Hey guys hows it going, just started biking again after many many years, i just picked up a couple rides and this is my most recent one.
i just joined the site and got a few questions for you guys.
this is a bike i just acquired about 3 weeks ago, it was covered in dirt/grease, a bit of rust and so on, i cleaned it up....
btw it is a pinarello veneto
this is my finished product, pretty much just finished it today, new fizik seat, new handlebar wraps, new pedals, new vittoria zaffiro white tires, and a couple other things i can't remember right now, also grease bearings, cleaned out the cassettes and crank, and rebuffed the shiny parts with special metal buffing compound.
I have a few questions
1) i've seen sites like bulgier.net - /pics/bike/Catalogs/ and so on but i can't find a catalogue with this bike in it (pinarello veneto), i saw one that site but i don't think it's no where near the same year. what year is it? What did it sell for in it's time? Where this model stands in the pinarello line, mid-range, high, top? The shifters are the one's where you shift in the brake levers, for some reason i have a hunch this may have been upgraded from downtube shifters, but i could be wrong. any info on the bike would be fantastic cause i've had a hell of a time trying to find info on google.
2) What is this worth now approximately, it has shimano 105 group for everything and considering the fact that i've put all these new parts on it and cleaned it up nice and spiffy.
3) I wanted to change the seat post to find something super shiny and chromy, it is a 26.8mm seat post. The only thing i've narrowed it down to is a thomson elite silver seat post, do you guys know where i can get one super cheap, i just missed a brand new one on ebay that went for 35 bucks, i wanted to drop kick myself for that, i missed it by minutes. Or if you guys have another seat post you would suggest i get in size 26.8 that is super shiny then let me know.
4) the fork came out pretty shiny, but i was taking some rust off with 800 sand paper and may have put some scratches in it, i tried using 2000 grit to smooth it out and it worked a little, i still have some areas on the fork that look like it has a dull residue left on it. you can't really notice it, but i'm kinda nitpicky with that stuff, you guys have any tips for fully restoring the fork to it's original full shine? or chrome restoration, i'm assuming it's a chrome fork.
5) also some decals aren't so great, the veneto sticker near the headset is crumbling off like cookies, the ones on the frame are 90% ok, i head pinarello bikes are notorious for flaking or peeling decals, but that's the only bad thing i've ever heard, so i'll take that..... anyways how easy is it to get replacement decals for this bike, do i have to order straight from pinarello?
hope you guys like my ride, thanks for your time, if you can provide me with any information on any of this stuff it would be super duper greatly appreciated.