Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Colnago Mexico '78 - '79 welcome to the party !

    welcome to my Colnago Mexico Party ! I have just finished cleaning my Mexico ('78 - '79 for sure) and I am glad to share with u the beauty and the beast of velo classic. I was reading a lot of informations on forums, documentary&history velo classic sites, catalogs, and finely I have to take the most imporant decision:
    - to sell it on ebay (your value opinions is welcome)
    - to keep it and to create into my house a sanctuary with Mexico expose and pictures with Colnago hystory around .
    PS: excuse the brake levels that are not from this story but I will found some Suntour Superbe Pro or Campagnolo Nuova Record to accomplished the mission

    enjoy http://www.flickr.com/photos/102083995@N08/sets

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmette, IL
    Posts
    4,545
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the steel Campy crank. That bike should ebay for $1000.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
    I like the steel Campy crank. That bike should ebay for $1000.
    thanks for reply. There is any topic here dedicated to selling the classic bike? Or other dedicated site.... I am asking that becouse I have recently register an ebay account with a paypal verified account but I am limited to 500 $ value transaction becouse I am a novice/bigginer seller.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CrescentWrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt this bike would fetch that much on ebay, particularly considering the smorgasboard of components going on there. My feeling is that most buyers would be turned of my this mix and match as people interested in vintage bikes and who are willing to fork out that kind of dough would be more mindful of having period correct parts. Just take a look at ebay in the vintage bikes section and see what you would be competing with.
    Quote Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
    I like the steel Campy crank. That bike should ebay for $1000.

  5. #5
    Senior Member american psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Luzern, Switzerland
    My Bikes
    1972 Colnago Super, 1972 Masi Gran Criterium, 1973 Bianchi Specialissima Professional, 1977 Cilo, 1998 Colnago Monotitan, 2003 Klein Adept Race
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the parts are worth more than the whole - the frame in that condition with the rust-spotted fork is a $3-400 dollar product.

    you'd be best served to build it and ride it, upgrading to either period-correct campagnolo super record parts as they come to you and riding it on nostalgia rides, or putting a modern group on it and riding it all the time.

    you're going to have to polish the rust off that fork and touch up those bare metal/rusty spots before they get any worse.
    1972 Colnago Super, 1972 Masi Gran Criterium, 1973 Bianchi Specialissima Professional, 1977 Cilo, 1998 Colnago Monotitan, 2003 Klein Adept Race

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by american psycho View Post
    the parts are worth more than the whole - the frame in that condition with the rust-spotted fork is a $3-400 dollar product.

    you'd be best served to build it and ride it, upgrading to either period-correct campagnolo super record parts as they come to you and riding it on nostalgia rides, or putting a modern group on it and riding it all the time.

    you're going to have to polish the rust off that fork and touch up those bare metal/rusty spots before they get any worse.
    It could be an option to sell each part on ebay. I am agree with the original Campa Super record, but Suntour and Colnago are from the same story begining of Jan Raas competition period , from Colnago team. He was usualy riding with Colnago Mexico -Suntour equiped and when he became team manager, Suntour was officialy all over his Colnago team bikes. In that perioad Suntour was equal with Campa and Shimano, (Superbe group) but more cheap.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrescentWrench View Post
    I highly doubt this bike would fetch that much on ebay, particularly considering the smorgasboard of components going on there. My feeling is that most buyers would be turned of my this mix and match as people interested in vintage bikes and who are willing to fork out that kind of dough would be more mindful of having period correct parts. Just take a look at ebay in the vintage bikes section and see what you would be competing with.
    It could be an option to sell each part on ebay. I am agree with the original Campa Super record, but Suntour and Colnago are from the same story begining of Jan Raas competition period , from Colnago team. He was usualy riding with Colnago Mexico -Suntour equiped and when he became team manager, Suntour was officialy all over his Colnago team bikes. In that perioad Suntour was equal with Campa and Shimano, (Superbe group) but more cheap.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,721
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roliviuro View Post
    thanks for reply. There is any topic here dedicated to selling the classic bike? Or other dedicated site.... I am asking that becouse I have recently register an ebay account with a paypal verified account but I am limited to 500 $ value transaction becouse I am a novice/bigginer seller.
    You could become a paid member here which would allow you to sell it in the C&V marketplace forum.
    Otherwise, part it out on ebay, sell the components first. That will dodge the value restriction.
    Do note that wheels are expensive to ship, the volume overrules the weight.
    Many just take the wheels apart and sell the hubs. Be sure to take the freehweel off first!

    The use of Suntour in European Team racing was small. You could if it was so equipped make a case for that if you had news clippings or press releases to back that use up. In the wider world, Colnago and Campagnolo was synonymous at this time, it took Shimano years more to break into racing in a significant way.

    I do smile a bit, "welcome to the Colnago party"... and here buy my date, I want the money more than the companionship.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by repechage View Post
    You could become a paid member here which would allow you to sell it in the C&V marketplace forum.
    Otherwise, part it out on ebay, sell the components first. That will dodge the value restriction.
    Do note that wheels are expensive to ship, the volume overrules the weight.
    Many just take the wheels apart and sell the hubs. Be sure to take the freehweel off first!

    The use of Suntour in European Team racing was small. You could if it was so equipped make a case for that if you had news clippings or press releases to back that use up. In the wider world, Colnago and Campagnolo was synonymous at this time, it took Shimano years more to break into racing in a significant way.

    I do smile a bit, "welcome to the Colnago party"... and here buy my date, I want the money more than the companionship.
    12224554775_dd58c74cce_o.jpg12225144616_fc5072009e_o.jpg12224963244_119d293234_o.jpg
    Buckler -Colnago- Decca team - Colnago with Suntour equipped. I have wrote some documentation here http://www.ciclism.ro/forums/index.p...an-club/page-3 (you will see <roliviu> my user on Colnago club forum)
    And thanks for ebay advise.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,721
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might raise the value of Suntour for those looking for an alternate to Campagnolo. Thanks for the sharing the images.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •