5Lb5G35...cba5fa1c9d.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/5N15M35...7683831f1d.jpg

    Hey guys,
    Can anyone tell me what year this bike is? Also, what it's made of and original components would be great! Seller lists for $170, worth it? I know the international was about 2 models under the professional but, from what I can gather, their later models got a nice upgrade with better tubing and stuff like that. This looks like a 56in frame(bike masters please verify?) and a newer model but what do i know?
    Thanks for the help!
    -Vince

  2. #2
    Senior Member sauze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly not a 56 INCH frame, but I think this is smaller than 56 CM's too. I'm no Nishiki expert but this looks to be a Terry Style frame (smaller front wheel) often used to get a better fit on small frames. (I think)

  3. #3
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    19,407
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 Its a Terry frame, suited for someone around 5 foot tall. Worth the price.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh oops ahah so it's for shorter people? Guess it's a no-go then. I'll keep looking. So for future reference.. bike frames with a larger wheel in back are for for for shorter people?
    Thanks!
    -Vince

  5. #5
    Lotus Monomaniac Snydermann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1987 Lotus offered a Terry frame in 44cm and 48cm on the Unique and Elite 600. From what I've seen in other photos, the OP's bike looks like it's around the 48cm mark.

    Does anyone know where the the use of the word "Terry" for this style frame came from? (I did a quick net search and didn't find an answer yet).
    Always searching for Lotus literature and memorabilia for use at www.VintageLOTUSbicycles.com, can you help?

  6. #6
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,550
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynamevincenttt View Post
    Oh oops ahah so it's for shorter people? Guess it's a no-go then. I'll keep looking. So for future reference.. bike frames with a larger wheel in back are for for for shorter people?
    Thanks!
    -Vince
    No bikes with a small front wheel are for short people. The "Terry" style frame are optimized for a women specific geomentry and use the small front wheel to provided standover height for a smaller rider and allow for a slightly shorter frame length than you could get from a short frame with 2 700c wheels.

    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo SOLd, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis SOLD, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti SOLD, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe SOLD, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  7. #7
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,550
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snydermann View Post
    In 1987 Lotus offered a Terry frame in 44cm and 48cm on the Unique and Elite 600. From what I've seen in other photos, the OP's bike looks like it's around the 48cm mark.

    Does anyone know where the the use of the word "Terry" for this style frame came from? (I did a quick net search and didn't find an answer yet).

    IIRC Georgina Terry who started Terry Bicycles http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel created the frame idea and then everyone coppied it for a few years in the late '80s. I know Shogun, Bianchi, Fuji and I think Univega all had atleast one model in the $400 - 500 range
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo SOLd, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis SOLD, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti SOLD, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe SOLD, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. This is the first time I've seen one. Thanks for the info!

  9. #9
    Lotus Monomaniac Snydermann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    No bikes with a small front wheel are for short people. The "Terry" style frame are optimized for a women specific geomentry and use the small front wheel to provided standover height for a smaller rider and allow for a slightly shorter frame length than you could get from a short frame with 2 700c wheels.
    I think this is kind of funny today, given the design of modern bicycles, but the '87 Lotus Catalog says the 24" front wheel "...eliminated the need of sloping the top tube...". Bless their heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    IIRC Georgina Terry who started Terry Bicycles http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel created the frame idea and then everyone coppied it for a few years in the late '80s. I know Shogun, Bianchi, Fuji and I think Univega all had atleast one model in the $400 - 500 range
    Thank you for that. "Terry" is much easier to describe than "smaller bikes with 700c rear and 24" front wheels".
    Always searching for Lotus literature and memorabilia for use at www.VintageLOTUSbicycles.com, can you help?

  10. #10
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,550
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no pic but this may be worth checking out if it is close.

    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...050858552.html

    For sale my bianchi road bike.
    Color:blue,
    Size: 54'-56'
    Brakes,crank,headset.gears.: they are all shinano 600.
    Seat is a brooks good seat by the way.
    New gator skin continental tires..

    Really in need of $
    Asepting offers for pics,
    Txt to 213)361-0745.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo SOLd, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis SOLD, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti SOLD, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe SOLD, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm.. I saw that but there were no pics so I kinda skipped over it. All 600, what do you think? I went ahead and texted them, I'll try to post when they reply.
    Last edited by mynamevincenttt; 06-01-12 at 02:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •