Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    GT, Schwinn, Follis
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Upgrade Steelman Stage Race or spend $3,000 on new carbon bike

    I am been riding for almost a year and want a better road bike. I have a Steelman Stage Race frame that fell into my hand off of Ebay for $300. I need help processing the the thought process of purchasing the new 11 speed 105 group set and new Ulterga wheels set for a total of $1,000. (2) Invest in a new carbon frame bike in the $3,000 range with 105 during the coming Black Friday / year end sales. I am sure the new carbon bike with 105 will be lighter (17 lbs vs 21 lbs) but should that be the deciding factor?

    I am now riding a older Trek 560 steel frame. I am 55 years old but I would like to start doing century rides and just completed a 900 mile 2 week ride. If this is the wrong section please let me know where to post this question.
    Last edited by dcj120; 08-24-15 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Elwood Indiana
    My Bikes
    they change so much I'm tired of updating this
    Posts
    3,123
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrade the Steelman, you'll like it much better than a cf frame.
    Semper fi

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    11,954
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for option #1 .

    Should be able to go Ultegra across the board for a grand.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Elwood Indiana
    My Bikes
    they change so much I'm tired of updating this
    Posts
    3,123
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check Ribblecycles, great prices on groupsets. But keep the Steelman up and running. I would upgrade the Trek before going to a cf frame.
    Semper fi

  5. #5
    Fast+Bulbous thinktubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, My Steelman SR is 19.5 lbs with good old 9sp Ultegra and no tricky stuff other than a CF fork.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cowan Heights, CA and Beaufort, NC
    My Bikes
    Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Colnago, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Fuji, Scott, Landshark, Centurion, Hujsak, Masi
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with the Steelman. I just finished putting together mine with Athena from Ribble, Pacenti/White Industries wheels built by my buddy at Ride Fast Racing, a Brooks C-17, Campy aero post, Cinelli stem and it is just under 20#'s. Third ride was yesterday, ~60 miles and my 54 y.o. body was quite comfortable all day. Handles wonderfully and it doesn't look like every other bike on the road. BTW, nice price on the frame. I paid a bit more than that with the Time CF fork.

    BTW, I'm into mine about $2K including all the bits, frame, and fork. The only thing I ended up using from the parts stash was the stem. I did get the good guy price on the wheel build, so add another ~$150.00 for the labor there.
    Last edited by PeregrineA1; 08-24-15 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add cost info

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pushing 50 soon also, so I feel your pain.

    Since this is CV, I will buck the system here. Buy the carbon bike if there's no financial burden. Now, I have to say, not all carbon frames are the same. Some are just dead feeling and some what stiff and harsh. I really like my Time and Ridley, but they are a bit more. If you are still jamming off the saddle, then you will like the carbon bike. Its not that I dislike steel bikes, I still have a few, but have ridden them, raced and trained on them all my life. I find CF bikes to be a great material. Lightness aside.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    17,389
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    I would go for option #1 .

    Should be able to go Ultegra across the board for a grand.
    based on what I saw on ribble the other day, less than $700, group and wheels.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    Who drummed for Thoreau?

    1986 Centurion Ironman
    1987 D'Arienzo SLX
    2002 Douglas Vector (gravel)
    2004 Cinelli XLR8R2
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cowan Heights, CA and Beaufort, NC
    My Bikes
    Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Colnago, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Fuji, Scott, Landshark, Centurion, Hujsak, Masi
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regard to carbon, at that price point make sure you ride it. I bought at that level, or the equivalent in 2009, and that was the deadest feeling bike I have ridden-since moved along. The Steelman, for me at ~200#'s, is lively, responsive, sprints well, and I feel appreciably no more flex in the BB than in my recently sold carbon Scott CR-1 Pro (a nice lively bike).

    I'm fairly certain that if ask this question in the 41, you will get the opposite response.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
    With regard to carbon, at that price point make sure you ride it. I bought at that level, or the equivalent in 2009, and that was the deadest feeling bike I have ridden-since moved along. The Steelman, for me at ~200#'s, is lively, responsive, sprints well, and I feel appreciably no more flex in the BB than in my recently sold carbon Scott CR-1 Pro (a nice lively bike).

    I'm fairly certain that if ask this question in the 41, you will get the opposite response.....

    Many Carbon bikes are built so stiff and stiffer that they forgotten that it actually need a little flex to get that spring back feel associated with racing bikes. I love my Time. It has that snap back feel to it off the saddle. If most of the riding is done on the saddle, then I am not sure that feel is needed or important. If getting off the saddle throwing the bike around a bit, then get one that's alive. worth every penny if you ask me.

  11. #11
    iab
    iab is offline
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    8,019
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd buy the carbon bike, keep the Steelman and ride both.

    Duh.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    11,954
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
    based on what I saw on ribble the other day, less than $700, group and wheels.
    Yeah, that's more like it.

    Sure is a lot of performance at that pricepoint.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    11,954
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iab View Post
    I'd buy the carbon bike, keep the Steelman and ride both.

    Duh.
    Of course this is the correct answer if you have the $$$$$.

    I wouldn't buy a brand new CF bike though.

    I'd start looking for a Look 585 frameset to build.

    Incredible performance and some decent pricing if you are patient.



    Last edited by gomango; 08-24-15 at 06:20 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Soody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    F. Moser Forma, Gunnar CX, Ken Evans, Pete Tansley tourer, Avanti Sprint
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
    Go with the Steelman. I just finished putting together mine with Athena from Ribble, Pacenti/White Industries wheels built by my buddy at Ride Fast Racing, a Brooks C-17, Campy aero post, Cinelli stem and it is just under 20#'s. Third ride was yesterday, ~60 miles and my 54 y.o. body was quite comfortable all day. Handles wonderfully and it doesn't look like every other bike on the road. BTW, nice price on the frame. I paid a bit more than that with the Time CF fork.

    BTW, I'm into mine about $2K including all the bits, frame, and fork. The only thing I ended up using from the parts stash was the stem. I did get the good guy price on the wheel build, so add another ~$150.00 for the labor there.
    Lovely simple build. I bet it rides great too.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    11,954
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soody View Post
    Lovely simple build. I bet it rides great too.
    +1

    Very nice.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    GT, Schwinn, Follis
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •