Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-13, 08:00 PM   #1
ecdraceofspades
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
80's Astra 10 spd - Tour de France appraisal.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to find out how much my vintage 1980's Astra is worth.

Here are some pics of it:





All I know about the bike is that is 1980's and it has 27" wheels, and is a 10 speed. I originally got it with patterned steel wheels that used to make a horrible noise when braking. So I replaced those with aluminum rims. I also rebuilt the headset crown and both of the wheels hubs, as well as the bottom bracket. Moreover, I replaced the original steel handlebars & quill stem with aluminum components to lighten them up a bit. And I replaced the original center pull brakes with dual pivot brakes for extra stopping power. I have all original parts except for the original steel rims.

I have looked for listings for a bike like this and they range anywhere from $130 to $375, so I would like to get an appraisal on the bike given the aforementioned characteristics. I am also located in Brooklyn, NY.

Thank you for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astra-11.jpg (29.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-10.jpg (41.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-9.jpg (29.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-8.jpg (35.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-7.jpg (37.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-6.jpg (38.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-5.jpg (39.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-4.jpg (41.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-3.jpg (38.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-2.jpg (36.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Astra-1.jpg (40.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ecdraceofspades; 08-18-13 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Grammar & broken links
ecdraceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 08:24 PM   #2
oddjob2 
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 9,495
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdraceofspades View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to find out how much my vintage 1980's Astra is worth.

Here are some pics of it:



All I know about the bike is that is 1980's and it has 27" wheels, and is a 10 speed. I originally got it with patterned steel wheels that used to make a horrible noise when braking. So I replaced those with aluminum rims. I also rebuilt the headset crown and both of the wheels hubs, as well as the bottom bracket. Moreover, I replaced the original steel handlebars & quill stem with aluminum components to lighten them up a bit. And I replaced the original center pull brakes with dual pivot brakes for extra stopping power. I have all original parts except for the original steel rims.

I have looked for listings for a bike like this and they range anywhere from $130 to $375, so I would like to get an appraisal on the bike given the aforementioned characteristics. I am also located in Brooklyn, NY.

Thank you for your time.
Can't open photos
__________________
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
2016 Additions: 1981 Miyata 1000, 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Schwinn Paramount 50th Anniversary, Dawes Galaxy, Raleigh International, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska
oddjob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 08:35 PM   #3
ecdraceofspades
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I re uploaded the pictures. Let me know if they are still not working, thanks.
ecdraceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:00 PM   #4
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10,782
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
The bike is not from the 80's, wel most of it is not. later wheels and brakes. It is missing a few fasteners, maybe one on the crank and for sure one at the rear derailleur dropout mount. I would be pleasantly surprised if the rear derailleur can traverse all the cogs in back, it was not designed to so.
I think providing a value on a bike like this is a challenge, $100 would be my wild dart throw guess. Much beyond that and I would want a bike that is more congruent in its equipment and would spend my money elsewhere.
repechage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:06 PM   #5
oddjob2 
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
Bikes: Too many
Posts: 9,495
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
IMHO, list it for $150. If you can use the wheels and some of the other newer parts, sell it as a frame for a single speed.
__________________
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
2016 Additions: 1981 Miyata 1000, 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Schwinn Paramount 50th Anniversary, Dawes Galaxy, Raleigh International, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska
oddjob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:10 PM   #6
ecdraceofspades
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
The bike is not from the 80's, wel most of it is not. later wheels and brakes. It is missing a few fasteners, maybe one on the crank and for sure one at the rear derailleur dropout mount. I would be pleasantly surprised if the rear derailleur can traverse all the cogs in back, it was not designed to so.
I think providing a value on a bike like this is a challenge, $100 would be my wild dart throw guess. Much beyond that and I would want a bike that is more congruent in its equipment and would spend my money elsewhere.
Alright, thanks for the opinion. Although, a few things on that. The bike does work normally, I used to ride it everyday; and I'm kind of OCD when it comes to equipment, so every time there was any sort of of strange noise I would make sure it gets taken care of. That being said, the rear derailleur does traverse all the cogs on the freewheel. Although, given the range of the front derailleur it makes noise on the limits (Outer to inner speeds) as expected.

A few questions on the comment though, if not 80's then what era is the bike from? I was told it was an 80's bike from a guy at a bike shop. And also, would you care to elaborate as to what fasteners are missing? Thanks.
ecdraceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:14 PM   #7
ecdraceofspades
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
IMHO, list it for $150. If you can use the wheels and some of the other newer parts, sell it as a frame for a single speed.
Thank you sir. I was thinking of that, although my wife wants it out of the house ASAP. I still have my 1950's Hercules, my newer commuter and her bike; too many for a NYC apartment. And honestly I kinda want it out too, nowadays it is just taking space, and plenty of it, as I don't ride it anymore
ecdraceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.