Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: 1950's De Rosa

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1950's De Rosa

    Does anyone have a photograph of the mid 1950's head badge please, or the colour of the background to the Olympic rings on the right-hand side ?
    My photograph shows the head badge in question, which was superseded in 1957 by a different design.
    The head badge was also replicated on the seat tube and a possibly smaller one in the centre of the down tube between the De Rosa Ugo lettering.
    Any information about this particular head badge design, including it's size, would be appreciated. Also, any information about the strange "broken" Olympic bands at each end of the lettering would be most helpful.
    Thank you.Immagine1 009 (1).jpgde-rosa-1956_07.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keidal View Post
    Does anyone have a photograph of the mid 1950's head badge please, or the colour of the background to the Olympic rings on the right-hand side ?
    My photograph shows the head badge in question, which was superseded in 1957 by a different design.
    The head badge was also replicated on the seat tube and a possibly smaller one in the centre of the down tube between the De Rosa Ugo lettering.
    Any information about this particular head badge design, including it's size, would be appreciated. Also, any information about the strange "broken" Olympic bands at each end of the lettering would be most helpful.
    Thank you.Immagine1 009 (1).jpgde-rosa-1956_07.jpg
    To the best of my knowledge, the era of the headtube decal you show does not match the down tube decal era. Why are you looking for this information?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please explain what your knowledge is. It is of no consequence why I'm asking for the information.

  4. #4
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    22,305
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keidal View Post
    Please explain what your knowledge is. It is of no consequence why I'm asking for the information.
    Citoyen du Monde is one of the oldest members here and probably one of the most knowledgeable about Italian bikes from the '50s and 60s.


    Perhaps is ask for information about your bike/project to keep you from making an expensive mistake like stripping the paint off of a possibly rare bike.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,979
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BG, my take is CdM does not spit out information without a reason to do so. The OP is being a bit oblique. The info is not easily found. There is no meeting of the minds.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Drillium Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sultan, WA
    My Bikes
    73 Colnago Super, 78 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
    Posts
    5,346
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by repechage View Post
    BG, my take is CdM does not spit out information without a reason to do so. The OP is being a bit oblique. The info is not easily found. There is no meeting of the minds.
    That would be too bad. We all share info here - every day. Why would that change/be different just because we're talking about something really rare?

    DD
    My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

    "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that's pretty close"

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=. It is of no consequence why I'm asking for the information.[/QUOTE]

    I wouldn't give the original poster any information if this is his attitude.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Drillium Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sultan, WA
    My Bikes
    73 Colnago Super, 78 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
    Posts
    5,346
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perhaps he has a line and doesn't want anyone else to wreck his chances? That would be understandable to all of us here, right?

    Why can't someone with information simply help a guy out without having to know the ins/outs and what's/wherefores? Have we gotten so proprietary with information we'll only give it out if a particular set of parameters is met? That smacks of snobbery of the highest order.

    OP: I hope your research yields results. I wish I could help, but this subject is outside my area of expertise. I was hoping to gain some knowledge along with you, but I'm not very confident at this point

    DD
    My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

    "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that's pretty close"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    11,709
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
    Perhaps he has a line and doesn't want anyone else to wreck his chances? That would be understandable to all of us here, right?DD
    It would be to me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If CdM is unwilling to cough up any info, and I was the OP, I'd just buy the dang thing.

    Some people think that their sometimes hazy recollections are the final word. There are no gods here, and a good deal of the information given as fact is erroneous.

    Legit question with illegitimate responses, is my take.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one bike shown belongs to a friend of mine and I believe I also know the owner of the second bike shown. The first is definitely not for sale and if the second one is the bike that I think, it is also not for sale, so this means that the OP is looking for information about a bike that they either do not own or whose provenance is perhaps somewhat murky. I know of at least two people who have attempted to recreate/sell bikes as being 50's De Rosa bikes, so when somebody asks a question like the OP, I become very leery. I did provide the information that the decals on the two bikes shown do not coincide with one another. I can also state that some of the information included in the OP's post is simply incorrect. Ugo claims he left premises in Niguarda much earlier than 1957. I take it that the OP is basing his 1957 date on the replica paint job frames built by De Rosa. The decals for the 1957 replica paint job were based upon a frame that De Rosa had in their factory (it was still there the last time that I was there). The dates of the replica paint jobs were not based upon the dates in which the decal changes took place but rather showed the decals as they were at that particular date. For example, I have a bike that has the same head badge as the 57 replica paint job but a different down tube decal, but teh down tube decal is not the same as the one on the '65 replica paint job.

    I am somewhat confused as to how being straighforward and clear about what your intentions are for the use of the information could jeopardize one's chances of purchasing a bike.

    Rode my 1953 Marastoni (with original paint, decals and components) on a 40 mile club ride today, will likely ride my 1963 De Rosa (with original paint, decals and components) on another club ride on Tuesday...

  12. #12
    Mote of Dust degan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiangshi View Post
    If CdM is unwilling to cough up any info, and I was the OP, I'd just buy the dang thing.

    Some people think that their sometimes hazy recollections are the final word. There are no gods here, and a good deal of the information given as fact is erroneous.

    Legit question with illegitimate responses, is my take.
    I, for one, throw out information that I know is incorrect just to keep people on their toes.
    Just kidding.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,979
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by degan View Post
    I, for one, throw out information that I know is incorrect just to keep people on their toes.
    Just kidding.
    Agent saboteur.


    And thanks CdM for describing what you did.
    Definitely not many of these around, and probably even fewer with original paint.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your interest in this item. I asked simple questions and they have not been answered.
    I am not about to buy such a frame but I would probably like to find one for myself. The suggestion / inference of murky provenance is not to my liking and is uncalled for.
    The reason that I asked this question is that a friend of mine in Italy is gathering material to eventually publish a book on the Italian racing bicycle, a definitive work if you like.
    He has a vast knowledge of the subject and a huge amount of information in various forms which he has gathered over many years. He also has personal contact with current and retired frame builders etc. I have limited similar contact but I do not live in Italy.
    I do however assist my friend in identifying frames and help him in any way that I can, so that the content of his proposed book will be as accurate as possible.
    My friend has a rough but straight 1956 De Rosa frame and fork and it is likely that he will restore it to it's former glory.
    In this context, it is essential that the correct decals are used. I do the artwork for unobtainable decals as a hobby and another friend produces these professionally for me.
    As far as I'm aware, decals for a 1956 De Rosa frame are not currently available to purchase.
    In case you think that I'm "some jerk out to con folks and make a quick quid", you are sadly mistaken.
    I have been restoring / rebuilding frames etc. for well over sixty years, including those from the UK, France, USA and Italy, so I do have some knowledge of this subject and in my opinion, I also have decent moral standards.
    I know that there were several different De Rosa decals used during the 1950's. and I now know the answers to the questions posed.
    I wish you all well; my friend and myself will help you in any we can with your Italian bicycle identification problem.
    Last edited by keidal; 07-27-15 at 01:58 AM. Reason: grammatical

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    14,266
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oddest thread of the year.

  16. #16
    Senior Member daf1009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    More than I did a year ago!
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    Oddest thread of the year.
    I concur rootboy...feels like a TON of mistrust going on in this thread...interesting...
    58 Raleigh Lenton Reg Harris Grand Prix, 62 Raleigh Lenton Blue Streak, 62 Raleigh Gran Sport, 72 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 72 Schwinn Super Sport, 80 Raleigh Super Course, 81 Miyata 1000, 81 Austro Daimler Vent Noir II, 85 Bianchi Veloce, 85 Tommasini Prestige, 87 Team Miyata, 88 Schwinn Ontare, 89 Masi Team 3V, 91 Tommasso SL-56, 92 Bridgestone RB-1, 93 Bridgestone XO-1, 92 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA, 93 Tommasini Super Prestige 05 Pinarello Surprise

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,979
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keidal View Post
    Thank you all for your interest in this item. I asked simple questions and they have not been answered.
    I am not about to buy such a frame but I would probably like to find one for myself. The suggestion / inference of murky provenance is not to my liking and is uncalled for.
    The reason that I asked this question is that a friend of mine in Italy is gathering material to eventually publish a book on the Italian racing bicycle, a definitive work if you like.
    He has a vast knowledge of the subject and a huge amount of information in various forms which he has gathered over many years. He also has personal contact with current and retired frame builders etc. I have limited similar contact but I do not live in Italy.
    I do however assist my friend in identifying frames and help him in any way that I can, so that the content of his proposed book will be as accurate as possible.
    My friend has a rough but straight 1956 De Rosa frame and fork and it is likely that he will restore it to it's former glory.
    In this context, it is essential that the correct decals are used. I do the artwork for unobtainable decals as a hobby and another friend produces these professionally for me.
    As far as I'm aware, decals for a 1956 De Rosa frame are not currently available to purchase.
    In case you think that I'm "some jerk out to con folks and make a quick quid", you are sadly mistaken.
    I have been restoring / rebuilding frames etc. for well over sixty years, including those from the UK, France, USA and Italy, so I do have some knowledge of this subject and in my opinion, I also have decent moral standards.
    I know that there were several different De Rosa decals used during the 1950's. and I now know the answers to the questions posed.
    I wish you all well; my friend and myself will help you in any we can with your Italian bicycle identification problem.
    An inquiry with some of the info above would have been well received I think.
    Too bad possibly on the '56 DeRosa though, if it had its original paint, it would be a better route to leave it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repeat; I asked simple questions and I haven't received answers. I have received several encouraging and sensitive replies and also, several replies not particularly to my liking, to put it mildly.
    As a result of this situation, I have now decided to leave Bike Forums, so any further correspondence won't be read by myself.
    I wish you all good luck with your project, quest or whatever.
    Good-bye.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Pars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    Oddest thread of the year.
    Agreed. Lots of mistrust going on...

    Quote Originally Posted by keidal View Post
    I wish you all well; my friend and myself will help you in any we can with your Italian bicycle identification problem.
    Given post 18, I guess not...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    14,266
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Anyone care to analyze this one? Not me.

    Only to say that is it kind of sad a new member with some questions about a very interesting bike/project, has bailed.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    11,709
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    Anyone care to analyze this one? Not me.

    Only to say that is it kind of sad a new member with some questions about a very interesting bike/project, has bailed.
    The "brain" drain out of this forum over the last five years has been spectacular. imho

  22. #22
    Senior Member inkandsilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    553
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keidal View Post
    Please explain what your knowledge is. It is of no consequence why I'm asking for the information.
    The thread imploded here in post #3 . Yes, I can see plenty of reasons why someone may not want to explain every last detail of their search for information. But nobody was asking for that. Just a little added context (even less than the OP provided later) would have been sufficient to make anyone willing to share information. But this rude reply isn't going to make anyone want to help. It was so prickly that I thought maybe it was a non-native language issue, but later posts make me doubt that.
    Last edited by inkandsilver; 07-27-15 at 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar
    1977 Centurion Semi-Pro -- 1983 Trek 610 (in progress) -- 1987 Schwinn High Sierra (dropbar) -- 1996 Trek 930 -- 2005 Stumpjumper HT -- 2011 Jamis Coda

  23. #23
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,785
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    The "brain" drain out of this forum over the last five years has been spectacular. imho
    Yet....we are both still here. Not sure I like what that implies....

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a regular poster or all that informed on vintage lightweights. I have come here a couple of times for information. When I do so I realize no one is required to share their time and knowledge with me. I am grateful for any help I receive. I try to make replying easy by supplying pictures and whatever else I know about the bike. I do what I can to ad some content to the forum posting when I think I can ad something to the discussion. I do not say things like "I repeat; I asked simple questions and I haven't received answers."

  25. #25
    Fat Guy on a Little Bike KonAaron Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Two wheeled ones
    Posts
    13,781
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keidal View Post
    I repeat; I asked simple questions and I haven't received answers. I have received several encouraging and sensitive replies and also, several replies not particularly to my liking, to put it mildly.
    As a result of this situation, I have now decided to leave Bike Forums, so any further correspondence won't be read by myself.
    I wish you all good luck with your project, quest or whatever.
    Good-bye.
    Could you please let us know what decal service you provide? I want to make certain that I don't mistakenly use it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •